Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 03-02-2011, 01:32 AM   #1
cop 5.6L
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Factory Sat Nav Installation.

Hi guys,
Going to have a go installing a factory vdo sat nav in the ts50 this weekend.
Before i start taking things apart it will be nice to know what will be involved with the wiring side of things.

Does anyone have any wiring diagrams which will assit in installation of the signal wiring, i found the trailer loom in the boot which powers up the main disk unit, but there are two other small connectors, one with three wires and other with 2 wires.
These need to be jointed to the correct wires either at the back of the cd unit or at the kick panel j-box.

Any help would be great.
Cheers Tony.

cop 5.6L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2011, 03:12 PM   #2
T3man
Banned

Check in here Tony for the wiring schematics.

http://fordforums.com.au/wsm/wire/au/Part%2024-4.html

on pages 102/103
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2011, 03:21 PM   #3
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

From what I remember, to have the Sat Nav you had to have Premium Sound.

So if your car doesn't have it the wiring for the Sat Nav may not be there?
T3 TL50 #147 Silhouette Auto ESS - Brembos - Last of 3 in T3 spec, only AUIII TL50 ever built -14.2 sec @ 98mph bog stock. Only customer ordered T3 TL50 built, only LWB sedan plated AUIII and the last performance enhanced LWB sedan built by Ford Aust.

AUII Fairlane Ghia Sportsman 5.0L in Blue Pearl

OWN THE ROAD
FTe342 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2011, 03:29 PM   #4
FTE72
Red is nice Mark.

/\/\/\/\ This is correct 100%
Std sound in my TE no sat nav wiring loom. TS has premium sound and the loom for sat nav.
TE 50 #72 Blueprint & TS 50 #105 Blueprint
:
FTE72 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2011, 03:56 PM   #5
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Premium Sound was still an option in TS. My TS only had Prestige sound but don't know if it was wired for Sat Nav
T3 TL50 #147 Silhouette Auto ESS - Brembos - Last of 3 in T3 spec, only AUIII TL50 ever built -14.2 sec @ 98mph bog stock. Only customer ordered T3 TL50 built, only LWB sedan plated AUIII and the last performance enhanced LWB sedan built by Ford Aust.

AUII Fairlane Ghia Sportsman 5.0L in Blue Pearl

OWN THE ROAD
FTe342 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2011, 04:15 PM   #6
FTE72
Red is nice Mark.

The loom for the Sat Nav is on the smaller ISO plug on Premium sound that carries the signal and switch circuit for the sub amp. So I assume Prestige audio will not have it.
I would think any car with Premium sound option will have the Sat nav loom as well, not TE/TS, Futura/Fairmont specific.
I changed head units in both the T's over xmas, so learnt a little bit about the looms while they were pulled apart side by side but I have never had a Prestige one to play with.
Easy enough to find out, just remove head unit and see if you have 2 plugs!
TE 50 #72 Blueprint & TS 50 #105 Blueprint
:
FTE72 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2011, 05:37 PM   #7
cop 5.6L
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3man
Check in here Tony for the wiring schematics.

http://fordforums.com.au/wsm/wire/au/Part%2024-4.html

on pages 102/103
Thanks for that mate, can alway count on the tseries guys for help.

Just pulled the cd unit out of the dash, by looking at the schematics the three pin male connector c237 coming for sat nav unit in boot should plug into c237 female connector located at head unit which i cannot find.

I have three connector at the head unit c186 which is power loom etc, c232 which has amp loom and what looks like phone connect wired in to it and then comes out with a male connector called c228.

In the schematics it looks like female connector c237 should be wired to male connector c232 which then plugs into the head unit.
If this is the case i need a diagram of connecter c232 as the is 5 vacant spots for the wires to go, this is not shown on the connector drawings only shows the wiring for the phone wiring.

Tony
Old 03-02-2011, 05:39 PM   #8
cop 5.6L
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTe342
From what I remember, to have the Sat Nav you had to have Premium Sound.

So if your car doesn't have it the wiring for the Sat Nav may not be there?
It has premium sound displayed on the cd player face, is that how you tell?
Old 03-02-2011, 07:07 PM   #9
cop 5.6L
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No go with finding the 2 core speed signal connector which is ment to be near drives kick panel.
Any one know if the wiring is different on the manual cars?

