Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 28-01-2005, 10:00 PM   #1
Low Na
Cruisin in my EL

Default Manual conversion q's

Here go's. Next week, im going to attempt to convert the el to manual, yay for me. Now, having pulled the parts from the fairlane, I know I have everything that I need, but I have a few questions. Firstly, any tips for pulling the auto? Drop tailshaft, disconnect shifter links, oil lines and cables, unbolt box, remove shield, undo converter, then it should come out yeah?
Secondly, I bought a new spigot bearing, which way does it go in? It has a small lip on one side. Does this lip go against the motor, or the box (hope that makes sense). Then, what torque do the flywheel bolts get done up to? Apart from that, im confident in fitting up the manual.

Also, I noticed that the tag on the box has a 97da (something like that) id number. What year model would this box be from? Also, can anyone tell me it the tail shaft from a 4 speed el will be the right length for a t5?

And finally, I should be fine to use the ea flywheel and clutch yeah? It'll probably only be in there for 6 months or so, till I get a lightened flywheel and heavy duty clutch.
Think thats about all for now.
Low Na is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2005, 11:08 PM   #2
stockstandard
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds good for removing the auto. I had to hold the engine in place when the auto came out otherwise it will rock (hit firewall or radiator).

Cant remember about the spigot bearing - my book says seal out

97da = EL box (?)

Tailshaft is same for 4 and 5 speed

I think my flywheel is origionally from an EA. not too sure though
stockstandard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2005, 11:14 PM   #3
Low Na
Cruisin in my EL

97DA = EL? Good to know. Always thought it had come from an ea (at least thats what the wrecker said). By seal out, Im asuming that refers to the lip?
Low Na is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2005, 10:19 AM   #4
INJECTED_250
Custom user title

97da couldnt ever have come from an ea.......... un less ea's were built in 97 and thank god they wernt
INJECTED_250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2005, 10:23 AM   #5
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by INJECTED_250
97da couldnt ever have come from an ea.......... un less ea's were built in 97 and thank god they wernt
LMAO.
they might have had better quality / specification if they were
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2005, 10:26 AM   #6
OED666
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

umm, try and jack the front of the engine up, and if yo have a spare chassis stand use that, as it will be easier to get to the top bolts on the gearbox. when Rollin and i pulled the auto out of mine, we never had to take the convertor off... otherwise you would have to drain the box.

if no one has said what torque specs soon, i will let you know, i dont have my repair manual with me at the moment.

you should have no probs with the ea flywheel and clutch. i have an ea flywheel and a daikin clutch to suit, and i have never had a problem. stuff getting a heavy duty clutch. get a daikin!!! I cant get mine to slip, and it cops it... and it loves it!!!