Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-01-2012, 12:07 PM   #1
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default It's all over for me and cars

I didn't know where to pu this but just need to vent my frustration to like minded people as most in my family aren't into cars.

Well first a bit about me I'm 29 years old and have played with cars all my life working on them with my dad and generally thought of modifying/fixing cars as a relaxing past time and a form of therapy.

Well I have been batling an illness called crohn's disease it is a form of inflamitory bowel disease and while it was under control it has flared badly for the past year and I have 0 energy and generally feel exhausted and crap all the time not to mention being stuck in the toilet and in horrible pain all the time making it impossible to work on cars.

Well now I also have a condtion called ankylosing spondilitis which is a form of severe arthritis brought on by the inflamitory bowel disease (crohn's) its in my hands back, knees and all over the place.

I have a ba turbo in the driveway at the moment and the more I look at it and want to work on it I can't I can't even detail it properly myself and have to pay people. Well now I can't work and am on disability pension and have no money for my hobby which I'm passionate about.

What I'd like is some suggestions on how I can stay with my hobby but I don't really wanna pay mechanics as I get such a huge enjoyment out of working on and maintaining my own cars and I had an xe esp that I built but had to sell aswell due to this everytime I look in the projects section I feel like crying as I love working on cars with my mates and hanging out in garages talking crap about cars and working on them.

What would you do if you were in myshoes just want some suggestions on how I can stay in the hobby or just maintain my car to my standard lets just say I'm pedantic when it comes to my cars.

Sorry for the long post but just feel I need to vent to like mended people

Boza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2012, 12:14 PM   #2
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: It's all over for me and cars

Sorry to hear of your circumstances.

Suggestions to stay and appreciate your hobby:
Join a club;
Actively participate in a forum or two;
Use both to raise awareness and fund raise for a cure;
Keep a close circle of mates to share the good and bad times;
Old 26-01-2012, 12:18 PM   #3
gtfpv
GT

1st of all , RELAX mate , and adapt to reality , dont feel isolated by your disadvantage , your one of thousands . 1st of all , you have a ba turbo , WHATS THERE TO DO ?? Just enjoy the car for what it is and do mods a different way , get friends to help you , or just do things slower . dont worry about what you cant do . everybody cant do something !!! learn to adapt to your situation and do the best you can . cheers mate .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2012, 12:24 PM   #4
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It just upsets me that I can't enjoy my car for weeks at a time as I enjoy driving and cruising alot.

And I hate seeing nice cars go waste thats just how I feel bout my car sitting there covered in dust waiting for someone to help me clean her.

It's also that were at that age where most of the guys are getting married and starting families and its hard to meet up theese days for those and other reasons

I'm relaxed and don't feel isolated just feel like I could be doing more but can't
Old 26-01-2012, 12:27 PM   #5
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Those who can't do, teach.

If you not only like working on cars, but actually have talent doing so, you could write tech articles for forums such as this one. Or you could teach your friends some tricks. (And if they're really good friends, you could have them work on your car while you supervise.)

Or you could teach some kids how to work on cars.

Also, depending on how close you need to be to a toilet, you could take up car photography. You could go to shows and races, and take pictures of cars in action.

It is very understandable that you are depressed right now. That is a lot to deal with, especially at 29 years of age. But you're already taking some initiative by posting about it here, and you know you're among like-minded people.

Finding a new way to enjoy cars may require patience, but I suspect you've already been forced to learn that due to your medical conditions. You'll figure something out eventually. Hang in there, and know that people wish you well.
Old 26-01-2012, 12:35 PM   #6
GT-E

I know how you feel, I also suffer from severe spondilitis in my back. Being an Ex mechanic, I still love tinkering with cars. The suggestions above are all very valid, just think of different ways you can do things.
I find that only doing smaller projects in bite sized chunks keeps my health ok and allows me to still feel like I am enjoying my hobby. I do not do anything heavy like changing wheels or motor replacements, but doing LED conversions, oil changes, clean and polish, etc. can be very rewarding. You can also try model making, as this can really help with achieving building a model of your favourite car.
It may also help to read what people are doing to treat your condition on the internet as diet seems to help a lot.
Old 26-01-2012, 12:43 PM   #7
Pis-ton broke
Banned

sorry to hear that mate, thats a crap hand you,ve been dealt.
Maybe you could become involved with a car club and help out? and in return someone might help you. take up auto photograph and sell the pics? just maybe need to think a bit laterally. thank god we have the internet these days ,yeah. Maybe smoke the pipe might help.
Pis-ton broke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2012, 12:50 PM   #8
Rodge
Banned

