Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 08-11-2005, 05:22 PM   #1
spope
Banned

Default Diff swap!

I am gonna be installing a LSD into my car this weekend, along with new control arms, and an overhaul of the rear brakes (new rotors, pads, overhauled calipers)
I have -
New swaybar bushes
New trailing arm bushes
New uni joints for the tailshaft (mine are starting to knock)
New diff oil
New brake fluid
New upper and lower spring seats

Is there anything that I have forgotten, or anything else that I should replace while I am there?
I will probably grab an ef rear sway bar from the wreckers on saturday while I am there - stick that in at the same time.
Any advice on the easiest way to do it?
Obviously tighten all the bolts when the car is on the ground - that's a given ;)

Front suspension/brake overhaul will be in a couple of weeks - have to get a press from somewhere for that.
All in preperation for GOR this year - I am planning to make it!

spope is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2005, 05:53 PM   #2
Damo
Banned

Diff swap is pretty easy get the back up nice and high, undo everything leaving the shock bolts till last then lower it down and out. You gunna press the trailing arm bushes in yourself ? and the uni joints ? I wouldn't mind knowing how to do the unis.
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2005, 10:19 PM   #3
John_LS1

i wouldnt bother with the EF rear sway bar...there all 22mm
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2005, 11:06 PM   #4
Kaddis
Kaddis Customs

LSD has different oil yeh?
Old 08-11-2005, 11:16 PM   #5
sphell
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

most LSD oil is the same as regular diff oil. Some brands (Castrol I think) require u to add a small amount of a special additive but Penrite, Valvoline etc are all the same. Its just the SAE 85-90 oil for cars unless you drive a truck or heavy *** car its 90-140.

spope - sounds like you've got everything there. I just installed a new diff this afternoon ;) Maybe get a one man brake bleed kit if your doing it by yourself....they are bloody useful! Are you putting in a whole new lsd diff or just the lsd center?
sphell is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2005, 10:19 AM   #6
spope
Banned

Complete diff - much easier ;) I ordered a one man brake bleeder kit this morning - so that will make life more pleasant.
Castrol specifies LSX 90 - which is equivalent to the ford spec fluid, so good enough for me
Trailing arm bushes are pre-installed, I have here changeover arms with new urethane bushes.
Uni joints are pretty easy, just remove the circlip and start bashing them with a hammer.
Old 09-11-2005, 12:57 PM   #7
EFFalcon
Last warning

actually the 3.45LSD has a different oil to the normal 3.2 LSD.
the 3.2 uses the normal LSD stuff, the 3.45 uses thicker stuff thats hard to find.
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2005, 03:09 PM   #8
spope
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFFalcon
actually the 3.45LSD has a different oil to the normal 3.2 LSD.
the 3.2 uses the normal LSD stuff, the 3.45 uses thicker stuff thats hard to find.
Not according to the Ford transmission manual it doesn't.
It says there are two kinds of LSDs fitted to EA-ED, a 75 series and a 78 series (which I interpreted as 25 vs 28 spline, but I could be wrong)
Says 6 cylinder vehicles used a 75 series lsd and V8 used a 78 series.
But, it specifies SAE 85 for 75 series and SAE 90 for 78 series - no specific mention of which ratios need what.
However, it would not be the first time the manual was missing info on later models, as I thought all EB2 onwards had a 28 spline diff - which would require the slightly thicker fluid.
Either way, the application guide on the LSX 90 matches the Ford part number - and that is good enough for me.
Old 09-11-2005, 03:18 PM   #9
EFFalcon
Last warning

perhaps its ef/el only.

6 cyl LSD (non-XR) use SAE 90 EP
8 cyl & XR LSD use 80W-140
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post