Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 16-12-2013, 06:15 PM   #1
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Default Buy local... what a joke..

Wifes fiesta has faulty Vehicle speed sensor... Diagnosed by son in laws diagnostic gear. P0050 error code. Makes sense the speedo has stopped working. Hit the internet and all the usual ebay sellers pop up. Mostly from the UK. It will cost me about $AU50 to get one from the UK. But I resist and go see the local ford dealer. None in stock but they can get me one $291.00 I tell him that I wanted to support local jobs and business's but I cannot justify spending that when I can get it for $50 on line. He shrugs, I walk away and another customer is lost. Perhaps for ever.

It seems to me that the state guvs want to make it harder for us to escape this kind of blatant thievery....

3 users like this post:
Old 16-12-2013, 06:32 PM   #2
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Buy local... what a joke..

Mark up by Ford Australia on Ford Europe's parts is astronomical, its just easier to deal with someone like European-Parts for genuine Ford parts for so much less.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2013, 06:57 PM   #3
bafel

The origins of manufacture and/or retail are meaningless in a globalised world. I'd be buying from the UK seller and spend the saving on a local craft beer.
bafel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2013, 10:02 PM   #4
Hell Cat

People can buy bicycle parts online cheaper than bike shops pay from the local wholesalers/importers.
Hell Cat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2013, 10:11 PM   #5
zilo
BANNED

If it was under a hundred bucks you would just do it.

Sounds like a consumer affairs matter ...
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2013, 10:28 PM   #6
Bowser22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack View Post
Wifes fiesta has faulty Vehicle speed sensor... Diagnosed by son in laws diagnostic gear. P0050 error code. Makes sense the speedo has stopped working. Hit the internet and all the usual ebay sellers pop up. Mostly from the UK. It will cost me about $AU50 to get one from the UK. But I resist and go see the local ford dealer. None in stock but they can get me one $291.00 I tell him that I wanted to support local jobs and business's but I cannot justify spending that when I can get it for $50 on line. He shrugs, I walk away and another customer is lost. Perhaps for ever.

It seems to me that the state guvs want to make it harder for us to escape this kind of blatant thievery....
Call another dealer! I paid $80 odd for one in the missus WQ 6 months ago
Bowser22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2013, 10:45 PM   #7
Fordman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Doesn't matter if its local or overseas product. I got a wheel speed sensor for a falcon for 200 cheaper from the net...and its worked perfectly for over a year
Fordman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2013, 11:47 PM   #8
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have several recent examples of this:

Daihatsu Feroza fuel pump, local auto parts shop, $265, eBay $45 delivered, for exact same pump in the same box, guess where my money went.

KTM Dirt Bike brake light switch, $65 locally, $25 at bike wrecker, $5.95 and $2 postage from overseas seller brand new!!

KTM Sprocket Cover, $95 second hand from wrecker, not in stock at dealer, $25 delivered from Germany.

Drive shaft for my XB Big Block Coupe, local made about $1600 complete, Mark Williams USA $429, made out of chromoly 70% stronger than Aussie made steel shaft

And I could keep going…new toploader parts, shifter, engine pulleys, clutch etc etc A lot of sellers here forget it's now a global economy, and they need to compete, most overseas sellers also have better customer service.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2013, 01:18 AM   #9
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cutters for my Philips razor are $89, here, $43 air freight from America !!! Philips Australia gave me the spiel on freight, warehousing costs etc etc. Would have been happy to pay $55. Nursing Rebook shoes $55US..$220 here !!! and it goes on. I accept their are charges etc in getting goods here, but mark up is ridiculous!! no wonder people buy online..
Old 17-12-2013, 02:01 AM   #10
BHDOGS
Banned

sounds like a job for stevz in this thread i managed to buy something direct from china for 10 cents when i cant get it from a multimillion dollar company right here in australia with cost overheads staff to employ taxes to pay for 20 cents wahhhhhhh wahhh
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2013, 07:53 AM   #11
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Quote:

You can't compere the pricing between a genuine component at a dealership with a copy sold by a pimply faced kid from his parents garage in Glochester.

One spends millions to develop a component to suit a car they spent billions to develop. They are restrained to ensure the most finite quality is adhered to.

The other buys the same part for $291 and makes 1000 copies, for an outlay of perhaps $5000 and sells them for $50 eack for 1000% markup. When it fails, you just buy another.

