Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 08-02-2015, 07:46 PM   #1
12slots4ever

Default XR8 window won't go up

Hello everyone, my AU S2 XR8 passenger front window will not close! I have pulled the switch apart (I am now an expert) and cleaned all the carbon up but STILL no movement up, I can hear a little bit noise as it tries to go down. Question. How can I hot wire the switch to get the window up? It rains more often than not here at night so any help is great. Thanks George
12slots4ever is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2015, 09:00 PM   #2
11ford11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: XR8 window won't go up

did you clean the drivers switch as well -
if you have rear switches swap one with front passenger switch
remove door trim and apply power and earth to wires at window motor
11ford11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-02-2015, 10:47 PM   #3
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Also put some Selleys Ezy Glide (from Bunnings, Big W, Mitre 10 Kmart etc.) on the channels the glass slides in.

If its making a clicking - grinding noise the teeth have gone and you need a winder mechanism; more often the cables break or the cable guides fail. You'll likely need new ones like this: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ford-Falc...item3a908c9711
Old 09-02-2015, 05:35 PM   #4
12slots4ever

Thanks guys, I did clean the main switch and the others when I noticed something, there is a little electrical post under the little bits of metal that rock back & forth with the button. They are on opposite sides to each other, for instance 1 forward and on the left and 1 rearward and to the right and they touch the rocker as it touches the power post. Hope you can picture what I'm describing. The marks on the bottom of the rocker show you which way to put them back in.
Old 10-02-2015, 03:32 PM   #5
BillC

Just keep hitting the up button 23 times or some weird figure like that and it starts working again. Don't know why but it does.
BillC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2015, 09:49 AM   #6
tonybinstead
Tony
Donating Member1

You may have a dead spot on the motor caused by being stuck in the same position and having power applied until the thermal cut out kicks in. After a while it gets a carbon build up and stops working. The motors can be pulled a part but you need to use a solder sucker or solderwick to remove the solder around the 2 main terminals.

If you want to hot wire the motor, its connected to terminals 7 (yellow green wire) and 2 (yellow black) on the plug, of course if the motor has a dead spot it may not move.
tonybinstead is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2015, 04:47 PM   #7
BillC

Did you try what I said 12slots4ever. Trust me it works
BillC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2015, 01:33 PM   #8
12slots4ever

I tried everything even hitting the button 23 times. What I ended doing was pull them all apart (the switches) and cleaned them up and they are all working "FOR NOW" I think window switches are something that will always play up sooner or later needing attention. Thanks for your help everybody, many heads are better than mine cause mine doesn't always work!!
Old 12-03-2015, 06:46 AM   #9
gra

ive found that both the main switch and the other door switch must both be cleaned at same time otherwise still may not work
gra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 12-03-2015, 09:12 AM   #10
12slots4ever

Yeah, both must be operational, what I found is that little bits of carbon build up and over time they cut of conductivity till you scrape it off. In the early days I would buy another from the wreckers and throw mine out till I worked out that they were serviceable.
Old 12-03-2015, 12:29 PM   #11
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Rather than another thread.

Can I replace just the motor if it is at fault, or do I need the regulator and motor as a unit?
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2015, 12:48 PM   #12
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

sorry to threat hijack, my drivers side in the AU went down today and I heard something break I am guessing in the door and fall down internally. Now window wont go up. Can clearly hear the motor free spinning?
Thank fully I have secure underground parking at work, but will need to sort this out this arvo. Any ideas on what to expect?
Old 06-11-2015, 08:33 PM   #13
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

Ok disconnected the regulator to put the window up. Found the culprit that fell loose inside the door

Did it fall out of here?