Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 21-12-2005, 05:30 PM   #1
Damo
Banned

Default Squeeling EA

Hey y'all,

I've got a problem with my EA that I can't diagnose. Once the car is warmed up (about 5-10 minutes driving in the morning) I get this horrible high pitched squeeling noise coming from the engine bay. I've checked the belts etc they're fine, but it almost sounds like it coming from under the rocker cover. The noise goes away if i push the clutch in but as soon as i let it back out the squeeling begins again at revs over 1500, so i'll be cruising along in 4th @ 60 and it will just constantly squeel. It gets worse as the car gets warmer but only to a certain point.

The car still drives fine, and I changed the oil and filters last sunday. It hasn't lost power or anything either. Just after some suggestions as to what it might be cause it's really quite embarassing when people look at you in your noisey old squeeling EA lol, and the noise is really starting to irritate me, I can hear it in my head that stupid high pitched squeel. sleep:

Thanks in advance,

Damo

Damo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2005, 05:53 PM   #2
Tiga_EL
Banned

Sound like an ex-taxi noise!! lol
Tiga_EL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2005, 06:01 PM   #3
neb
hibernating

I would say it is one of your belts. I can't really think of anything else that would squeel like that, It could be possible that the belt looks fine but it is a bit stuffed or its just loose. Or maybe somethings leaking and theres coolant getting on to the belt.. something like that.

But I would say definately a belt.
neb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2005, 06:08 PM   #4
Damo
Banned

i was just thinking, maybe it's the idler pully ? I just find it strange that it's ok when the car is cold and that the noise goes away when i put the clutch in.

Damnit Mick has the spanners I need. :(
Old 21-12-2005, 06:25 PM   #5
neb
hibernating

maybe one of the bearings in one of the pulleys have come out of alignment causing it to squeal?

if you push the clutch in the revs drop meaning the belt isn't turning as much and not as much pressure on it to turn accessories... makes sense to me. unless you mean when its in neutral and not moving.. clutch out it squeels and then clutch in it doesn't?
neb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2005, 06:46 PM   #6
Ozfords
Girls! Drink! ****! ****!

Those pesky pulleys I had both done this year after a commendable 188,000kms.

Both gave way very close to each other, around 2 months apart or so. If its the power steering one, you'll feel it and the it will scream when the high beams are switched on, the other, the mechanic was pretty lazy with that one, get it fixed whenever!

1993 ED Fairmont Sedan - I6 - Colbalt Blue
- XH Snorkel
- Superlow Kings Springs and KYB Shocks
- Cross Drilled and Slotted DBA front Discs
- 18" pre-AU GT-P Alloy Wheels
- Ford Original Bootlid Spoiler
Ozfords is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2005, 06:52 PM   #7
BlackLS

I had the same problem in my pulsar, went away after a week. It seem to only happen at night with the stereo on.

But it does sound like a metal on metal noise. Possible worn clutch, metal on metal?
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2005, 07:40 PM   #8
-jjM-
Banned

it would be a pully, weve had a few cars have that problem, just get a new one from ford, dont cost that much, think it was $40 or something (correct me if wrong)
-jjM- is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2005, 07:50 PM   #9
Damo
Banned

All fixed now thanks Neb, you other guys were too slow. :P I did a burnout and it fixed it (public rd of course) :hihi:

Nah only jokin ;) I swapped the idler pulley and belt with the one off my EB, removed the A/C belt (got no A/C anyways) and tightened the alt & w/pump belt even tighter. So one of those things fixed it. : I guess I just had to make a thread to get some motivation. I guess i'll add p/s idler pulley to the list of new goodies for the EB, it's great having a car you can swap parts off. :voldar02:

Thanks,

Damo
Old 21-12-2005, 08:40 PM   #10
Gubas
- BOOYEH -

My idler pully used to squeel on startup. CBF fixing it, so I left it as is. One day driving down the road, its starts squeeling again. Got really loud to, then it siezed, and broke in half! Im sure I saw half of it bouncing down the road behind me, and found the other half in the engine bay. It was only the air-con, so I cut the belt and kept goin. Now my belt is starting to squeel again, and guess what, I still CBF fixing it! Hmm, one day.
Old 21-12-2005, 09:35 PM   #11
Damo
Banned

the CBF attitude works well with e-series cars. :P
Old 21-12-2005, 09:38 PM   #12
wang peterson

My idler pully bearing was stuffed, and made lots of noise. Thought it was the gudgeons on the pistons at one stage :P

Then the Alternator shaft seized, and cause a terrible squeeling noise. When i took off, it sounded like the biggest burnout, and all the neighbours came running outside ready to tell me off :P
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2005, 04:29 AM   #13
EL-XRAN
Xranmobile

the fan belt/water pump belt crapped itself in out old ED Fairmont...sounded exactly as you described it hahaha. Starts fine in the morning and only screamed when you put some revs on and loaded it up a bit. Glad you got it sorted anyway. Has anyone ever had a problem with the car running too cold and the heater not working? That's another thing that it did, so we put a new thermostat in it and it was all fixed. Strange.

>Monty the Customised Fairmont<
>Elektra the Lightning-strike Pursuit 250 Ute<
EL-XRAN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post