Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-02-2011, 05:19 PM   #1
zebby

Default Max speed limit dropped to 110 kph to save fuel

http://www.thereader.es/en/spain-new...save-fuel.html

Heaps of speed cameras on Spanish motorways these days. Could it be a novel way of disguising revenue raising ???

Hope our state goverments don't hear about this.

zebby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2011, 05:43 PM   #2
Kryton

They are paying an equivalent of $1.73 a litre for petrol.
I can sort of see where they are trying to come from, but at the same time, saving fuel should be a personal decision and not something that should be mandated by the government.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2011, 06:00 PM   #3
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Seeing as how most people in Europe drive four cylinder cars (some "family cars" are actually quite small), and most of them are extremely fuel efficient diesels, they don't really need to try hard to save fuel. Sounds like an excuse to me.

As for reducing fuel consumption through speed limits, it isn't a new idea. Isn't that why they brought in the 55mph limit in the USA back during the fuel crisis of the 1970's?
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2011, 06:14 PM   #4
BigBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
Seeing as how most people in Europe drive four cylinder cars (some "family cars" are actually quite small), and most of them are extremely fuel efficient diesels, they don't really need to try hard to save fuel. Sounds like an excuse to me.

As for reducing fuel consumption through speed limits, it isn't a new idea. Isn't that why they brought in the 55mph limit in the USA back during the fuel crisis of the 1970's?
it was and it was also the justification for the 70 MPH limit on England's motorway system around 1973 I think.

Funny how they were never lifted isn't it?

Peter.
BigBlue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2011, 07:55 PM   #5
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes, odd that.

I've got a victim of the fuel crisis in my shed...a 1974 Kawasaki 750cc three cylinder two-stroke H2-750 Mach IV. It goes like stink, and stinks as it goes...
There's no way in hell this thing could meet increasing emissions and fuel economy targets...if you just cruise along on the highway, it might get 40mpg (which is abysmal for a bike), if you give it some stick, it'll drop to 20mpg...and if you really get up it, it'll drop into nearly single figures...
Old 28-02-2011, 09:19 PM   #6
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes, odd that.

I've got a victim of the fuel crisis in my shed...a 1974 Kawasaki 750cc three cylinder two-stroke H2-750 Mach IV. It goes like stink, and stinks as it goes...
There's no way in hell this thing could meet increasing emissions and fuel economy targets...if you just cruise along on the highway, it might get 40mpg (which is abysmal for a bike), if you give it some stick, it'll drop to 20mpg...and if you really get up it, it'll drop into nearly single figures...
Yeh but the front tyre lasts forever......

I used to ride a Mach III, bloody nasty machine.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2011, 01:19 PM   #7
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

of course, they are saving fuel at the expense of loosing time.

are they also going to save fuel by limiting commercial aviation? guess not
Old 01-03-2011, 01:54 PM   #8
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes, odd that.

i dunno if your saying it as a joke or not, but you do realise any new emissions laws are for new vehicles built after the date of the new law? There is no retrospective law in terms of emissions.... or ADRs for that matter...

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2011, 04:25 PM   #9
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue
it was and it was also the justification for the 70 MPH limit on England's motorway system around 1973 I think.

Peter.

The 55 MPH national speed limit was lifted in the US in the 1990's, but each State still had to lift it, and Ohio, where I live, was one of the last. The State limit here is 65 MPH. Just across the border, in a couple other States, it's 70 MPH

Steve

My XB Interceptor project

Wife's 1966 Mustang

My Artworks and Creative Projects Site
Oil Paintings, Airbrushing, Metal Sculpture,
Custom Cars, Replica Movie Props, Videos,
and more!
Ohio XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2011, 07:17 PM   #10
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
i dunno if your saying it as a joke or not, but you do realise any new emissions laws are for new vehicles built after the date of the new law? There is no retrospective law in terms of emissions.... or ADRs for that matter...
Sorry, I should have explained it better for people who didn't know a bit of motorbike history. The Kawasaki 750 triple was a legendary performance bike of the time, but being a very large two stroke, it used a massive amount of fuel. The Japanese makers started to detune it, and lower production of it in the mid seventies because in the biggest export market for the bike, the USA, they were bringing in harsher restrictions on fuel economy and so-on. There was no way this bike could meet requirements and didn't look good for the company, so they eventually stopped making it and concentrated on smaller bikes and large economical four stroke bikes.

Jumpt to today, and here on Oz The Greens are already getting a hard-on over the idea of petrol taxes and "corporate fuel economy averages" to "reduce the use of the motor vehicle", which means, of course, that if they had thier way, a company like Ford or Holden would have to build thier cars in production numbers that would allow thier "average fuel economy" to meet a certain target.
That means making more small cars and less large thirsty cars.

