Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 12-04-2012, 11:37 AM   #1
Beragoobbruce
Starter Motor

Default Towbar for 2012 Fiesta

Hi Guys.

Just bought a shiny new LX Fiesta Hatchback. It's a great little car! and the 6 speed auto box is magic!!

But I need to fit a towbar for pulling a light trailer to the tip. The Ford dealer (and Auto One's) price fitted was $650. Can't afford this after buying the new car!

I've seen complete towbar assemblies on ebay for $127 from America. Does anyone know where I can get a reasonably priced DIY kit over here? Or has anyone bought a towbar from American ebay & fitted it to a 2012 Fiesta hatchback?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Bruce

Beragoobbruce is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2012, 12:34 AM   #2
Fiesta God
Ford Fiesta

Default Re: Towbar for 2012 Fiesta

Hayman Reece sell a tow bar for the Fiesta, model number 02603W.
It's rated to 900KG's and is $388 RRP (to purchase the part alone).

Not sure where you are located, but Shop1 Auto in Gladesville in Sydney will supply one with all the required fittings and install for $580.

A tow bar is something I would never skimp on - you can easily do a lot of damage to your own vehicle and someone else's if a tow bar fails, and importing one from the US makes it very difficult to get any guarantees on quality, reliability, warranty etc.
Old 16-04-2012, 08:25 AM   #3
somers181

If you keep looking you will find Peter Warren Ford Liverpool advertise ford parts on ebay regularly. I bought a tow bar for a WT Fiesta for $200 (no wiring kit, sells separately) only problem was it doesnt fit the sedan model and had to take it back about 2 weeks ago..... they did advertise it again so keep an eye out for it.......
Old 17-04-2012, 11:26 AM   #4
Beragoobbruce
Starter Motor

Great, thanks for that guys.

Somers 181, I called Peter Warren Ford Liverpool. They'll do a towbar for $267 inc GST. As you say, wiring kit extra.

Simple wiring into the car loom is not a problem for me, but the kits for wiring seem to include some sort of electronic gismo. Have you wired in a towbar on your Fiesta? Is there any trickery to it? Or do you know if it affects the car's electonics? Usually the flasher rate changes with an extra trailer indicator lamp, but I'm planning on fitting LED lights so the additional load on the flashr circuit will be tiny. Any thoughts?

Thanks again

Bruce
Old 18-04-2012, 08:55 AM   #5
somers181

I never fitted one as they dont make one to fit the sedan and i was doing it to fit a bike rack as i wasnt intending on towing anything, sorry cant assist...
Old 18-04-2012, 10:29 AM   #6
JimStone

Does the Fiesta run a CAN-BUS electrical system - if so you will need the 'box' fitted up and then the dealer needs to plug into your car and tell it it has a towbar fitted. Gone are the days of grabbing a length of 5 core and a handfull of scotchlocks....
JimStone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2012, 10:23 AM   #7
Beragoobbruce
Starter Motor

I've since been into a Ford man dealer & spoken to the parts dept guy. It seems that in addition to the towbar wiring harness ($137) a 'module' is also required. This is the electronic interface that tells the onboard computer that there is additional trailer wiring. Without it, either the car circuit or the trailer lights won't work (allegedly).this magic box costs another $250!

So I suppose I'm just going to have to bite the bullet & get the whole $680 kit. Seems to me a lot of hassle & big bucks just to tow a light trailer - but I guess that's progress!

Thanks for your posts, anyway.

Bruce
Old 20-04-2012, 12:09 AM   #8
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

have you tried somewhere like european parts to see if they could supply these modules for you?
GoesLikeAZetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2013, 06:20 AM   #9
rick293
Rick293

Hi Guys,

I bought this one for my 2010 WS Fiesta Zetechttp://www.towbarsaustralia.com.au/b....aspx?pid=3565 and it includes all fittings, wiring and instructions in English. It is a Hayman Reece unit and is listed as being able to be fitted in 45minutes. I had a bit of trouble lining up some bolts with big hands in little spaces so took a bit longer. Wiring is a proper harness arrangement and is pretty much plug and play. All electrics on the car have no issue, but I do already have LED globes on the trailer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fiesta Towbar 4.jpg (110.6 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg Fiesta Towbar 5.jpg (80.3 KB, 114 views)
rick293 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2013, 08:03 PM   #10
Pursya

Rick, 45 minutes?

Quote:
Make: FORD
Model: Fiesta
Type: Hatchback
Month/Year: 2009 onwards

Capacity: 900
Ball Weight: 90