Tony
Old 03-02-2011, 10:16 PM   #10
T3-TS50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cop 5.6L
It has premium sound displayed on the cd player face, is that how you tell?
Rear parcel shelf Premium has the extra speaker in the middle
Old 04-02-2011, 11:04 PM   #11
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 

Hi. This may help
Pin no. Cable color Connection
A1 black/white speedometer signal input 
A2 white/yellow back-up lights (reversing signal) 
A3 white/brown mute signal output (open collector) ❍
A4 red +12V permanent power supply, “terminal 30” (via cable fuse 10 A if necessary) 
A5 white/blue switch input “Accessory” ❍
A6 grey switch input low beam (do not connect to dashboard illumination!) 
A7 violet +12V switched, “terminal 15” (must not be interrupted during engine start) 
A8 brown negative battery pole, “terminal 31” 
For a1 speedo input on series 1 AU white wire on rear of cluster or on ecu in l/h kick panel, series 2/3 white wire rear of cluster or in orange plug above accelerator pedal,
a2 reverse lights in trailer plug harness.
a3 mute pale green on rear of radio or near bcm or under center consul,
a4 B+ 12 volt feed may be in trailer harness like BA/BF, if not try under dash/rear of radio etc,
a5 switches screen to second input (tv/dvd/phone/etc),
a6 lights Dims screen/changes to night colors when lights are on, connect to brown wire in trailer plug harness,
a7 switched input Connect to ignition feed, red/green under dash (hot side of brake switch?),
a8 earth.
The other iso plug has connections for remote and speaker output, the twisted pair of wires are speaker out and the easist thing is to get a speaker from an old phone kit and use that or it can be fed into some radios so sound is from car speakers.
Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

2003 ACID RUSH BA FUTURA WAGON

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
foxtrot3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2011, 12:44 AM   #12
cop 5.6L
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrot3
Hi. This may help
Pin no. Cable color Connection
A1 black/white speedometer signal input 
A2 white/yellow back-up lights (reversing signal) 
A3 white/brown mute signal output (open collector) ❍
A4 red +12V permanent power supply, “terminal 30” (via cable fuse 10 A if necessary) 
A5 white/blue switch input “Accessory” ❍
A6 grey switch input low beam (do not connect to dashboard illumination!) 
A7 violet +12V switched, “terminal 15” (must not be interrupted during engine start) 
A8 brown negative battery pole, “terminal 31” 
For a1 speedo input on series 1 AU white wire on rear of cluster or on ecu in l/h kick panel, series 2/3 white wire rear of cluster or in orange plug above accelerator pedal,
a2 reverse lights in trailer plug harness.
a3 mute pale green on rear of radio or near bcm or under center consul,
a4 B+ 12 volt feed may be in trailer harness like BA/BF, if not try under dash/rear of radio etc,
a5 switches screen to second input (tv/dvd/phone/etc),
a6 lights Dims screen/changes to night colors when lights are on, connect to brown wire in trailer plug harness,
a7 switched input Connect to ignition feed, red/green under dash (hot side of brake switch?),
a8 earth.
The other iso plug has connections for remote and speaker output, the twisted pair of wires are speaker out and the easist thing is to get a speaker from an old phone kit and use that or it can be fed into some radios so sound is from car speakers.
Cheers MD

Thanks for your input mate.
I’m aware of what the wires do and were there location should be, what I required is a connection diagram for connector c232.
This will allow me to mute the radio once the navigation system is talking.

Too hot today to work on the car, but from what ive checked so far a t3 ts50 man with premium sound isn't wired up for sat nav.

I have made up a loom to take care of the 2 pin connector, which is a speed reference signal, and 12v ignition feed.

Need to have a look at a factory sat nav c232 connector to correctly wire unit and have it work correctly, this is not shown on the wiring schematics on here.

If theres anyone on here with a factory sat nav i need a picture of the wiring positions on the c232 connector, this is the small male connector that plugs into the cd player. If anyone can do this for me ill greatly appreciate it.
Tony.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:49 AM   #13
Jimmyd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cop 5.6L
Thanks for your input mate.
I’m aware of what the wires do and were there location should be, what I required is a connection diagram for connector c232.
This will allow me to mute the radio once the navigation system is talking.

Too hot today to work on the car, but from what ive checked so far a t3 ts50 man with premium sound isn't wired up for sat nav.