That means if the restrictions were tight enough, it would eventually become uneconomic to build those large thirsty cars, so the makers would wonder if they really needed them. Look at Ford when they dropped the V8's for the old EFI six...they said no one "needed" a V8 as the EFI six was perfectly good for anything you needed.
it wouldn't take much for that sort of reasoning to return again...we've already got a government pandering to whatever the minor parties want...would fuel economy averages be that far out of the question?

It's happened before, it'll happen again...
Old 01-03-2011, 07:22 PM   #11
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue

Peter.
Very true Pete but no one obeys it and the Police only get interested if you are doing over 90 mph.

Looks like it may get lifted soon.

Cannot get the link to work, here is the source,

http://uk.autoblog.com

and the text

The government is considering plans to increase the speed limit on the nation's motorways to 80mph in order to 'increase productivity', Transport Secretary Philip Hammond has said.

He also indicated that action would be taken by the government on record fuel prices in the Chancellor's budget next month.

Changes in speed limit considerations would represent a significant u-turn in government policy, with Hammond saying that safety would no longer be the sole consideration when setting speed limits on UK roads.

The Transport Secretary, who drives a Jaguar XJ, said gains in productivity from faster motorway speeds could help with the economic recovery: "We need to do this on a pretty rigorous cost-benefit basis. At the moment there are a clear set of criteria for making these decisions. Perhaps we ought to ask if we are using the right set of criteria."

With fuel economy generally dropping by 15% between 70mph and 80mph, however, perhaps the biggest beneficiary of the government's plans will be the tax coffers themselves.
JG66ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2011, 08:09 PM   #12
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Sorry, I should have explained it better for people who didn't know a bit of motorbike history. The Kawasaki 750 triple was a legendary performance bike of the time, but being a very large two stroke, it used a massive amount of fuel. The Japanese makers started to detune it, and lower production of it in the mid seventies because in the biggest export market for the bike, the USA, they were bringing in harsher restrictions on fuel economy and so-on. There was no way this bike could meet requirements and didn't look good for the company, so they eventually stopped making it and concentrated on smaller bikes and large economical four stroke bikes.

Jumpt to today, and here on Oz The Greens are already getting a hard-on over the idea of petrol taxes and "corporate fuel economy averages" to "reduce the use of the motor vehicle", which means, of course, that if they had thier way, a company like Ford or Holden would have to build thier cars in production numbers that would allow thier "average fuel economy" to meet a certain target.
That means making more small cars and less large thirsty cars.

That means if the restrictions were tight enough, it would eventually become uneconomic to build those large thirsty cars, so the makers would wonder if they really needed them. Look at Ford when they dropped the V8's for the old EFI six...they said no one "needed" a V8 as the EFI six was perfectly good for anything you needed.
it wouldn't take much for that sort of reasoning to return again...we've already got a government pandering to whatever the minor parties want...would fuel economy averages be that far out of the question?

It's happened before, it'll happen again...

yes I understand that, but those days are long gone.....
fuel isn'tcheap anymore and cars need to be fuel efficient.
not to mention that peoples take home pay these days (im mean after paying bills etc) is much less.

who can afford to run a V8 which returns 13MPG? every day of the week?
I own an XB and I rarely drive it around town because the cost of fuel is so prohibitive...

Lower emissions and better fuel economy is simply the natural thing to do...
And yes I remember when fuel was just 45cents a litre.

It also means that companies use the latest technology and improve their cars.. again, cant argue with that?

(and no im not a believer in climate change or carbon taxes)

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2011, 11:00 PM   #13
Saraco

Quote:
Yes, odd that.

My mate has a kwaka H2, sounds beautiful, goes like ****** off a shiny shovel, when you gun it , it makes a smoke screen to rival a James Bond movie prop, and an exhaust, that makes your eyes water, literally, from all the raw hydrocarbons spewing out! Everything the greens are against, in one machine....gotta love it!
Saraco is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2011, 12:15 AM   #14
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saraco
My mate has a kwaka H2, sounds beautiful, goes like ****** off a shiny shovel, when you gun it , it makes a smoke screen to rival a James Bond movie prop, and an exhaust, that makes your eyes water, literally, from all the raw hydrocarbons spewing out! Everything the greens are against, in one machine....gotta love it!
I have a 1976 Kawasaki Z900A4 with 4 into 4 pipes. It is green, lol.
JG66ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2011, 01:01 PM   #15
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG66ME
With fuel economy generally dropping by 15% between 70mph and 80mph, however, perhaps the biggest beneficiary of the government's plans will be the tax coffers themselves.
Sounds like a Win-Win for motorists and the govt. of course, the greens will never let something like that fly here.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:30 PM   #16
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That price is not expensive petrol for Europe, it has always been about this or more for the last 10 years!!

Our price should be way less as we have less taxes and our dollar is valued so high at the moment.
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2011, 02:13 PM   #17
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes, odd that.

My father has an old Kawasaki triple, he also has a Honda CBX (Straight 6) which was I have been informed was very fast bike back in its day. Years ago he used to race a Kawasaki triple.

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post