Look at the price of a genuine brake rotor to am aftermarket one. $250 ea for my AU. I purchased 4 plus pads for less than the cost of 1 genuine one. They sat in my garage for about 2 years waiting for the old ones to wear out. I took them off the car at 165000k and they were about 60% worn out. The aftermarket ones are pretty much shafted at 200000k.
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 17-12-2013, 10:01 AM   #12
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Cat View Post
People can buy bicycle parts online cheaper than bike shops pay from the local wholesalers/importers.
This line always intrigues me.
If that is the case, why don't they just avoid the wholesalers and go direct?
They'll save even more on freight compared to a one-off purchaser.
Old 17-12-2013, 10:04 AM   #13
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNM96 View Post
You can't compere the pricing between a genuine component at a dealership with a copy sold by a pimply faced kid from his parents garage in Glochester.

One spends millions to develop a component to suit a car they spent billions to develop. They are restrained to ensure the most finite quality is adhered to.

The other buys the same part for $291 and makes 1000 copies, for an outlay of perhaps $5000 and sells them for $50 eack for 1000% markup. When it fails, you just buy another.

Look at the price of a genuine brake rotor to am aftermarket one. $250 ea for my AU. I purchased 4 plus pads for less than the cost of 1 genuine one. They sat in my garage for about 2 years waiting for the old ones to wear out. I took them off the car at 165000k and they were about 60% worn out. The aftermarket ones are pretty much shafted at 200000k.
You are missing the point, we are talking the exact same part made in the same factory, by the same people, sold at huge mark ups here. Well my post was anyway.

The fuel pump I bought was not a copy was the exact same fuel pump, buying stuff from the US you mostly get superior quality parts for less than they sell Chinese rubbish here for, with better customer service.

My drive shaft from the US was 1/3rd the price of the Aussie made one and is way superior quality, with chromoly tubing, precision forged steel weld yokes and billet transmission yoke, compared a an Aussie made steel tubing, spicer weld yokes and standard trans yoke ˝ the strength at three times the price

Then the Aussie guy who has mostly no customer service skills wonders why he is out of a job. The amount of times I have walked into these places and have more or less been ignored or treated like a fool, where I have then proceeded to send my money overseas for better product and better service.

A lot of the time you walk into these places and they make you feel like you are an inconvenience to their day, rather than a paying customer.

Re your brake rotors if seriously you bough four rotors and pads for less than $250 you obviously bought the cheapest Chinese rubbish you could find, and deserve what you get.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 17-12-2013, 11:34 AM   #14
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

This thread is a classic example of why we need GST imposed on overseas and online transactions.
Old 17-12-2013, 11:36 AM   #15
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid_Axe View Post
This thread is a classic example of why we need GST imposed on overseas and online transactions.
Why? It's not going to help local sales, the price will still be monumentally cheaper than local.
This user likes this post:
Old 17-12-2013, 11:43 AM   #16
Kil4Collingwood

Quote:
That you gerry harvey? Stuff from overseas is way cheaper than the 10 percent gst anyway.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2
Kil4Collingwood is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2013, 11:58 AM   #17
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
pigs ****......why should I pay for some other blokes retirement over one transaction, time for retailers in this country to wake up and think "global prices", after all thats what we get rammed down our throats whenever prices rise isn't it.

my prices haven't risen in 25 years and I'm still making a good living, I was cheaper than most others in my industry back then.

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 17-12-2013, 12:26 PM   #18
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNM96 View Post

Ummm the parts from the UK dealer are genuine ford parts......
Old 17-12-2013, 01:03 PM   #19
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by bafel View Post
The origins of manufacture and/or retail are meaningless in a globalised world. I'd be buying from the UK seller and spend the saving on a local craft beer.
Funny that you mention that. On the way home from the Ford steeler I bought a carton of Stone & Wood, a carton of Fat Yak and a carton of Matso's mango Beer. It must be almost Christmas.
Old 17-12-2013, 01:16 PM   #20
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh you all have a cry... Called into my local radiator place yesterday.. he had closed down.. be damned all you eBay bargain hunters...
He was awesome / cheap / local / custom mods no probs
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 17-12-2013, 01:20 PM   #21
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

