Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-11-2012, 04:43 PM   #31
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: VF Commodore 'SS' ready for US market..

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadFoot81
Holden is basically the Australian arm of Chevrolet. I remember reading GM considered rebranding Holden at the time that GM Daewoo was rebranded as Chevrolet.

I'd like to see them sold as what they are as well, but the Chevy badge has way too much pulling power in the States.
No it isn't.

Holden is a brand that is owned by General Motors as is Pontiac, Chevrolet, Opel, Vauxhall, Oldsmobile, Corvette and a bucket full of others.

GM > Chevrolet > Camaro
GM > Holden > Commodore
Ford > Ford (Australia) > Falcon
Ford > Lincoln > Navigator

Ford also owned Aston Martin and Volvo until recently.

Saying Holden is the Australian arm of Chevrolet is like saying Falcon is the Australian arm of Mondeo and putting a Chevrolet badge on a Holden is no different to putting a Volvo badge on a Falcon.........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2012, 05:17 PM   #32
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
No it isn't.

Holden is a brand that is owned by General Motors as is Pontiac, Chevrolet, Opel, Vauxhall, Oldsmobile, Corvette and a bucket full of others
isn't the corvette a vehicle made by chevrolet

you are correct. holden has never been the australian arm of chevrolet
while ford australia is the australian arm of ford, holden were a company before being bought by the company that generally makes cars . . . or buys companies that do anyway
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2012, 06:01 PM   #33
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Tone
The VF has been out for a decade???
You said nothing of VF.

And still my point still stands. This is not the first factory "Chevy Commodore"
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2012, 07:07 PM   #34
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Doing a bit of detailing inside the G6E today and thought of this thread. It certainly wouldn't be an insurmountable job to make it LHD. The top section of the dash is pretty much bilaterally symetrical, without a dramatically lower left hand side than right, and the center section where the entertainment unitis located is not tilted towards the drivers side either...It's "flat" and would suit a driver sitting on either side.
The center console would merely need to be formed in a mirror image, with the mechanism for the handbrake swapped over.

It should be no big deal and add much to production costs...especially seeing as how the front wheel drive Capri was sent to the USA and sold for nearly half the price it was sold for here...

It's a moot point though...it would be fatal for Ford Australia if they exported the Falcon and it became very popular...could they keep up with demand? I would imagine they would almost want it not to be "too popular".
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2012, 07:15 PM   #35
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO
You said nothing of VF.

And still my point still stands. This is not the first factory "Chevy Commodore"
Can you produce an example of a "Chevy Commodore"?

The Pontiac GTO was produced in Australia and sold in the US Market, Pontiac is not Chevrolet.

The LSx engines are manufactured by GM Powertrain, GM Powertrain is not Chevrolet.

The last Holden to have a Chevrolet engine in it was the HQ Monaro in the 1970s.

Edit:
Actually I just remembered that the Middle Eastern ones are called Chevrolet Lumina. I wonder if the "bowtie bogans" realise that they are not a USA model.

Last edited by flappist; 03-11-2012 at 08:11 PM.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2012, 08:14 PM   #36
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Do you want a real example of a Chevy Commodore to make me look stupid despite clearly placing it in quotation marks?

If not I already said the Chevy Lumina.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 03-11-2012, 10:30 PM   #37
Struggo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO
Do you want a real example of a Chevy Commodore to make me look stupid despite clearly placing it in quotation marks?

If not I already said the Chevy Lumina.
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=c...w=1090&bih=799

http://www.nextcar.com.au/n.holden.2...rts.05jan.html
Struggo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-11-2012, 07:20 PM   #38
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist View Post
No it isn't.

Holden is a brand that is owned by General Motors as is Pontiac, Chevrolet, Opel, Vauxhall, Oldsmobile, Corvette and a bucket full of others.

GM > Chevrolet > Camaro
GM > Holden > Commodore
Ford > Ford (Australia) > Falcon
Ford > Lincoln > Navigator

Ford also owned Aston Martin and Volvo until recently.

Saying Holden is the Australian arm of Chevrolet is like saying Falcon is the Australian arm of Mondeo and putting a Chevrolet badge on a Holden is no different to putting a Volvo badge on a Falcon.........
Say whaaat? I'm not a fan of rebadging Holdens as Chevys but I don't see how it relates to the conversation.

My point:

Chevrolet Spark > Daewoo Matiz > Holden Barina Spark
Chevrolet Sonic > Daewoo Kalos > Holden Barina
Chevrolet Cruze > Daewoo Lacetti > Holden Cruze
Chevrolet Malibu > Holden Malibu
Chevrolet Volt > Holden Volt
Chevrolet Captiva > Daewoo Winstorm > Holden Captiva
Chevrolet Colorado >Holden Colorado
Holden Caprice > Chevrolet Caprice PPV
Holden Commodore (SS) > Chevrolet SS

Holden *is* an Australian brand that was bought by General Motors in the Thirties and brought in under it's umbrella. In recent times GM has consolidated it's bloated portfolio, and as part of that restructure Holden has become *basically* the Australian arm of Chevrolet. Whilst not *literally* being the Australian arm of Chevrolet the two (separate) companies have increasingly pooled their resources. As you look at the list above ask yourself, what would it take for Holden to go from basically being the Australian arm of Chevrolet, to literally being the Australian arm of Chevrolet? Not much. Blind Freddy could see that. The only car Holden sells that isn't a Holden or sourced from Chevrolet is the Opel Combo, and I can't see that model being supplied to Holden past 2012 as Opel tries to establish itself in Oz.

Here's some food for thought:

http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor...503-1e69h.html

So GM's *own* executives even consider Holden to be basically the Australian arm of Chevrolet! Controversial!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67 View Post
holden has never been the australian arm of chevrolet
while ford australia is the australian arm of ford, holden were a company before being bought by the company that generally makes cars . . . or buys companies that do anyway
True, but the way things are going, it won't be too long before Holden actually becomes the Aussie arm of Chevrolet (but keeps it's name)

You can bet there'd be a tipping point too; if the Holden name loses a certain % of value with Aussie consumers GM will seriously consider cutting the badge altogether and go global with the Chevy brand.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2012, 07:53 PM   #39
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67 View Post
isn't the corvette a vehicle made by chevrolet

you are correct. holden has never been the australian arm of chevrolet
Holden was a Saddlery way back when horses where the only power available. They later moved into carriages/coach building. Then when cars came in, Holden went into manufacturing of car bodies, and panels. Making some of these for Ford of Australia, right up until Ford built their own factory and started manufacturing all their own stuff. Then made bodies for GM until GM snapped them up in 1931. And then after the second world war, the first actual production 'Holden' was developed in the U.S by Chevrolet. And the FX was born.

So Holden was just a large scale coach builder until GM took over and made a car for them by Chevrolet. Which wasn't that great in Australia, but improved over time. But I think you can safely say that Holden is the Chevrolet of Australia.