Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 06-11-2005, 11:43 PM   #1
sphell
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Mod day

Just thought I'd post up a big thanks to Damo, Ash and Sunny for helping me put my new clutch in today despite the heat Damo and Ash were kind enough to let me use their place cause they have a flat floor in their garage while my joint has a slopey driveway which would have made the job about 1000% more dangerous!

We got crackin on the 'box about 10:30am and had it out in no time. Took a break for lunch and had the thing back in with the new Xtreme clutch by about 3pm I think it was.

After that the day kinda went to sh1t cause I decided to take a look inside my diff which has been making a shocking grinding noise for the past few weeks. So we ripped that out and dismantled it. We discovered the pinion gear was grinding as you turned it so I took it out and put it back in (after about 2hrs of stuffing around cause I damaged the bolt thread). I didn't put as much pre-load on the bearings this time cause I thought that might have been the cause. We also chucked in a mini-spool while we had it apart ;)

Anyway once it was back together and in the car the problem was still there. Kinda put a dampener on the day cause we spent so much time on it for nothing..... bloody cars... :jab: Looks like I'll be taking a trip to the wreckers to get another diff next weekend.

All in all, the clutch works perfectly! The pedal is so light I can't believe I'm driving a Falcon, and the mini-spool is sure gonna get some strange looks . Just have to get rid of that diff noise and she'll be sweet again!

sphell is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2005, 11:47 PM   #2
EFFalcon
Last warning

Good to hear doug
everythings getting a nice freshen up, once the diff's done the whole driveline will be pretty reliable.
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2005, 11:51 PM   #3
Stevo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hmmmmmmmmmm minispooooool
Old 06-11-2005, 11:52 PM   #4
Damo
Banned

Yeah was a good days work. It's a nice clutch that Extreme wish mine was that light. I reckon we could set some records for clutch swaps. :

Should be sweet once you get that diff sorted, the mini spool is sik. ;)
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2005, 12:06 AM   #5
neb
hibernating

sounds good which xtreme clutch did you get?
neb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2005, 08:44 AM   #6
Kenaz
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Shame about the diff, it would've made the day complete if we could've fixed it. Did you end up playing with the timing when you got home? I imagine the CBF factor would've been high :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Nov 02
It's suave, more subtle, and yet no less stirring. In fact, the boosted Ford is more polished than any big sedan Australia has ever produced. It's just so damn good, it makes the SS feel crude... Ignore the WRX. Forget the E49. Falcon XR6 Turbo is king.
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2005, 07:29 PM   #7
sphell
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nah I didn't touch the timing lol...got over it.

Well after using the car for work today I've decided the spool is coming out! It's just not practical for an everyday car and half the customers will think I'm ripping little skids in their driveways as I leave lol ;) I actually went down to Just Falcons before and bought a new diff. It's a 3.27 SS out of an ED. I'll just space out the lower control arms so it fits. The guy chucked in an EB tailshaft as well. If I can be stuffed I'll put my old LSD center in it but otherwise I'll just install it and drive it.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:37 PM   #8
Damo
Banned

ahh good **** Doug, did they charge you much ? You gunna wait till the weekend to swap it over. Should be nice and smooth atleast. How's that clutch going ? Have you 'tested' it out yet. :
Old 07-11-2005, 08:05 PM   #9
Stevo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

noooooooooooo
a minispool isnt suppose to be practical.
keep it!!!!!!!!! :P
Old 07-11-2005, 08:12 PM   #10
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

At least use the NOS before the spool comes out so you know what traction is!
Old 07-11-2005, 08:16 PM   #11
John_LS1

yeah seen your car there while i was out that way today doug...how do u get out of the exit???or do u leave via entry cause the exit is stuffed!
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2005, 10:58 PM   #12
sphell
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_xr6
yeah seen your car there while i was out that way today doug...how do u get out of the exit???or do u leave via entry cause the exit is stuffed!

yeah that whole carpark is stuffed! I still go out the exit, my car levels out all the lumps lol.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:18 PM   #13
Damo
Banned

^^^ haha, and isn't your undercarrige proof of that. :
Old 08-11-2005, 11:31 PM   #14
sphell
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ey guys, well this afternoon i did a bit more work on the old EA. Put the new diff in and sorted out the larger ED control arm mounts with a few big washers. I was going to put my old LSD center back in the new diff but when I pulled the cover off it the center looked a bit different so I left it alone. Sunny also noticed that the ED diff was made by BTR while the EA one was a Borg Warner. Could have something to do with it.

I put some new oil in it too and now it's quite as. I also tinkered with the timing a bit. The AU motor just didn't feel 'right' and I knew that it had more power left in it. I've been driving it like this since I did the conversion and have just put up with it. But today I marked a new TDC mark on the balancer (where it should be) and cracked out the timing light. Turns out that the motor was running about 6deg of ignition retard! No wonder it had no power.

I gave the dizzy a turn and set it up for the factory 10deg BTDC setting. Took it for a spin and it was a HUGE difference! Couldn't believe it. It'll definately make the car less of a ***** to drive now that I use it for work
Old 09-11-2005, 01:18 AM   #15
ned
Once shy... twice bitten

I think, although I'm not 100% sure, and don't laugh at me if I'm wrong... but BTR and Borg Warner could be the same company.