I have made up a loom to take care of the 2 pin connector, which is a speed reference signal, and 12v ignition feed.

Need to have a look at a factory sat nav c232 connector to correctly wire unit and have it work correctly, this is not shown on the wiring schematics on here.

If theres anyone on here with a factory sat nav i need a picture of the wiring positions on the c232 connector, this is the small male connector that plugs into the cd player. If anyone can do this for me ill greatly appreciate it.
Tony.
Have you looked in the AU connector libary here? http://fordforums.com.au/wsm/wire/au/Part%2024-3.html
Jimmyd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2011, 03:28 PM   #14
cop 5.6L
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyd
Have you looked in the AU connector libary here? http://fordforums.com.au/wsm/wire/au/Part%2024-3.html
Yes i have, only shows connection for connector c228 which is car phone connection. Doesn't even show wiring for amp connection.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:24 PM   #15
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 

Hi. The phone connections are all you need to hook up the nav, just mute (pale green) and the speaker connection

HI

I'M MICHAEL

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
Old 07-02-2011, 07:07 PM   #16
cop 5.6L
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrot3
Hi. The phone connections are all you need to hook up the nav, just mute (pale green) and the speaker connection
Yes i know, but i prefer to wire it like factory.
I think i worked out the mute function, just need to find the speaker outputs.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:55 PM   #17
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi. if the mute wire is already there you need to look for the mobile office connector which will be under the consul or above your left foot. it will be two plugs, one of which is a four pin with the light green mute wire and a black earth wire along with a constant and accessories power feeds and a second plug with 2 wires, the speaker output of the nav connects to this input to the radio. Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

Old 13-02-2011, 04:57 PM   #18
cop 5.6L
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All done guys, thanks for everyones input.
Just need to hook up power outlet below bcm.
Also im working on a loom that will enable me to hook up a dvd player and tv turner, just some more testing to do before its ready.
Cheers Tony.

Old 13-02-2011, 06:13 PM   #19
T3man
Banned

Very good Tony - how did you go with making up the lower mounting points for the factory HU? Obviously you have it all in so can't have been too difficult eh? Nothing an angle grinder can't fix.
Old 13-02-2011, 06:50 PM   #20
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi. Looks trick. like to see more photos and details on mounting of screen and head unit. Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

Old 14-02-2011, 12:34 AM   #21
cop 5.6L
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Because I never got the centre finish panel with the conversion, I had to make it up using a standard Fairmont surround and the sat nav bezel.

The centre finish panel is where the screen and head unit screw/ clip into, if you have this panel all you need to do is cut the lower support panel reinforce it and make up a rear support for the back of the head unit. I basically copied the set up above where the head unit use to sit.

Tony
Old 14-02-2011, 01:01 AM   #22
T3man
Banned

Yeah that's what I'm doing with mine. Luckily though I do have the fascia so a bit of a bonus there. I got my dash out today and new dash goes in tomorrow and then the cutting and bracket making begins.
Old 14-02-2011, 02:00 AM   #23
cop 5.6L
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Very lucky that you have the centre finish panel mate, im still on the hunt for one.
I used a reciprocating saw to cut out the lower support panel with the dyson below the blade sucking up the shavings, saved me removing the dash,
Hope all goes well with the install.
Old 14-02-2011, 02:19 AM   #24
T3man
Banned

Yeah, I have the carpet out as well so making a bit of mess won't be an issue LOL. The only issue is I want it back on the road before I go to Melbourne on Wed - might not happen! LOL.
Old 14-02-2011, 10:19 AM   #25
cop 5.6L
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Can only hope its all done by that day mate.

While you have everything apart have you noticed the two sat nav connectors I was looking for in my car?
Did your unit come with the factory wiring loom or the vdo loom?

I just found guy that still sells the vdo sat nav unit brand new for $1100, but he was telling me it’s a up dated unit with a black remote, looked the same to me.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:43 AM   #26
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 
Default Re: Factory Sat Nav Installation.

what was the entire package consisting of?
Old 12-04-2011, 09:34 PM   #27
cop 5.6L
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Factory Sat Nav Installation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoSR
what was the entire package consisting of?
Kit consists of:

DVD recevier
Screen
GPS Antenna
Remote
Sat nav surround
Sat nav dash surround
Wiring loom from recevier to screen.