Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 09-06-2011, 02:31 PM   #1
brownieXR8

Default Brake Upgrade Advice

I'm looking to upgrade the brakes on the XR8 220 and like am after a bit of advice.

Firstly, I have a set of Speedy Bullitt 18x8's on the car, and it may see some track time.

I've read that going to the BF caliper and disk is a popular upgrade, but does it give much better stopping power? With some decent pads, slotted rotors and brake fluid would they be up to the job of a couple of laps around a track?

I can't afford to go for 6 pot Brembo's, I'm not even sure if they'll fit, but are there any other worthwhile options that would fit behind my wheels? Are 4 pot AP Racing, or Brembo any smaller clearance wise than the 6 pots?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
brownieXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2011, 02:55 PM   #2
Day-mow
rexnet

Default Re: Brake Upgrade Advice

If your running a standard set of pads a new set of good pads and slotted rotors will be a different car.
The B series upgrade gives a fair bit more disc area and is pretty simple from what I understand to swap over. And so intheory I guess it would help. Altho I do remember hearing people Having issues with discs warping a lot on BA's.
Hope this helps.

Remember it is the internet,So beware of trolls, If you argue with trolls the kids will laugh at you

Follow me on twitter @ Day_mow
Day-mow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2011, 03:35 PM   #3
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

If its going to see track time then dont waste youre money upgrading stock parts to better brands,ditch the whole assembly.

Have you looked into the C6 brakes of the MK1 BA GT/Phoon?They pull my beast up nicely at over 1.8Tonnes+driver.

Factory/cheap discs are the ones that warp on BA's often not the upgraded factory size items like DBA 4000 ect.I doubt you would be going for BA brakes anyway in 298 size as you have allready indicated BF aspirations.

The C6 brakes are better than the BF std brakes though,bigger front discs and caliper pistons.Figure around 2-300$ more for C6's over BF.
FreddyDUZ747 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2011, 11:22 PM   #4
XR Lita
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm selling off my Brembo setup from my car if you are interested. Not sure if they will fit under those wheels though.

: T1 TE50 #094 :
XR Lita is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2011, 11:33 PM   #5
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownieXR8
I'm looking to upgrade the brakes on the XR8 220 and like am after a bit of advice.

Firstly, I have a set of Speedy Bullitt 18x8's on the car, and it may see some track time.

I've read that going to the BF caliper and disk is a popular upgrade, but does it give much better stopping power? With some decent pads, slotted rotors and brake fluid would they be up to the job of a couple of laps around a track?

I can't afford to go for 6 pot Brembo's, I'm not even sure if they'll fit, but are there any other worthwhile options that would fit behind my wheels? Are 4 pot AP Racing, or Brembo any smaller clearance wise than the 6 pots?

Go find a suitable 4 or 6 pot caliper after market and add a larger diameter disk and possibly wheel , I added 6 pots and 360mm disks to my daily bimmer which forced 18" wheels but it almost does stoppies now , how much do you value your self ?
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2011, 06:37 PM   #6
adumb
FG G6ET

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownieXR8

I have the BF XR8/6T setup on the front of my Ghia and as a stock for stock upgrade it was great! The pysical size difference between the two is amazing. The brakes hold up a lot better after a good workout and have much better stopping power than stock AU2. I got the setup for $400, good value in my eyes! Also the stock BF pads dust way less than stock AU2.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:49 PM   #7
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

in a couple of weeks im taking the brakes off my ba xr6T not sure if its an upgrade for you but let me know ill do them cheap for you
Old 12-06-2011, 07:33 PM   #8
MGM
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I got bf xr8 upgrade for my au3 xr8, front upgrade was 350. Havnt put them on yet though but the size difference is awesome
MGM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post