I get all my new Alfa repro stuff from OS, guys here have the exact same part with a 30-40% mark up...until that gap is closer why would I buy locally? Im not after a service, just a part.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2013, 01:42 PM   #22
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
Oh you all have a cry... Called into my local radiator place yesterday.. he had closed down.. be damned all you eBay bargain hunters...
He was awesome / cheap / local / custom mods no probs
There must be other reasons he went belly up. If he was cheap , local and did custom mods and gave good service he would still be around. I think you should be looking for other reasons for his sad demise. Not blame others who simply refuse to be robbed. You must remember , we now have a choice. And I choose not to be ripped off.
Old 17-12-2013, 02:00 PM   #23
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf View Post
pigs ****......why should I pay for some other blokes retirement over one transaction, time for retailers in this country to wake up and think "global prices", after all thats what we get rammed down our throats whenever prices rise isn't it.

my prices haven't risen in 25 years and I'm still making a good living, I was cheaper than most others in my industry back then.
Not denying my suggestion was going to be favourable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD
Why? It's not going to help local sales, the price will still be monumentally cheaper than local.
No it more than likely won't help, however the GST on the product the Government will get multiplied by the many millions of transactions that take place online and overseas will help negate any proposed new tax or idiotic tax (*cough* carbon tax *cough*)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kil4Collingwood
That you gerry harvey? Stuff from overseas is way cheaper than the 10 percent gst anyway.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2
Yes and thats what I'm getting at. It's still going to be cheaper than what you get here, however you are inadvertantly helping Australia getting back on its feet and avoid anymore "recessions" and other buzz words like that.
Old 17-12-2013, 02:09 PM   #24
MAD
Petro-sexual

Ah yeah, fair enough. The problem though is that it will cost heaps to administer.
I've heard projections of it costing more than what the Gov would gain.
Old 17-12-2013, 02:48 PM   #25
thefargo
black xb
Donating Member3

had a similar experience. I have decided to replace my rear globes (xb coupe) with led ones. I could buy 1 from a local supplier for $4.88
I bought 10, from china, same manufacturer, $3.00, free postage.
if that means that they actually are less than 30c each, allowing for no profit at all from china, actually costing the chinese money to post, does that mean that $4.58, profit per globe is the cost of supporting local?

10 globes bought locally = $48.80
10 globes bought china = $3.00

same manufacturer.
thefargo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2013, 03:03 PM   #26
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

You'll find a lot of things that are free post from china, is because they class it as a gift. And when the authorities catch on the price goes up.
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2013, 03:44 PM   #27
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
There must be other reasons he went belly up. If he was cheap , local and did custom mods and gave good service he would still be around. I think you should be looking for other reasons for his sad demise. Not blame others who simply refuse to be robbed. You must remember , we now have a choice. And I choose not to be ripped off.
nup, he'd mentioned how it was a struggle against the egay bargain hunting muppets last time i was there

great service / back up / mods /and an actual person to discuss options

goneski

see thread here

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11410240
2 users like this post:
Old 17-12-2013, 04:02 PM   #28
BadMax
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Do any of you sooks realise your the one who created the problem to begin with? How is your fat pay check going while paying off your over capitalised mortgage?
And then complain about high retail prices' because that same bloke on the other side of the counter wants the same fat pay packet as you...Go figure...

Don't get me wrong, I shop OS but only if the difference is significant or an items not sold here. But I certainly don't get on forums carrying on about local prices and just about in the same breath complain about local jobs disappearing.
Single hump hard lid.
XR8 Bonnet
Colour coded mirrors.
Tint.
Reverse camera.
K&N.
More down the track...
BadMax is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2013, 04:04 PM   #29
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

stop talking sense in this thread
8 users like this post:
Old 17-12-2013, 04:13 PM   #30
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadMax View Post
Do any of you sooks realise your the one who created the problem to begin with? How is your fat pay check going while paying off your over capitalised mortgage?
And then complain about high retail prices' because that same bloke on the other side of the counter wants the same fat pay packet as you...Go figure...

Don't get me wrong, I shop OS but only if the difference is significant or an items not sold here. But I certainly don't get on forums carrying on about local prices and just about in the same breath complain about local jobs disappearing.
Without investment incentives houses wouldn't cost so much.
So who's to blame?

I do the same. If the price is not a great deal dearer here, I will buy local.
I'd hazard a guess that it's the first preference for everyone, but not at the expense of sending themselves broke for the sake of it.