Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 30-11-2012, 03:52 PM   #1
Freddy121
Starter Motor

Default Servicing a LT TDCI Focus

Just wondering, does anyone service their Diesel focus, by themselves?

Looking to perform both the standard service.
A) Oil change and Oil Filter
B) Oil change, Oil Filter, Diesel Filter and Air Cleaner. (Have I missed anything)

Is there any trick to doing this?
And is there a Service Manual which is recommended?

Thanks for all and any advice..

Freddy121 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2012, 05:24 PM   #2
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Servicing a LT TDCI Focus

I do mine but replacing the fuel filter is not fun. The oil and fuel filters live in plastic housings
so care is needed. The fuel lines to the common rail must be bled after the filter is changes in the B service. I found this messy and took a few goes before the fuel line was properly bled. Had to use a domestic spray bottle to suck up the fuel. Other tricks include getting the right size torx wrench/allen key to remove the sump plug. Dealer had the sum plug in stock when I used the wrong size first time so suspect it happens often.
I use the Haynes owners workshop manual for focus Diesel (UK)#4807.
Other tricks include getting the right size torx wrench to remove the sump plug
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 30-11-2012, 06:44 PM   #3
Freddy121
Starter Motor

Cool, Thanks Marg999, I just ordered a focus Diesel Manual (Thanks Ebay), so I will be re-attempting this from now on.
Old 17-02-2013, 12:17 PM   #4
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My TDCI just back from a 120000 major service yesterday. The guy said they had trouble starting it after they changed the fuel filter.

I noticed driving it home that the cabin seemed to smell of burnt fuel. Today the same smell seems to be coming in from the air con vents.
While looking around this am I also see that above the passenger front footwell there is no plastic cover...assume there is one here?

It will be going back to the servicing mob tomorrow or Tuesday but anyone got any comments on the missing plastic cover or smell through the vents??
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2013, 01:29 PM   #5
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

when they change the fuel filter they have to bleed the fuel to get air out of the line from the filter to the top of the engine. It can be a messy job,at least for the home mechanic. The fuel line is transparent in the last 20 or so cm, so look to see if they left any bubbles in it which may explain things.
Old 17-02-2013, 01:37 PM   #6
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How would that cause the burnt diesel smell through the air con though?
Old 17-02-2013, 06:13 PM   #7
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They split the stuff over the engine. The bleed nipple for bleeding the line is on the to passenger side of the rocker cover area so I suspect when they removed the bleed hose some split and ran down the motor. may have even split it when they removed and replaced the fuel filter. Diesel fuel is painful as it does not evaporate like petrol.
Old 17-02-2013, 06:50 PM   #8
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So the smell will go away when the spill evaporates/burns off?
I should still drop it there anyway as I could see a bubble in the air line.
Old 19-02-2013, 12:26 PM   #9
SpasticBus
Indifferent

I just did the oil change in my LT TDCi focus. The sump plug i found was a 5/16 allen key. My 8mm was too small and a 9mm was too big. There is a washer on the plug. Don't forget to replace it (new one or not). I found that jacking the driver's side up and removing the front driver's wheel gave best access to the sump plug.

You need some torx screwdrivers to remove the fuel filter housing to get to the oil filter housing. The filter housing needs a reasonably big socket to remove. The good thing is that the oil filter is in a pretty good spot to get to.

Choosing the right oil to use was a bit of a headache. In the end i went with Penrite HPR 5. You need 5.5L of it. So i got a 5L bottle and a 1L bottle. It is fully synthetic 5w-40 which is better than the 5w-30 required. It also meets the specification required by Ford for the oil.

I think all up the oil and filter was a bit under $100. Supercheap didn't have the filters in stock, but autobarn did.

I haven't tried the fuel filter due to the priming need. Will do that probably in 5000km time.
SpasticBus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2013, 04:46 PM   #10
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I adapted a spray mechanism from a stain removal plastic bottle to use as a suction device to get the air out of the line after changing the fuel filter. Still was a messy job You do need something to pump up the fuel to the top of the motor/bleed nipple.
Old 30-11-2014, 09:36 PM   #11
Freddy121
Starter Motor

I know this is an old thread, however since I finally changed the Diesel fuel filter, I would let all the people know how I went. (I have been able to change the oil three times now).

Using 8mm for the sump plug and 27mm to remove the housing for the Oil Sump housing.

Now for the Fuel Filter, even though I had the correct 27mm socket, this only led to the top slightly rounding, so I used a open spanner (As this could get lower onto the plastic bolt.

After finally releasing the fuel filter housing I changed the diesel fuel filter, and put the new one in, now to start.

Since there was no fuel spillage, I attempted to start it, it started and then refused to start. Then after much head scratching on how to bleed it, I ended up using a funnel filling the fuel line after disconnecting it at the top of the clear pipe (Engine bay on the passenger side).

I filled both the pipe (you will have to twist the pipe to enable this)and the nipple where the pipe connects very slowly then quickly connected it back up. Car started yah, I let the car run for 15-20minutes, and then checked again no bubbles in the fuel line.

Something others might benefit from the above, very satisfying when it all comes together in the end,
Old 30-11-2014, 11:40 PM   #12
SpasticBus
Indifferent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy121 View Post
I know this is an old thread, however since I finally changed the Diesel fuel filter, I would let all the people know how I went. (I have been able to change the oil three times now).

Using 8mm for the sump plug and 27mm to remove the housing for the Oil Sump housing.

Now for the Fuel Filter, even though I had the correct 27mm socket, this only led to the top slightly rounding, so I used a open spanner (As this could get lower onto the plastic bolt.

After finally releasing the fuel filter housing I changed the diesel fuel filter, and put the new one in, now to start.

Since there was no fuel spillage, I attempted to start it, it started and then refused to start. Then after much head scratching on how to bleed it, I ended up using a funnel filling the fuel line after disconnecting it at the top of the clear pipe (Engine bay on the passenger side).

I filled both the pipe (you will have to twist the pipe to enable this)and the nipple where the pipe connects very slowly then quickly connected it back up. Car started yah, I let the car run for 15-20minutes, and then checked again no bubbles in the fuel line.

Something others might benefit from the above, very satisfying when it all comes together in the end,
I still haven't tried the fuel filter change but it will be on the cards over christmas. thanks for sharing your tip!
SpasticBus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2014, 12:09 PM   #13
Freddy121
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpasticBus View Post
I still haven't tried the fuel filter change but it will be on the cards over christmas. thanks for sharing your tip!
Good Luck, another item I forgot to do, before changing the fuel filter is to remove any contaminants/water.

This is achieved by hand loosening a small round plug on top of the filter housing, a similar plug is located towards the front (Lower down on the Fuel Filter housing, with provision for a diesel fuel to be let out).

Be sure to connect a pipe to the lower one before loosening, and stop when the diesel fuel looks clean.
Old 07-12-2014, 05:52 PM   #14
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

do these have an oil line filter for the turbo? i remember reading the xr6t has one apparently.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post