Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-03-2011, 09:35 AM   #1
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Default Roadworthy/Safety Cert. Inspection

Just wondering what kind of things they check...

I'm aware of the usual things like condition of seatbelts, all lights/signals work, steering components...

What else do they check?

Putting mine in this week for RWC and I don't want it to go in and fail for something stupid that I could have fixed at home in 5 minutes.

Thanks in advance guys!

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2011, 11:43 AM   #2
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

IF ya know someone that will give you a blank RWC that will help you out

Lights,tyres,brakes,handbrake,suspension,rust,exha ust,ect
Everything works as it should
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2011, 11:48 AM   #3
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Do they check things such as exhaust noise levels? Mine only has a cat and a single straight through muffler...pretty loud.

I guess I'm pretty right if I just make sure all the lights work, handbrake does, etc. It's a fairly late model car, and I've seen far far worse condition cars get rwc..

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Old 15-03-2011, 12:08 PM   #4
familybus

just take it in and fix what they tell you to fix!

easy

might save you heaps of grief later anyway
familybus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2011, 12:30 PM   #5
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

There's a thread on this from a couple of months ago which was pretty comprehensive

If i ever fail roadworthys then it's usually only on three things:
oil leaks
worn suspension bushes
frayed/slack seatbelts
Old 15-03-2011, 01:40 PM   #6
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My father in law had to replace his roof lining..it wasn't hanging down enough to cause a problem, but defected ,because it could...
Old 15-03-2011, 04:46 PM   #7
tankclare
BURN RUBBER NOT OIL

Don't even get me started on roadworthys lol. I only just got my car finally passed yesterday afternoon.

I'll give you a rundown on the story. A few weeks back my younger brother got defected in my car (EF fairmont ghia) for the exhaust being loud and slightly damaged from bottoming out. On the defect papers it also stated the car need to go for a roadworthy inspection. This is where the fun began. We replaced the exhaust with another system that's a lot quieter and also tidied a few things up on the car. I took it down for it's 1st pinkslip inspection and the fella got in and took off down the road, he returned a short time later and asked if I really wanted it tested? I said why whats wrong. He said a list and i just said nah dont worry about the test just yet I'll fix it up.

First test = FAIL but didnt actually write me a slip which was nice. Things to fix were:
-sagged rooflining (we pulled out and reglued)
-brake pedal rubber missing (replaced that afternoon)
-gear selector damaged (replaced)
-ABS light flickered on when he drove it (fixed)
-front wheel bearing (replaced both sides)

Ok I thought lets try again but after some bitterness with the old place I went tothe servo just down the road from me. I dropped the car off and after waiting for 3 hours finally get a phone call to say the car failed and to come pick it up. By now I was not a happy chappy.

Second test = FAIL. Few things were very dodgey and annoyed me alot. Things to fix:
-right hand front wheel bearing (umm no its not even a week old)
-lower ball joints (***** of a job, took 25 tonnes of pressure to press out and 35 tonnes press in. I couldnt believe it)
-inner gaurd slightly touches wheel every now and then (cut them out)
-exhaust leak (puttied that up)
-bald tyres on front (were no where near the wear indicator so wasn't happy.. just put some spare tyres I had on)
-damaged or missing wiper blades (really annoyed by now. They literally went out of their way and unclipped one and pulled it halfway out)
-handbrake not working (readjusted)
-oil leak (replaced power steering pump. During test they literally broke my air intake off to look for leaks :-( It wasnt bolted back down properly either)

Took it back to get the list ticked off and was screwed around more by the servo. Finally got in and PASSED yesterday afternoon. What started out as a quick exhaust change to clear a defect pretty much turned into a night mare but the car is like new now so thats a good thing. While off the road we also gave it a full service (engine, gearbox and diff and every filter), replaced the fuel injectors, replaced the alternator and also replaced the coolant header tank. It has cost a fair bit of money, anger and inconvenience to sort it all out but what can you do.

[SMOKES] FG XR6 build thread - http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=4795218#post4795218

tankclare is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2011, 05:06 PM   #8
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Geez, well mine goes in Friday.

Thanks for scaring me =P

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex

Old 15-03-2011, 09:03 PM   #9
CODSASR

Default Re: Roadworthy/Safety Cert. Inspection

last time i did a RW had to replace a few things after the first one then they failed me second time beacause I had a missing screw from a rear speaker then wanted to charge me $15 to put a new screw in

2012 SZ TS Territory
CODSASR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2011, 09:12 PM   #10
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Complain when they defect you for a radiator leak from a split in the top tank.

Or because the door hinge has 2Mm of movement up and down.

Or finally, a secondary ignition switch that's used as an anti-theft devise.

That'll peeve you off.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2011, 10:14 PM   #11
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tankclare,

HAHAHA the car did not pass with some pretty obvious issues and YOU are p!$$ed off the mechanic failed it. Are serious?
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2011, 11:32 PM   #12
tankclare
BURN RUBBER NOT OIL

Not so much for the issues with the car but for the way they acted about it. Hard to explain unless you were there and see the condition of some other vehicles that pass. I know it sounds worse then it was because of how it is listed but if you seen the condition of the parts there were some dodgey calls made.

In all seriousness who unclips a wiper blade so they can fail someone on it or literally breaks an air intake and doesnt even bother to tell you. As for the tyres they were reasonably new and I even went back to the tyre place and had them tell me they were fine and that the other mechanic must of been trying to con us for more money. The wheel bearings werent even a week old at the time of the test too so you can sort of see how I would be annoyed. What if someone damaged one of your GT's and didnt tell you and failed you for something rediculous that you know is good.

