Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-03-2014, 06:49 PM   #1
borough

Default Ford lines up contracts for suppliers

Quote:

http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-new...306-348q8.html

Ford is playing cupid to wed Australia’s leading automotive component suppliers with global contracts in a bid to secure their long-term future.
The blue oval brand, which announced in May last year it would cease manufacturing in Australia by the end of 2016, has spruiked the success of its “match-making” initiative by confirming nine Australian companies have inked business deals with the company for production models that will be built overseas.
Company president Bob Graziano says Ford has “seen firsthand for many years the dedication and innovation of Australia’s auto suppliers,” and is “pleased to work with them to expand their expertise on a global scale”.
Graziano says an expansion of its marketing and development staff will see it overtake Holden and Toyota to become the largest automotive workforce in Australia after the doors have closed on their factories in 2017.
Advertisement
“As the industry transitions, we expect to become the country’s largest auto employer by 2018 – something we take great pride in, considering this will include about 1,500 highly skilled employees across professions such as engineering and design,” he says.
The company has transferred 20 manufacturing staff into its ongoing engineering division while other workers have been connected with new roles outside the company.
Ford is also hosting a Supplier trade fair to be held in Geelong on March 12 and 13, which could help put people and businesses in touch with new roles.
Victorian minister for manufacturing, David Hodgett, says Ford’s developments were “great news for the Victorian economy”.
Co-investment between state and federal governments, along with $10 million from Ford, have created a $49 million investment fund for industry in Victoria.
Part of that money will go to Geelong-based Carbon Revolution, which builds high-tech, light-weight carbon-fibre wheels and is set to expand by creating 150 new manufacturing jobs and a new facility alongside the Deakin University campus.
“Victoria’s manufacturing industry is in transition but it is still a major contributor to the State’s economy,” Hodgett says.
“The Victorian Coalition Government is working hard to stimulate investment in new technologies that focus on export markets, which is clearly the way forward for Victorian manufacturing.”
I suppose this is good news for the parts supply industry.

borough is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2014, 08:36 PM   #2
Blueford260

Default Re: Ford lines up contracts for suppliers

We'll done Ford
Blueford260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2014, 08:37 PM   #3
JG34JA

The closing is sad but you can't fault their integrity.
JG34JA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 06-03-2014, 08:45 PM   #4
GQ_Smooth
Long live the inline 6

Very proud to be a Ford fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hers
BFII Ghia
GQ_Smooth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-03-2014, 09:01 PM   #5
rdmr

It's good news for Ford and Geelong.
rdmr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2014, 09:04 PM   #6
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Very welcome news, great to hear that deals have been inked.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:30 PM   #7
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's nice!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2014, 09:32 PM   #8
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It says a lot when Ford is doing more to encourage jobs than our federal government. I still wish they'd let another company take over Geelong plant/ straight six development but yes, this kind of thing makes me proud to be a Ford fan.
FalconXV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 06-03-2014, 10:52 PM   #9
Bossxr8
Peter Car

If only they treated their employees with the same integrity ie regarding training etc.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2014, 05:22 PM   #10
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
If only they treated their employees with the same integrity ie regarding training etc.
They didn't train you in your job?
Old 07-03-2014, 09:13 PM   #11
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:

What should they train you in? Physio? Carpentry?
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2014, 10:15 PM   #12
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ford have been spot on with the closure. As a comparison my mates wife just got the flick. No training, no days off for other jobs, redundancies capped at 12 weeks (some have 35 yrs at the company) and they have to stay until May or they lose the redundancy.
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2014, 09:01 PM   #13
Paull
P6 LTD

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For all the hard work performed around paint, trim, engine codes in the Classics section. General all round knwoledge and willingness to impart on others 

I think this may have something to with the way that they are managing the closure.

http://ethisphere.com/worlds-most-ethical/wme-honorees/
Paull is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2014, 09:40 PM   #14
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQ_Smooth View Post
Very proud to be a Ford fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EXACTLY!! Maybe we should start a list of all the wonderful things Holden has done for us and it's employees and even what they tried to do to stay afloat. But that list is VERY lopsided and just looks like another Holden bash. Truth hurts is all I can say. The way ford has handled their situation....and continue to handle it should put to shame all the whinging idiots who don't learn the facts before they whinge.
In the cold hard real world, ford aus has just about done the best thing possible the whole way thru!

