Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-02-2012, 10:53 PM   #1
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Driving an Unregistered Vehicle in NSW

I am looking to have my Mitsubishi Scorpion re-registered after having it in storage for the last three years. I figure, I may as well enjoy it as I did when I was a teenager...

I am however confused though, in NSW the RTA website indicates I can drive it unregistered to the nearest AUVIS certified workshop to have a 'Blue Slip' completed on it and then home again to complete any required repairs.

I fully intend on covering myself with CTP for whatever journeys I need complete to finish the registration process, but do I also need an Unregistered Vehicle Permit as well? Or is the UVP not required because I am driving it to the Inspection Station (Mechanics)?

Here is the link to the RTA website which appears to still be current -
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registrati...les/index.html

It all just seems a little ambiguous, and the last thing I want to do is break the law without even knowing it.

calais is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2012, 10:58 PM   #2
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 
Default Re: Driving an Unregistered Vehicle in NSW

To get an unregistered vehicle permit, the vehicle has to be taken over to have a rego check done to make sure it's safe to drive on the roads, so in other words, as long as your driving directly from A to B to have roadworthy work done, it will be ok. Make sure you have mechanics phone numbers with you just in case.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:00 PM   #3
Landau Stable
Landau Tragic

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his many posts on welding and fabricating for coupes 

I've been pulled up in NSW with no plates before. No dramas. Politely explain that you are on the way to the inspection and provide the details of the place inspecting it. Offer for them to follow you if they like. Provided you are booked in, and you are travelling to the NEAREST CONVENIENT place, you will be fine. In my instance, my inspection was a few suburbs away. They asked me why, and i explained that it was the nearest place that could fit me in. No sweat, on my way.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:01 PM   #4
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Yes make the appointment at the mechanics..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2012, 11:05 PM   #5
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds easy enough then, I will ensure I have all my bookings squared away.

I should however add that the inspection place which I will be taking my car to is a few suburbs away, and it is not my closest available.

Unfortunately the man who runs the workshop closest to me, does not have the most shining of reputations, and I will not, ever, under any circumstances patronise his business. So it will be a roughly a fifteen minute trip each way to my favoured Mechanic who has always been honest and fair during my previous dealings with him.

I hope im not going to run afoul of the local constabulary on account of what I am arranging?
Old 06-02-2012, 11:09 PM   #6
Landau Stable
Landau Tragic

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his many posts on welding and fabricating for coupes 

Explain what you just said, and i am sure that you will be fine. There aren't enough cops on the road as it is, so most likely you won't even be stopped. Since you are clearly trying to do the right thing, just keep up that attitude and you won't have any dramas. For extra precaution, take a print out from the RTA website.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:18 PM   #7
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cheers Landau Stable, thats good advice which I appreciate around here.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:59 PM   #8
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

are you covered for third party CTP while driving the vehicle unregistrered?....Who is liable if you hit a pedestrian, for example?
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2012, 12:03 AM   #9
hawker

I'm not sure about NSW, but I know in the ACT you can get temp rego, for the trip to get work done. I think it lasts 24 hours or something. Can't find any info on it, but RTA might be better to ask.
hawker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2012, 12:08 AM   #10
XARATE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Quality contribution which has gone somewhat un-noticed so far. 

Just call your insurance company and ask for a cover letter, basically its temporary insurance in the event something happens you end up paying a full year of insurance straight up and the claim gets processed