Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-09-2012, 09:16 AM   #31
AU Mont
Banned

Default Re: BFII Fairmont or VZ Commodore SV6

i have noticed alot of ads for low km BFII monts say the car is 'tidy' or 'runs well'

for a car thats only 5-6 years old, you would think it would be described as 'fantastic' or 'perfect'.

i would describe a datsun with a home backyard sprayjob as being "tidy"
AU Mont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2012, 10:32 AM   #32
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No one has mentioned expensive timing chain stretch which could put you thousands out of pocket on early years of that torqueless rough alloytec. No such issues with the bullet proof 4.0. Your biggest worry might be a coil and basic servicing.
Go and drive a VZ and you will see the 4.0 has it all over the 3.6 (or 3.8) no matter what gearbox. 4 speed autos are a good unit, mine is on 410k behind the 5.4 and no rebuild as of yet.
LSD wont matter in the real world the B series rear end is pretty well planted, shes not a live axle AU lol.

Last edited by flappist; 03-09-2012 at 03:35 PM.
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2012, 01:42 PM   #33
Dave3911

Couple of points from someone who bought a VZ SV6 Brand new in 2005.

1. Not all VZ SV6's have LSD as standard. It was made standard pretty early on in the run 1/2 way through '05. Same time they made side impact airbags standard.

2. If your looking for something that has more interior quality than the base model - the SV6 isn't it. Apart from Leather steering wheel, rear electrics and a slightly different dash cluster - it is a pov pack executive on the inside. No climate control, no multi-function trip computer. Seats are basically the same with different cloth. Mine was retrimmed with custom leather with only double digits on the ODO.... for a REASON, they are ordinary on the inside.

Last edited by flappist; 03-09-2012 at 03:41 PM.
Dave3911 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2012, 02:43 PM   #34
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have driven a VZ Berlina and was really unimpressed with the lack of torque from the V6 (I think it was the 175kw version?). In the BF you just touch the accelerator and you're off, but you really have to dig your foot in the VZ to get it to move. The interior plastic is nicer in the VZ, it's more old school style compared to the hard grainy stuff in the BF but the fit and finish is still rubbish. They use the same door cards as the VT which is a bit pox and doesn't match. It handled really well but I'd rather push a BF than drive V6 Commodore, as everyone's said, no torque and sounds terrible.