Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 23-01-2011, 08:02 PM   #1
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default How to get new key cut with a key

Well it looks like I have missplaced my keys (my wife calls it lost). I never had a spare so can I get something done from Ford?

UK

How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2011, 08:32 PM   #2
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Oops. You will need to go to Ford (or a locksmith may be able to do it, but more likely this is a Ford only job).

Whenever I "lose" mine, I just keep looking until I find the last place I had them, and there they invariably are!
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2011, 09:07 PM   #3
Beer Baron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh i hate people who say they'll be in the last place you look. Of course they will be, Why would you keep looking after you have found them.
Old 23-01-2011, 09:16 PM   #4
Uncle_Ken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Ahhh but I haven't 'lost' mine they are just offline, somewhere, in cybersapce and/or 2154 Castlehill NSW.
UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Old 23-01-2011, 09:25 PM   #5
FYRE_81_AUI_00
woop woop woop woop

good luck finding your keys mate

i only have 1 key also and probably should get another cut just incase so out of curiosity can i locksmith cut an AU key properly or is it a ford only job

thanks
FYRE_81_AUI_00 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2011, 09:28 PM   #6
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

locksmiths are inevitably cheaper so get another key from a locksmith (copied to yours), take your car to ford and get them to program it...

easy
Old 23-01-2011, 09:52 PM   #7
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer Baron
Oh i hate people who say they'll be in the last place you look. Of course they will be, Why would you keep looking after you have found them.
Oh i hate people who have no sense of humour!

Strange places I have found mine:

1. in between the drivers seat and console
2. in between drivers seat and door
3. in centre console (lift lid)
4. in boot (hard to get to with LPG fitted!)

UK - I assume you have tried those locations? Were you wearing shorts/trousers with pockets that bulge when you sit down? If so, go back and look at the places you sat today, and check down the sides and underneath sofas/recliners/lounges etc.

An option for those who don't have a spare key is to take a photo of both sides of your key in case you lose it and don't have a spare - a good key cutter can get it close from the photo.

Standard charges for an AU key:
1. Key blank - around $25
2. Cutting blank from an existing key - around $30 to $50 (shop around)
3. Programming by Ford - usually around min labour charge (for my local dealer that's $55)

Total of between $110 to $130.

If you have 2 keys already and want a third, you can program it yourself once it's cut.
I have had 2 quotes from locksmiths for the same as above and one was $180 and one was $250.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2011, 10:24 PM   #8
Uncle_Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC

Yep looked there
Yep
Yep
Yep and took out the back seat, spare wheel, inside the hole were the cluster sits.

UK - I assume you have tried those locations? Were you wearing shorts/trousers with pockets that bulge when you sit down?

Yep (but I don't like to brag, turns bright red)
If so, go back and look at the places you sat today, and check down the sides and underneath sofas/recliners/lounges etc.
Yep moved and found $5 in change

An option for those who don't have a spare key is to take a photo of both sides of your key in case you lose it and don't have a spare - a good key cutter can get it close from the photo.
No images damm...
3. Programming by Ford - usually around min labour charge (for my local dealer that's $55)

If you have 2 keys already and want a third, you can program it yourself once it's cut.
I have had 2 quotes from locksmiths for the same as above and one was $180 and one was $250.
I'll look again tomorrow and get a quote from Power Ford (just around the corner from me)
Old 23-01-2011, 10:25 PM   #9
Uncle_Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC

Yep looked there
Yep
Yep
Yep and took out the back seat, spare wheel, inside the hole were the cluster sits.

UK - I assume you have tried those locations? Were you wearing shorts/trousers with pockets that bulge when you sit down?

Yep (but I don't like to brag, turns bright red)
If so, go back and look at the places you sat today, and check down the sides and underneath sofas/recliners/lounges etc.
Yep moved and found $5 in change

No images damm...

I'll look again tomorrow and get a quote from Power Ford (just around the corner from me)
Old 23-01-2011, 10:58 PM   #10
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

if ya dont want to pay ford to cut a key for you, take out the rear bootlock as the locksmith can get a key cut from just that..
Old 23-01-2011, 11:11 PM   #11
FYRE_81_AUI_00
woop woop woop woop

UK- dunno how old and senile you are getting yet but my mum is getting there and keeps losing her keys lately.. when i end up finding them for her they are usually in the ignition or the car door or the front door of the house ;) haha

and thanks for the info fellas, had a few car keys cut from locksmiths before but they usually only work in the doors not in the ignition, don't know if any of them would have needed to be programmed to work though

it is right that only series 2/3 keys need to be programmed as i'm sure i remember someone telling me you didn't need to do it for series 1
Old 23-01-2011, 11:14 PM   #12
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Early S1 AU's use smartlock - get key cut, then start the car and be on your way
Later S1, AU S2's and S3's use smartshield which requires Ford to program it
Old 23-01-2011, 11:16 PM   #13
MAV50L
Banned

Go to Ford with the chassis number and proof of ownership. they should be able to look it all up and do you a key off that info.
Hopefully your locks havent been changed before.
MAV50L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2011, 11:20 PM   #14
FYRE_81_AUI_00
woop woop woop woop

thanks xrghiawagon

yeah i definitely have smartshield - late series 1 here, so looks like i'll have to shell out some bucks to ford