Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-08-2012, 09:56 PM   #1
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Default small car for 20 grand

It's time for the MRS to sell the focus and get a newer small car. I'm just wondering what is available for around 20 grand that has good performance and is at the most 3 years old. I'm well out of the loop on all these small cars. Manual or Auto are fine but i want something that i can jump into and enjoy when i have to drive it as well. Cheers

fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2012, 10:02 PM   #2
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: small car for 20 grand

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic
It's time for the MRS to sell the focus and get a newer small car. I'm just wondering what is available for around 20 grand that has good performance and is at the most 3 years old. I'm well out of the loop on all these small cars. Manual or Auto are fine but i want something that i can jump into and enjoy when i have to drive it as well. Cheers
At that price I would seriously considering a brand newie for a couple grand more. The Hyundai I30 is getting great reviews, and you can't go wrong with a Mazda3 or 1.4turbo Cruze. If 20 grand is the absolute maximum, I would look at a new Kia Rio Si a really fantastic little car and great to drive.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2012, 10:10 PM   #3
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Have a look at Professor Farnsworth's review on the new Rio .... not a bad bit of kit really for what it is. He has the SLS model though.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2012, 10:23 PM   #4
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

define good performance. If we're talking 0-100 in 10sec then the market's yours. If you want falcon-like accelleration, then the pickings become slimmer
Old 23-08-2012, 10:25 PM   #5
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Brand new i30, Kia rio or Mazda 3.
Fiesta_Man69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2012, 10:31 PM   #6
b2tf
not here much anymore

Agree with the Rio. Kia is really lifting their game with their quality now, whilst I havent driven one I have a regular customer at work who is super picky with his cars and is very happy with it. Has all the mod cons and even stuff like USB input etc from factory as well.
Old 23-08-2012, 10:46 PM   #7
IceValk85
MY2010 SV6 SIDI -Black-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
1.4turbo Cruze.
you are joking right? i drive a commodore and i can still find plenty of time and space to hate that daewoo bucket of shi.....

Ice
IceValk85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2012, 11:08 PM   #8
saber
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Plenty of Ford Fiesta's under 20k and less than 3 years old:

http://www.carsales.com.au/car/brand%20new/dealer/demo/private/FORD/FIESTA?eapi=2&sort=default&vertical=Car&silo=Stock &base=1216&Range=Year:2008,Max|Price:Min,20000~ 1
saber is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2012, 07:47 AM   #9
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Accent is slightly bigger than a Rio and slightly smaller than a Focus. Start pretty cheap too. 20k will prob allow you to tick some options and drive away.

Used top range lancer, i30, Mazda 3 perhaps, Focus? Fiesta ECOnetic are hovering around the 15k mark as well, ultra low consumption in those things!

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2012, 09:08 AM   #10
RASER
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic
U can buy a BRAND NEW MY13 Lancer, just released yesterday for $19,990

Thats Japanese made at less than korean ask.

Wont find a better buy than that

U are going to have to test a heap of cars, find what u like
RASER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2012, 10:49 AM   #11
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Went shopping with a good friend (Female late 20s) 2 weeks ago, and tested the Fiesta, Yaris, Mazda 2, and the Honda Jazz.

Ended up buying a brand spanking Mazda 2 (Manual) for $16,490. Great little car, plenty of go. Capped price servicing (so you know what you're up for - so long as nothing goes wrong) and plenty of warranty.

The Fiesta was good, but it was her choice and she went with the Mazda 2.
Old 24-08-2012, 11:29 AM   #12
jcxr
Tribal Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
At that price I would seriously considering a brand newie for a couple grand more. The Hyundai I30 is getting great reviews, and you can't go wrong with a Mazda3 or 1.4turbo Cruze. If 20 grand is the absolute maximum, I would look at a new Kia Rio Si a really fantastic little car and great to drive.
My daughter purchased a hyundai i30 recently, great car, well fitted out, goes beautifully, could recommend them highly.
jcxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2012, 11:38 AM   #13
Fiesta God
Ford Fiesta

I love my Fiesta and it handles like a dream - nothing in this segment has bettered it yet from a handling point of view. Fuel economy excellent, build quality excellent and the Zetec models are better equipped than virtually anything else in the class.

HOWEVER the new Kia Rio is just amazing. The SLS model is damn incredible for the money - you are talking features that 4 years ago you needed to spend $50k to get.

Plus it is quite powerful for its size - definitely more so than a Fiesta or anything similar in the class.

I have had a look at one (not driven it) and despite always trying to recommend a Ford - IMO you could not go past the new Rio. Amazing little vehicle.
Old 24-08-2012, 11:38 AM   #14
Fiesta God
Ford Fiesta

double post
Old 24-08-2012, 12:15 PM   #15
BrisVegas
Noobie

Fiesta Black (or whatever the limited edition is called). They've upped the power and it looks pretty cool.

We had a WS fiesta Zetec as my wife's car and it was a great drive. Enough power to get ahead of traffic if you needed and it corned like it was on rails. Very comfy seats even for me at 6'2" and 100kg. It was comfier and much better equipped than my Focus Zetec. The hands free phone and blue tooth streaming etc worked without a hitch. Another option would be to hold out for the Fiesta ST, which will be mid-$20ks and will go like stink.

The new Focus looks brilliant, but is well into the mid-$20ks.
LS Focus Zetec 5dr - gone
WS Fiesta Zetec 5dr - gone
BrisVegas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2012, 01:02 PM   #16
Marquis
HUGE MEMBER

I bought (4 weeks ago)the girlie a new Focus manual for $19100 with mats, window shields,headlight protectors and a full belly.Was looking at a fiesta zetec for $22,??? But was to small. Both were spankng new.

My cruiser. 1979 Zh Marquis. "T" code 351.
My garage queen :(. 1980 TF Cortina Ghia Wagon. 4.1.
My dog. 2011 Sierra
My Daily. 2012 ZH (lol) OUTLANDER xls. 4WD CVT. Sapphire blue

Wanted
Borg Warner Lsd or centre. 25 spline
Marquis is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2012, 02:23 PM   #17
Marquis
HUGE MEMBER

I bought (4 weeks ago)the girlie a new Focus manual for $19100 with mats, window shields,headlight protectors and a full belly.Was looking at a fiesta zetec for $22,??? But was to small. Both were spankng new.

My cruiser. 1979 Zh Marquis. "T" code 351.
My garage queen :(. 1980 TF Cortina Ghia Wagon. 4.1.
My dog. 2011 Sierra
My Daily. 2012 ZH (lol) OUTLANDER xls. 4WD CVT. Sapphire blue

Wanted
Borg Warner Lsd or centre. 25 spline
Marquis is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2012, 09:09 PM   #18
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The missus Mazda 3 loves a good hammering when I get my hands on her. Seriously though they handle and go pretty damn well.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2012, 10:00 PM   #19
bigwil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

New focus or fiesta, both quality cars.
bigwil is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2012, 10:44 PM   #20
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So many different cars to choose from in that class. It would be impossible to narrow down one vehicle just from opinions here alone. I think you should test drive some of the cars in question and find out which feels best.
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post