And if I have to hear one more selfish car manufacturer employee whine about being retrained or 3 years not being enough time to get another job....ill explode. Wait till your out in the real work force till you whine!!!
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 08-03-2014, 09:47 PM   #15
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE View Post
EXACTLY!! Maybe we should start a list of all the wonderful things Holden has done for us and it's employees and even what they tried to do to stay afloat. But that list is VERY lopsided and just looks like another Holden bash. Truth hurts is all I can say. The way ford has handled their situation....and continue to handle it should put to shame all the whinging idiots who don't learn the facts before they whinge.
In the cold hard real world, ford aus has just about done the best thing possible the whole way thru!

And if I have to hear one more selfish car manufacturer employee whine about being retrained or 3 years not being enough time to get another job....ill explode. Wait till your out in the real work force till you whine!!!
Bossxr8 works on the assembly line that builds our favorite car, I think he is entitled to the same respect as Ford themselves, if not more. I can't beleivw the attitude and lack of empathy here. Yes Ford should retrain the workers, to make up for the employment abyss theyre about to create. I know they're doing a lot but it seems more PR focused. Its not like he can go to Alcoa. Maybe you'd have a point if there was more being done to create jobs but the government certainly aren't going to help. My point is yes Ford should be praised but let's not get carried away with it. And let's not call one of their workers a winger, youre not in their shoes.

Last edited by FalconXV; 08-03-2014 at 10:04 PM.
FalconXV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 08-03-2014, 11:39 PM   #16
BHDOGS
Banned

He is a whinger he's the same one who was shitting over another person on here because they were complaining they got **** all from there company and how they should go get a job at ford
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2014, 09:44 AM   #17
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
What exactly are you sooking about? You'll get a payout when they close. Your situation won't be to bad compared to some in the supplier industry were they'll be out with little to no payout and looking for work. There are plenty in the supplier industry that are full time casuals that have been there up to 10 years.

They're not getting anything in terms of retraining.

I'm not really worried about the line workers of the big three as they have a good deal coming. Its the fall out of the people who will walk out with not much that will be a worry.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:07 AM   #18
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Boss...

Always a black cloud on a sunny day.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2014, 01:49 PM   #19
Rodge
Banned

Ford are in maximum PR mode to mitigate the collateral brand damage across the rest of the range.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-03-2014, 03:57 PM   #20
sbcb
BA Xr8

Whatever Fords motivations this is good, this is positive.
My Ford List - AU1 Futura, AU1 Cobra XR8, EB Gli Project Car, AU2 XR8 200kw, AU1 Fairmont Ghia VCT, AU1 V8 Tickford Fairmont Ghia, BF Xr6 6spd ZF, BA MkII XR8, AU3 Fairmont, SX Territory, AU3 Xr8 220kw, BA Xr8.
sbcb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-03-2014, 10:07 PM   #21
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHDOGS
He is a whinger he's the same one who was shitting over another person on here because they were complaining they got **** all from there company and how they should go get a job at ford
Way to twist someones words. All I said was someone in a small company shouldn't expect the same treatment as one in a large company. And if they wanted to have the same conditions as someone who works in a large company they should work for one. Why would have I suggested someone get at a job at Ford, when there are none. But aren't you unemployed. Bit rich coming from you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
What exactly are you sooking about? You'll get a payout when they close. Your situation won't be to bad compared to some in the supplier industry were they'll be out with little to no payout and looking for work. There are plenty in the supplier industry that are full time casuals that have been there up to 10 years.

They're not getting anything in terms of retraining.

I'm not really worried about the line workers of the big three as they have a good deal coming. Its the fall out of the people who will walk out with not much that will be a worry.
The problem is Ford have made promises, which were excellent by the way, and have then done everything to block employees from getting them. That's my beef.

No one has been trained, they won't negotiate a social plan like they promised and no one can get any of the funding promised. Then their slick PR machine shouts how great they are treating their employees when the reality is very different. A lot of employees are getting very upset when they want what was promised to move on with their lives and they get shafted at every point. Can you see why employees are upset. They come to me for answers every day and I have nothing to give them but uncertainty, it's stressing a lot of people out who just want the promises delivered. I don't think that's too much to ask.

So walk a mile in someone else's shoes before you slag them off.