I feel for you mate...I had a prolapsed disc in my lower neck that put me out of a lot of activities that I liked to do including cleaning and polishing my car for about 18 months until it recently healed up reasonably well, not 100% by any means. I found not sweating the small stuff was helpful, just try and focus on what you can do, not what you can't. Take your car to one of those brushless car wash places and run it through the machine, they do a pretty good job. It doesn't matter if your car is not spotless its still a good car. I still remember my first Blueprint colour BA Turbo fondly, they're good cars, enjoy it as much and as often as you can. All the best.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2012, 12:53 PM   #9
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah tried the model making and it didn't go well started geting horrible cramps and pains in my fingers and then my fingers became like locked and twisted in all sorts of directions but I decided to leave it for a bit and come back to my model well when I did my stupid fingers locked up again and I broke the bloody thing which made me fell a whole lot worse as I was detrmined to work through the pain and cramps but didn't go to plan.
Old 26-01-2012, 01:17 PM   #10
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boza
I didn't know where to pu this but just need to vent my frustration to like minded people as most in my family aren't into cars.

Well first a bit about me I'm 29 years old and have played with cars all my life working on them with my dad and generally thought of modifying/fixing cars as a relaxing past time and a form of therapy.

Well I have been batling an illness called crohn's disease it is a form of inflamitory bowel disease and while it was under control it has flared badly for the past year and I have 0 energy and generally feel exhausted and crap all the time not to mention being stuck in the toilet and in horrible pain all the time making it impossible to work on cars.

Well now I also have a condtion called ankylosing spondilitis which is a form of severe arthritis brought on by the inflamitory bowel disease (crohn's) its in my hands back, knees and all over the place.

I have a ba turbo in the driveway at the moment and the more I look at it and want to work on it I can't I can't even detail it properly myself and have to pay people. Well now I can't work and am on disability pension and have no money for my hobby which I'm passionate about.

What I'd like is some suggestions on how I can stay with my hobby but I don't really wanna pay mechanics as I get such a huge enjoyment out of working on and maintaining my own cars and I had an xe esp that I built but had to sell aswell due to this everytime I look in the projects section I feel like crying as I love working on cars with my mates and hanging out in garages talking crap about cars and working on them.

What would you do if you were in myshoes just want some suggestions on how I can stay in the hobby or just maintain my car to my standard lets just say I'm pedantic when it comes to my cars.

Sorry to hear about your problems ...... nothing good comes out of health issues but as far as hanging in there .... just enjoy and do what you can even if your are limited. Easy things to say but hope things improve.

As far as Ankylosing Spondilitis goes, I do know a great deal about it, even though it can pop up, it is mainly a hereditary disease ...... my sister's have it and to a smaller degree so do I and to some extent I expect my son to have it. I blame my dad . He has it bad .... no pain anymore though as his back and neck are now fused together. My younger sister needs to exercise constantly to stop it from being a problem and at 46 you wouldn't know she has it. If she stops exercising she feels it for sure. Least she is bloody fit though. I just get a sore back but is no where near as severe. Dad cannot move his back or neck as it is now 1 solid bone ....... but at 76, just come through 100% with cancer, still works 4 days a week and is on a cruise somewhere at the moment annoying mum. Just saying ...... it can be kept under control but activity is the only way to go.

If they caught it in dad 30 years ago, instead of them telling him to rest, he would not be in the state he is now. I get a check up every 2 years or so ..... which reminds me to book in again! If they tell me to do more exercise I think I will be in strife

I know with your other problem it will make it harder but.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by Auslandau; 26-01-2012 at 01:23 PM.
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2012, 01:42 PM   #11
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Firstly AFF is your family...

Make sure you keep going to the AFF events, just put your hand up to ride shotgun with someone. I'm sure there is lost of people on here who would be glad to take a passenger on the next club/forum run.

I bumped into an old workmate at the Hotrod show and he had a couple of tables full of 1:18 model which he an his mates had customized (this guy is in his late 50's). He was doing this because 1:1 scales cost way to much to have what he wanted. Doing this could keep the creative juices flowing without breaking the bank or your back.

