Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-09-2012, 01:50 PM   #1
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default coolant change interval

my coolant is due to be changed but according to our service agent it still tests fine......should I change it "because" ......or is it fine to leave it until it tests bad

I have had the brake fluids replaced because they failed the test

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2012, 02:00 PM   #2
SavVYute

Default Re: coolant change interval

Recommended interval is every two years according to most service books I've read.
Maybe it goes off or degrades after that period?
SavVYute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2012, 02:09 PM   #3
graham7773
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

poppa smurf, you will get 64 different opinions on here about what the change interval should be. I only use Nulon Long Life and the manufacturer recommends 4 year change interval. Most Coolants are glycol whiched is a form of alcohol with corrosion inhibitor added. there are more expensive ones but IMO you are paying for not much if any more than you get with Nulon... In a sealed system, the alcohol can go nowhere ie stays in the system. Brake fluid should be changed every 12 months regardless. It absorbs water and rusts components in the brake system if left in for lengthy periods of time. SavVY ute, the car manufacturers are talking about if you use their coolant. Better quality coolant lasts longer.
graham7773 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2012, 02:42 PM   #4
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

to me the corrosion inhibitors are the most important, if corrosion gets a hold in the cooling system you might be looking at big dollar repairs, lots of alloy parts on modern engines that corrode fast if not looked after properly, once it starts eating into water jackets ,......... head gasget problems are`nt far behind, not to mention pipe work, walsh plugs, radiator, heater core, being tight with 30 buks worth of coolant and an hour of your time just is`nt worth it imo, i usually change before time is due.
i think usually decent brand coolants also have water pump seal lubricant and wetting agent in too .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2012, 02:44 PM   #5
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ah okay.....so assuming the coolant has been in since new (05)

although it has been regularly serviced at the correct intervals.....there may be a clue to it's last coolant change in the service book.....although not everything that has been done is placed in there

maybe I should change it to something like the nulon

I've been told the mitsubishi coolant is the ducks guts I was thinking of using that

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
Old 03-09-2012, 02:49 PM   #6
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

change it. its cheap insurance and then you can keep track of when its done
Old 03-09-2012, 02:51 PM   #7
Rodge
Banned

Great thread.
According to Ford Au change every 3 years.
Accoring to Ford N.Z. change every 2 years.
I'm pretty sure they recommend sticking with the green stuff mate.
I reckon go with every 3 years regardless of what type of litmus test the service agent uses. My 2 cents.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2012, 02:57 PM   #8
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Focus is every 10 years! I did it every 2yrs/ 50km in the Festiva using a quality coolant that exceeds the cars needs / intervals.

Prob do it 5yrs wit focus... 10 years just doesn't sit right with me.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2012, 03:29 PM   #9
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

My motto is my coolant flushes itself every couple of years when a component of the cooling system fails
Old 03-09-2012, 03:31 PM   #10
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

VW Polo etc. do it at 7 years when the cam belt and water pump replacement gets done. The interval is not actually stated in the owners manual, but querying the service manager, thats when it gets changed. The coolant is red, different to the green/clear stuff in the Falcons which should get changed at 3 years.

If changing to a different coolant, the cooling and heater system must be flushed and cleaned thoroughly. Simply draining and refilling will likely to lead to problems.
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2012, 04:07 PM   #11
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

oh gawd forgot about the heater setup.......how is that done?

Old 03-09-2012, 05:06 PM   #12
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Flush every which way till water comes out clean. Then seal and get to temp and dump that as well. Some say to turn the heater on but I don't see that increasing or slowing the flow in most cars unless the on switch also opens a tap for the heater units water flow.

I also put a dose of flush / cleaner to help lift any scale etc.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2012, 05:08 PM   #13
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

looks like a job for the weekend.......these things got a tap on the bottom of the radiator or do we undo the bottom hose?

Old 03-09-2012, 05:10 PM   #14
Evgeni
Auto Nerd

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: In recognition of the many hours spent scanning information for the benefit of AFF members. 

I just stick the multimeter on it. If it reads over 700mV, it gets dropped and topped up with fresh coolant.

There is usually a drain plug on the bottom of the passenger side of the radiator.
Evgeni is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2012, 05:13 PM   #15
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

where does the charge come from or is this read as a "circuit continuity test"

Old 03-09-2012, 05:23 PM   #16
BHDOGS
Banned

i thought bas used red coolant from factory
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2012, 05:43 PM   #17
Evgeni
Auto Nerd

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: In recognition of the many hours spent scanning information for the benefit of AFF members. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf
where does the charge come from or is this read as a "circuit continuity test"
Not exactly sure where the charge would be coming from. Technically the system should be insulated, but in the real world, its anyone's guess, without doing tests.
I chose this method as a measure of the pH of the coolant - just easy I suppose.
Evgeni is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2012, 06:00 PM   #18
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHDOGS
i thought bas used red coolant from factory
mines green so this could be a hint that it may have been changed sometime in the past

my wife has nicked it for now (her micra is in getting repaired after the wayward cyclist incident) so i cant look up in the service book to see if or when it was replaced, thats assuming it was documented

Old 03-09-2012, 07:42 PM   #19
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i think some of the voltage occurs as a natural chemical reaction caused by pumping hot liquid past different metals(ie cast iron block, alloy head accessories) hence the inhibitor/s .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2012, 07:51 PM   #20
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ah! the old "power generation by the exchange of liquids and bimetal's"......or in other words electrolysis

hell if I'm not real careful here I'll learn something!

Old 03-09-2012, 09:06 PM   #21
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
mines green so this could be a hint that it may have been changed sometime in the past

my wife has nicked it for now (her micra is in getting repaired after the wayward cyclist incident) so i cant look up in the service book to see if or when it was replaced, thats assuming it was documented
It was normally originally green, not red.
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2012, 09:15 PM   #22
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ah blows that out of the water then

Old 04-09-2012, 09:47 AM   #23
OLDBLOKE

Quote:
ah blows that out of the water then
i think you are best to stick with the ford coolant,the others mite not be compatible.they all say thay are but have see blocked radiators with mixing coolants.
OLDBLOKE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post