Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 29-09-2005, 04:10 AM   #1
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default How to: AU2 XR front on AU2 Wagon

I spent around 4 hours today ripping the Forte front off the wagon and putting an XR front on instead. I've done a tech article which will appear (or should appear) on AUFalcon.com when Casper gets a minute or two. Until then, this is the method without pics. If anyone wants the full article with pics, PM me and I'll email it to you.

Pics of the finished product are in the AU Showroom Thread.

What you will need:

· A Forte, Futura or Fairmont, 6 or 8 cylinder, auto or manual
· One XR Bar – AU1 or AU2/3 (ebay, Ford Forums For Sales, trading post, FTG Auto Salvage, other Ford wreckers) or the XR50 bar from AWC
· XR Lights (get from same places as above, or The Headlight Hospital - $500 odd plus about $20 postage)
· One pair AU XR front indicators – part numbers ERTVE 13368 A RH & ERTVE 13369 A LH – Approx $120 for the pair new from Ford – should be cheaper from wreckers, etc.
· For AU2/3 Fortes and all Fairmonts, an AU1/XR/Ute Bonnet is optional, though most would recommend you get one, or get the BA/AU bonnet hybrid from AWC. I’m sticking with the AU2 bonnet, as it has it’s own “bulge” of sorts – just need to do something to close the gap (refer to step 7 for full details).
· Eight 6mm (4 for bar/lights, 2 for lights)
· Approx 3 to 4 hours

This is a reasonably easy job to do, and a fairly moderate cost depending on whther or not the bar you get needs painting etc. All up, it’s cost me around $1150.

Refer to removing bumper bar instructions on AUFalcon.com to remove the bar. Lights are held in by 4 bolts and are fairly easy to remove once you have the front bar off.

Method

1. Remove Grille and Front Bar and lights.

2. Trim the white reinforcement egg crate thingy (Remove top 4 sections on each side.)

3. Splice the XR High Beam Wiring and Parking light wiring to the Forte loom. I soldered the wires and used heat shrink, then taped the wires together. Best way to do this is to cut the connectors from the Forte loom, and as much wire as you can from the XR light loom. The Forte Low beam plug stays in tact – it plugs in to the XR low beam with no worries at all.

4. You will need to drill 2 holes in each side of the radiator support panel to fit the XR bar. I trial fitted the bar and marked the holes with the bar on. I drilled 6.5mm holes, as I was using 6mm x 16mm hex bolts to secure the bar. XRs have welded nuts underneath – I just used Nylon Lock Nuts (requires 10mm spanner).

5. Plug the lights in and use 6mm x 16 or 20mm bolts to secure them (you can use the same bolts that held the Forte lights – I chose to use Hex bolts (requires a 5mm allen key). Only 2 of the bolts go into threaded holes that held the old lights in, so you will need to use 6mm nuts for the other 2 – I used Nylon lock nuts. Don’t put a bolt in the top RH hole of the LH (drivers) side headlight bracket, or the top LH hole of the RH light bracket. It’s worth checking that the lights work, as it is much easier to change bulbs with the bar off, if needed.

6. Fit the bar – use the reversal of the removal procedures linked at the top of this tech article.

7. Check all nuts, screws etc to make sure everything is tight. The pic below is with the AU2 bonnet still fitted. There is a large gap between the bottom of the bonnet and the top of the XR grille – to remedy this, either fit an AU1 bonnet (you will need to get an AU1 bonnet latch as well) or just put up with it, or make a third horizontal bar using the top section of the Forte grille, or make your own third bar from fiberglass – I’m going to try a combo of the last two and see how it goes.

Here's an after shot just so this thread isn't totally useless.

Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2005, 10:11 AM   #2
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I was going to say if you wanted a low series bonnet ... I can swap with you ... but seeing as you are keeping yours ... that's fine.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2005, 10:51 AM   #3
parawolf
beep beep

whopping great big spot for an air intake between the top horizontal bar on the XR front to the bonnet lid!
Old 29-09-2005, 12:51 PM   #4
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by parawolf
whopping great big spot for an air intake between the top horizontal bar on the XR front to the bonnet lid!
True ... about the only way an SS Inductions scoop/snorkel will REALLY work ... you have the perfect spot for one now.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2005, 12:54 PM   #5
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Good suggestion parawolf.

Adam - you reading this? Don't suppose you'd be interested in making something up for me (at a reasonable cost)?
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

Old 29-09-2005, 04:08 PM   #6
Sleeperau
Highway Taxi

Thumbs up

A job well done, it looks fantastic!
Old 30-09-2005, 12:28 AM   #7
chief
FTF Club Moderator

Well done. I hope you poored a beer for your self at the end.

Once again, well done, it looks great to see people doing upi their wagons.

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2005, 12:36 AM   #8
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Thanks sleeperau and chief. I thought it was all worth until the missus said "It just looks like any other XR frmo the front". Which is good, and bad. Got lots of comments today from people at work though - most of them non-Ford drivers who liked the look, and a couple of mates who were lamenting the demise of the XR wagon (the last was EF, I think!).

Anyway, I love it, it goes harder (coincidental - nothing to do with the front end), and I really enjoy driving it. Skirts, rear tailgate spoiler and rear TS50 wagon bar to go now. First 2 are close - just waiting on Adam for the last one.

Old 02-10-2005, 11:10 PM   #9
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

**COUGH**XR50**COUGH**

mate, thats going to look SWEET..
whats the plan with the bonnet? keeper or getting the low series?

if your keeping it... what you doin in the gap?

hey, mail recieved too

Rob
sfr rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2005, 12:58 AM   #10
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Rob - I'm going with the AU2 bonnet for now. Made a custom Air intake today to go in the gap (took me 5 hours!). It started life as a downpipe and now looks like an air intake made out of a downpipe. Tomorrow, I'm ging to change the design a bit, and might even try fibreglassing a skin on it so it looks a bit better.

Old 03-10-2005, 10:32 AM   #11
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

This is a nice look. Stay with the AUII bonnet I like the bulge sort of style too.

Post up some more pics for us to look at with the new grille.
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2005, 01:02 PM   #12
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

The new grille is really dodgy, but I will post some pics up this arvo. I have already come up with a new design, just don't know quite how to make it (yet).

If Adam could mould the upper horizontal bar from an AU2 XR8 (or the XR50 bar), that would help my cause no end.

Old 03-10-2005, 01:54 PM   #13
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

custome grilles are a bit tricky but stay with it i like the XR6 Fairmont hybrid front look. progress pics would be nice
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2005, 09:49 PM   #14
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Well, here is the new grille, version 2. Version 1 is gone - it was cut up to make version 2. For better or worse, it's staying - mostly because I made it, and I think it looks OK. Positive and negative comments welcome.

I cut up the stock forte grille surround and used the top part of the surround (only about the centre thrid of it though) - it hides the bonnet latch well, and saved me fabricating something. I also cut up the grille insert and used the top part as the front of the new third horizontal bar for the XR grille. What I have made is a big air intake for the snorkel - the induction roar is now great at WOT.

Car is filthy, and lighting isn't great - I will get some daytime pics at some stage.

Grille - bonnet open

Grille - view from standing

Grille - view front on

Last edited by JC; 04-10-2005 at 12:03 PM.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:54 PM   #15
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Here's a full front on pic of the car - looks a little better now that it's clean, but I will be fitting the AU1 XR bonnet over the weekend.