And I give thanks I work in a large corporation and not one of the small suppliers. They will do it tough and I feel for them.
5 users like this post:
Old 09-03-2014, 10:18 PM   #22
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt View Post
What exactly are you sooking about?
He lives in Geelong, even if he has 3 years to train up and get another job it most likely won't be in the surrounds and even then the amount of eyebrows that get raised when you go to job interviews out of your field, regardless of your qualifications.

Every job these days wants someone with a minimum of X years experience with some sort of certificate to match.

Look at a simple job like admin support, they all want proficiency in Microsoft Office suite, Certificate IV in business and a minimum of a few years experience.

They're not going to take someone like me who is an ex auto electrician, who has some Microsoft Office experience and a few certificates.

There is no such thing as "entry level" or where you can get in and learn from the team, everyone wants someone who can just get in and do the job with the shiny paper to match.

Whats going to happen when theres a thousand plus people out of work in Geelong?

Centrelink is going to be lined up around the car park.

Boss, I'll give you a tip, HR managers are all full of ****, don't for a second believe anything that comes out of their mouth, all they are is damage control to protect the hierarchy. When you talk to them they act like your friend but all they're doing is sharpening the knives to put into you and your fellow workmates back.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 09-03-2014 at 10:28 PM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 09-03-2014, 11:10 PM   #23
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

One company mentioned with a possible 150 extra staff.... hmmm

The report sounds great but my BS detector is registering activity.
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2014, 11:19 PM   #24
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
So walk a mile in someone else's shoes before you slag them off.

And I give thanks I work in a large corporation and not one of the small suppliers. They will do it tough and I feel for them.
Not sure how Geelong is going but I do deal with plenty of people in Broady. Remember there are people that are going to be in much worse situations come closure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
He lives in Geelong, even if he has 3 years to train up and get another job it most likely won't be in the surrounds and even then the amount of eyebrows that get raised when you go to job interviews out of your field, regardless of your qualifications.
Still better then a week (for some its the end of the day) with no money to help you along. Please stop making it out that its that bad. There are jobs but they're not going to be secure....but this is the way Australia is going.
Old 10-03-2014, 12:00 AM   #25
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lols about HR dudes, old bingo wings at my last job wasnt called the smiling assassin for nothing.

Interesting take on it Boss, went back to night school last year brush up on hyds, the whole back row was full of Holden tradeys, smashing out as much training as possible, all company supplied.

didnt think of squeezing them on info about shop floor dudes at the time
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-03-2014, 03:39 AM   #26
1TUFFUTE
Banned

I just shake my head at some of the opinions around here. Having no problem whinging that they've got 3yrs to find another job...but not enough free funding or hands to hold theirs along the way.
GET REAL. This is the real world, WELCOME!!....of course it sucks.....but there's millions of people in FAR worse job security or situations.

I still feel attitude plays a massive part in job hunting or skilling... For eg....my bro recently got a job as a state team leader for bunnings after only being back in the country for six months and having zero experience in the tech side of the job.(he's was in 'it'.) He was picked over the last guy who was over qualified...simply because they wanted skills he allready possessed that looked appealing. Otherwise he wouldn't have stood a chance!

My point? Stop whinging or whining, 'why me' or 'I deserve better' and just get stuck in with what's next......or you'll never get over it.
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2014, 05:48 PM   #27
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Whinging about people whinging. How ironic.
2 users like this post:
Old 11-03-2014, 10:03 PM   #28
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

of course Ford are spinning this, its in their interest to add a positive slant to a sad situation. They are fulfilling their onerous obligations to their employees, and will continue to sell a full range of cars that wont include falcon, hardly say that the sky is falling.
Make no mistake, they arent HANDING parts contracts out willy nilly, its all price driven, they STILL have to compete on price to factories OS making more of an identical product for cheaper. The bulk of these suppliers wont be here in 5 years.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 12-03-2014, 12:14 AM   #29
Insidious

What parts supplier is going to invest $$ into an uncertain industry that can be made overseas. The labour cost and the equipment cost is just too great, even if they have the best equipment it's just not a money making investment as they will be undercut from other parts suppliers.

07 TX RWD Territory
Insidious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2014, 06:04 PM   #30
Bossxr8
Peter Car

We actually have some really great suppliers here who can do things suppliers in other countries can't. We might not have the cheapest, but can use ingenuity to overcome that. There are a number of companies that export their products to manufacturers overseas.