In all honesty we were treated like rubbish and they wonder wy no one goes there. I can even say it was a FORD workshop so I was disappointed.

[SMOKES] FG XR6 build thread - http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=4795218#post4795218

Old 18-03-2011, 01:51 PM   #13
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

So, RWC done…

This is what’s wrong with it as per the safety inspection sheet.

- Wiper inserts not serviceable – Easy fix
- Exhaust mount missing from rear of transmission
- Exhaust to ground clearance to be at least 100mm
- Transmission pan gasket is leaking – Service pan I’m assuming?
- Both front suspension bump stops not serviceable
- Rear suspension springs are loose/too short – Put in std springs for roady? Lowered shocks?
- Bonnet struts are weak – Easy fix
- Both rear upper control arm bushes are worn/perished
- Front bumper not secured – Dunno what the go is here, pretty secure to me.
- Wheel alignment required - easy
- Rear view mirror decoration to be removed – easiest of them all, D’oh!

So, pretty extensive list there….

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex

Old 18-03-2011, 06:05 PM   #14
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_661
Bonnet struts are weak – Easy fix
My mechanic put a bend in mine on my old XE to stop the bonnet dropping down when raised
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2011, 06:08 PM   #15
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljh74
My mechanic put a bend in mine on my old XE to stop the bonnet dropping down when raised
Haha...I think I won't take the chance and just get some neweys fitted.

Ol mate is doing up a quote for me to fix it all...What is everyones bet?

I'm thinking $500ish all up.

I'm pretty peeved the trans pan gasket is leaking, considering it's a rebuilt gearbox with approx 100km on it. Pity the shop that built it closed up.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex

Old 18-03-2011, 06:12 PM   #16
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

$500 all up
Yeah right
Rear upper control arm bushes alone could quite possibly double that estimate for you
Old 18-03-2011, 06:19 PM   #17
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
$500 all up
Yeah right
Rear upper control arm bushes alone could quite possibly double that estimate for you
Some of us don't know the ins and out of every car part...Care to explain?

Knowing my luck it's probably a bloody IRS out job.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex

Old 18-03-2011, 06:25 PM   #18
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

My guess of costs for each bit:

- Wiper inserts not serviceable – $15
- Exhaust mount missing from rear of transmission - $20
- Exhaust to ground clearance to be at least 100mm (new springs - see below)
- Transmission pan gasket is leaking – wipe and degrease area thoroughly, cost = nil. For proper service, allow $180
- Both front suspension bump stops not serviceable - $150 (mostly labour because the bumps stops are on the shock shaft, so it's the same labour charge as installing lowered springs or installing new shocks)
- Rear suspension springs are loose/too short – if you have springs, cost will be $100 to fit them, if you need to buy, cost will be $200+
- Bonnet struts are weak - bend the shaft = nil cost, new/reco ones = $150 odd
- Both rear upper control arm bushes are worn/perished replacement bushes plus labour - $200 to $400 (sorry, I have no idea how much the bushes are, but it's at least 1 hour's labour @$100 odd per hour)
- Front bumper not secured – Dunno what the go is here, pretty secure to me. check all bolts and secure as required - $50 worth of labour?
- Wheel alignment required - $50 for front end only, $100 for 4 wheels alignment
- Rear view mirror decoration to be removed – nil cost

So total should be somewhere between $500 and $1k
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2011, 06:27 PM   #19
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
My guess of costs for each bit:

- Wiper inserts not serviceable – $15
- Exhaust mount missing from rear of transmission - $20
- Exhaust to ground clearance to be at least 100mm (new springs - see below)
- Transmission pan gasket is leaking – wipe and degrease area thoroughly, cost = nil. For proper service, allow $180
- Both front suspension bump stops not serviceable - $150 (mostly labour because the bumps stops are on the shock shaft, so it's the same labout charge as installing lowered springs)
- Rear suspension springs are loose/too short – if you have springs, cost will be $100 to fit them, if you need to buy, cost will be $200+
- Bonnet struts are weak - bend the shaft = nil cost, new/reco ones = $150 odd
- Both rear upper control arm bushes are worn/perished reaplcement bushes plus labout - $200 to $300
- Front bumper not secured – Dunno what the go is here, pretty secure to me. check all bolts and secure as required - $50 worth of labour?
- Wheel alignment required - $50 for front end only, $100 for 4 wheels alignment
- Rear view mirror decoration to be removed – nil cost

So total should be somewhere between $500 and $1k
Helpful post mate! Thanks.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex

Old 18-03-2011, 06:28 PM   #20
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_661
Helpful post mate! Thanks.
No wuckers.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2011, 07:28 PM   #21
tankclare
BURN RUBBER NOT OIL

good fun isnt it

Old 18-03-2011, 07:34 PM   #22
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Wheel alignment for a roadworthy. First time I've heard that one. I know they're required for a statuary write off. Not for re-registering a car.

Sounds like the mechanic is trying to poke you where it's not very nice

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2011, 12:33 AM   #23
SLO AU XR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
Wheel alignment for a roadworthy. First time I've heard that one. I know they're required for a statuary write off. Not for re-registering a car.

Sounds like the mechanic is trying to poke you where it's not very nice
+1. I didn't need a wheel alignment, and I had 3.6* of negative camber + 5mm of toe in on the rear. It isn't needed!
Forced Performance Tuned
SLO AU XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post