Lastly A great post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
1st of all , RELAX mate , and adapt to reality , dont feel isolated by your disadvantage , your one of thousands . 1st of all , you have a ba turbo , WHATS THERE TO DO ?? Just enjoy the car for what it is and do mods a different way , get friends to help you , or just do things slower . dont worry about what you cant do . everybody cant do something !!! learn to adapt to your situation and do the best you can . cheers mate .
Old 26-01-2012, 02:56 PM   #12
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah I tried to go to the hot rod show on the weekend but had no energy and just veged on the couch had head spins and the like

I get what you guys are aying about getting out and about but somedays its so damn hard no energy and needing to go the dunny all the time the worst bit is O gotta do the 60sec dash to the loo or it could end very badly and embarasingly

Thats mainly why I can't really get out and about as much as I'd like also does anyone have some pics from the hot rod show as I really wanted to go but felt like crap and had bowel problems even when I stick to my limited diet
Old 26-01-2012, 05:04 PM   #13
Foobar
Irregular Member

Boza, in case you don't see it I have sent you a PM.
Foobar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2012, 05:56 PM   #14
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah thnks foobar and thank you all for the positive comments and kind words I trully appreciate it from the bottom of my heart
Old 26-01-2012, 08:39 PM   #15
AU Mont
Banned

my mother has recently let me know of her suffering crohn's disease and the doctors told her basically nothing can be done

she is a health freak and takes a multitude of different vitamin tablets and apparently is bringing it under control to a point, where even the doctor says whatever she is doing to keep doing it

if you want i can ask her a few questions and relay them back to you?
AU Mont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2012, 12:04 AM   #16
FalconForce

i am sure that heaps of the members of this forum in victoria would come and give a hand with any mods that would want to do to your car, me especially me any time you want any help just pm me and i will free up some time

What's scarier than the thunder? The Typhoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Doesn't matter anyway whatever they do its wrong according to people on here.
FalconForce is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2012, 12:10 AM   #17
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I have to ask have you discussed the surgery to ease the crohnes ?
mate of mine did last year and he looks so much healthier (32 years old), has returned to work and is enjoying life again , as for the spondo it is tough . My uncle has it and has good and bad days but with some life changes and alterations to diet and sleep he does ok , still lots of energy most days at 70 , I suggest you seek advice and solutions as you can turn things around and good luck with it
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2012, 05:16 AM   #18
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah after suffering with this crap for the last 5 years and this last year has been complete hell I have been constantly ill and now its 4am and i'm up in pain and discomfort all i ate for dinner was fish and i'm stuck in the dunny when i should be sleeping.

i'm looking at surgery very seriously going to talk with the quack today bout my options but he says my disease is severe and he has already recommended i have the op
Old 27-01-2012, 09:07 AM   #19
Rodge
Banned

If you havn't allready got a really nice loveable pet I highly recommend Sydney Silky dogs, as per my avatar. Some people believe a pet is an important part of one's therapy...donno about that but they sure make you feel good.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2012, 11:45 AM   #20
MyForce6

Gday,

I'm very sorry to hear of your circumstances mate.

Silly thing to ask but have you seen this?

http://www.natural-cures-and-home-re...s-disease.html

Have you seen a nutritionist?

I hope the surgery helps.
MyForce6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2012, 12:27 PM   #21
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
yeah after suffering with this crap for the last 5 years and this last year has been complete hell I have been constantly ill and now its 4am and i'm up in pain and discomfort all i ate for dinner was fish and i'm stuck in the dunny when i should be sleeping.

i'm looking at surgery very seriously going to talk with the quack today bout my options but he says my disease is severe and he has already recommended i have the op
Have a google about your diet , mates wife has it as well and dropping a lot of foods although boring halped a good deal , perhaps a substution for your fish is in order ?
good luck with it as I am sure good medical advice can and will help
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2012, 12:50 PM   #22
MyForce6

Here's a good documentary for you to watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoccB...e_gdata_player
MyForce6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2012, 01:29 PM   #23
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah I'm doing a diet called the specific carbohydrate diet basically no refined carbs like pasta,breads,sugar

I actually watch what I eat like a hawk I don't eat sugar breads pasta etc...
I try and eat very well its just the inflamation that is playing havoc with me guts and for some bloody reason I can't get the marker down
Old 27-01-2012, 01:33 PM   #24
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge
If you havn't allready got a really nice loveable pet I highly recommend Sydney Silky dogs, as per my avatar. Some people believe a pet is an important part of one's therapy...donno about that but they sure make you feel good.
Yeah got a big dog weighs just as much as me at the moment hehe its a black labxrotti shes a good dog when i'm lying on the couch she comes over and puts her head down next to me like she knows whats going on.