Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 04-11-2013, 09:39 PM   #1
black13
born to be mild

Default new tyres

G'day folks, after 20k kms my tyres are just about gone. I have done wheel rotation at 5k kms interval. I'm curious as to your wear on your tyres on your st. I have found the eagle f1 to be a good tyre, i drive like captain sensible most of the time, but have the occasional bursts of insanity.
What sort of mileage are you getting , i have spoken to a couple of tyre dealers in adelaide & they said that 20k is crap, but that is from dealers trying to sell different brand tyres.
I considered the new conti sport contact 5 @$350 per tyre or the potenza re002@$250 per tyre. I was quoted nearly $400 per tyre for the eagle f1 from a couple of places, but in the end i got them for $265 per tyre fitted & balanced.
I'm interested in your thoughts of the oem tyres & what sort of mileage you are getting
cheers

black13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2013, 10:15 PM   #2
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Default Re: new tyres

Lv Focus, 60k on standard rubber. Poor alignment meant they got chewed out on the insides. 20k seems very short, are they wearing evenly? 5k km rotations are also overkill, every 10k km or at yearly services is when I rotate.

The new tyres I got were from a new focus. E300 model or something. Seemed to wear fine in the 9k km they were on the car.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2013, 08:18 AM   #3
Mulga
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tyre wear depends on so many factors: driving style, tyre pressures, type of driving i.e. Stop start and even the batch of tyres produced at that time.

I've read a few posts where others are getting between 20-30k on the Eagle F1's, so maybe this is about right. Based on the depth of my tread on the F1's at the moment, I expect to get around 30k, although I live in a semi-rural area, so the car has an easy life.

Personally, I like the Eagle F1's, and $265.00 fitted, seems to be a pretty good price.
Mulga is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2013, 04:48 PM   #4
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

Mine is a 2006 LS Focus and I changed out my tyres at 50,000km. They were only 50% gone but I changed them only this year because they were getting old and I did alot of Sydney city driving.

20,000km is definitely VERY short. If that is a regular occurrence, I would suggest you look at your driving style.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2013, 07:23 PM   #5
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

I recommend the Potenza RE002's. I have them currently and they have so much grip.

I last had Potenza RE001's and they lasted 40,000km.
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2013, 09:07 PM   #6
black13
born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulga View Post
Tyre wear depends on so many factors: driving style, tyre pressures, type of driving i.e. Stop start and even the batch of tyres produced at that time.

I've read a few posts where others are getting between 20-30k on the Eagle F1's, so maybe this is about right. Based on the depth of my tread on the F1's at the moment, I expect to get around 30k, although I live in a semi-rural area, so the car has an easy life.

Personally, I like the Eagle F1's, and $265.00 fitted, seems to be a pretty good price.

Same for me, the tyres will get maybe a couple of thousand kms more before they are down to the wear indicators, & from what ive been told, that is fair.
I did a trip to perth at easter , so travelled 7500 kms in 2:5 weeks, the nullabor is not the best road to travel, so maybe this contributed to to premature wear.
I'm happy with the eagle F1's, so i will stick with them.
black13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2013, 12:37 AM   #7
spm
Starter Motor

Not quite a scientific suggestion but have had excellent experience with Michelin. Started with factory fit tyres on an xc (euro) Barina. The guy at bob jane couldn't believe we got 110k safely out of a set! And 50k and still going on the territory. The focus sport came with michelin primacy but 17s, I expect they also come in an 18s for the ST.
spm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2013, 11:59 AM   #8
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

110k km! The most I ever got was 80k on the Festiva and that was 10k overdue. Nuts... lots of cold freeway driving perhaps?

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2013, 12:00 PM   #9
hazrd
Red Rocket...

wow 20k is definitely a bit low (sorry to sound like a broken record)

just went out and checked the F1's on my ST (8000km) and they still look brand new inside and out. they "look" like ive got at least another 40-50k in them but who knows!

Best mate up in Brissy just had his rotated on his ST at 15k but i didnt hear anything from him saying they were almost due (although it was the dealership that rotated them)
Old 27-06-2015, 09:39 PM   #10
RACERED
Winding roads please

Quote:
Originally Posted by black13 View Post
Same for me, the tyres will get maybe a couple of thousand kms more before they are down to the wear indicators, & from what ive been told, that is fair.
I did a trip to perth at easter , so travelled 7500 kms in 2:5 weeks, the nullabor is not the best road to travel, so maybe this contributed to to premature wear.
I'm happy with the eagle F1's, so i will stick with them.
Did your eagle f1s get noisy ie: droning? Mine did from 22000km. Currently on 32000 and have just put michelin ps3 on

HURRY UP WEEKEND DRIVE
RACERED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post