Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 28-07-2010, 01:09 PM   #1
sleeper393

Question centre facia "lights out"

centre facia has lost all illumination , bar the clock and the radio station display , fuse's or all globes gone at once.it used to come back on after a good wack , but now nothing.

123.4 GROUND TEARING RWKW'S , LOL
sleeper393 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2010, 01:28 PM   #2
T3man
Banned

The hammer is your friend.

It will most likely be the headlight (dash light dimmer) switch. I doubt all the dash lights would go out at once if it were a globe problem.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2010, 01:34 PM   #3
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

what type of car have you got?
XRGhia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2010, 01:35 PM   #4
sleeper393

Question

sweet , so can it be tested , or just get anothery .
Old 28-07-2010, 01:35 PM   #5
sleeper393

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony.martin11
what type of car have you got?
AU SERIES 3 , POVO PACK.
Old 28-07-2010, 01:46 PM   #6
sleeper393

My Instrument Lights All Work, Just Not The Lights On My Vent , Aircon & Radio Controls.
Old 28-07-2010, 01:54 PM   #7
T3man
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeper393
sweet , so can it be tested , or just get anothery .
Try both positions of the dimmer control just to see if it's a problem within it.

An easy test - if you have access to anyone else's car do a headlight switch change and see if it works.

Final action - get a circuit tester and pull the centre dash and check for power to the globes. If so then replace them - if not you have a big job searching for the break in the circuit. If there was a separate fuse for them it would be too easy.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2010, 01:59 PM   #8
sleeper393

Yeah , I Know Nothing Is That That Easy , Tried The Dimmer No Change.
Cheers.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:12 PM   #9
sleeper393

Question

been fiddeling around with the lights on my centre facia again , they have started working again , my question is what makes them go out and then if given a good wack at times they come back on , loose bulbs , wires ????
Old 09-08-2010, 08:04 PM   #10
sleeper393

Question

still haven't worked out why the centre facia lights work after given a good wack , loose wires , bulbs , short somewhere.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:04 PM   #11
AUIIPURSUIT
pursuit ute baby

its most likely a contact point has become loose, and therefor arced... so while it still makes connection, its a "dirty" connection. your best bet would be to remove the center fasci and have a poke around the terminals that are connecting that section.. give anything suspicious a clean/replace if need be.
AUIIPURSUIT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2010, 10:07 PM   #12
sleeper393

sweet thanks for the heads up , thought there had to be something like that , as i tried the headlight switch but that didnt change a thing , so the next was a dirty or loose connection.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:14 PM   #13
AUIIPURSUIT
pursuit ute baby

im not sure on the wiring of the AU, as im yet to have a decent poke around.. but if you cant find anything behind the fascia (which is 90% chance it will be there), then also check the drivers side footwell for loose or damaged cabling, as its a high use area. AUs are also prone to water leaks in the front wells, which is where your wiring routes through. it could be causing shorts...

check the loom at the fascia first though
Old 09-08-2010, 10:22 PM   #14
sleeper393

Thumbs up

yeah its working now but not all of the globes are illuminated , a good wack brought them back to life , although only partially left hand side, no aircon or rear demister illuminated , or radio buttons, and only half the vent controls. [IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

Last edited by sleeper393; 09-08-2010 at 10:35 PM.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:34 PM   #15
AUIIPURSUIT
pursuit ute baby

ill get back to you this weekend when i pull my fascia out buddy.. if you havent already sorted it..
Old 09-08-2010, 10:36 PM   #16
sleeper393

cheers , there is a pic above showing my problem
Old 10-08-2010, 01:59 PM   #17
WannabeXP

I cant help with the circuit side but i replaced my globes behind mine and i could only get them at ford. They are a funny shape or something, and as for the A/c light i got mine from the local holden place, Scary thought i know, the first and only time ive ever been there.
I had a bit of trouble finding them, To my knowledge Narva dont do them.
I wish you luck removing the cd player!
05/2000 AUII XR6 5sp|Pacemaker 4480 Competition Headers|Lukey catback|Tickford Azzuro's|Impco LPG Conversion
WannabeXP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post