Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 02-06-2010, 04:19 PM   #1
sd1800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Front Suspension Thud/knock

I'm getting a thud/knock which I can hear a feel through the floor when turning left or right. It is coming from the front left of the car. If I turn the wheel full lock to full lock at a standstill there is no sound it is fine. Will only do it when moving and there is some weight shift. Particulary noticable low-speed manouvering in car parks etc.

I also noticed if I take a fast brisk right turn at a round-about i can hear it go "thud-thud-thud" as more weight is shifted and then as the wheel returns to centre it will thud three times again as the weight is shifted off.

Anyone had anything similar? Lower Ball joints are fine.

Sick of throwing money at mechanics who do guess work replacing components until they fix it.

Now......
2012 FG MK2 XR6 Turbo
- Manual & Luxury Pack
- 302rwkw

2019 Escape St-Line
sd1800 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2010, 09:00 PM   #2
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

how's the top bushes on your struts? Alternatively, check the wishbone bushes and swaybar bushes.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2010, 12:45 PM   #3
sd1800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushbasher
how's the top bushes on your struts? Alternatively, check the wishbone bushes and swaybar bushes.

Bushbasher
The swaybar D Bushes were changed not long ago so they are fine.

By wishbone do you mean control arm?

Now......
2012 FG MK2 XR6 Turbo
- Manual & Luxury Pack
- 302rwkw

2019 Escape St-Line
Old 03-06-2010, 07:42 PM   #4
adrian k
adrian

I get a knock in my TS50 which sounds just like the knock ones gets when the IRS shock tower mounts are stuffed, is that what yours sounds like? and do the fronts also have a mount that needs replacing when this happens?
T3 TS50 #17 275kW
AU3 XR8 SVP 220kW
adrian k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2010, 08:12 PM   #5
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd1800
The swaybar D Bushes were changed not long ago so they are fine.

By wishbone do you mean control arm?
yup, control arms, sorry, I'm showing my age now. Basically, anything that has a rubber bush and is in the front end, get a pry,jemmy,crow bar and get under the front and start putting some pressure on the pivot points and look for any slop or movement that shouldn't be there.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2010, 01:25 AM   #6
Auturbo6
The only thing u'll see!!

Tighten the front sway bar brackets on the chassis rail (T40 torque bit and 12mm spanner required). Tighten the front crossmember (18mm deep socket required and long lever bar x 4 bolts). Tighten main crossmember ( 18mm deep socket required and long lever bar x 4 bolts ). And last but not least tighten steering rack. ( 2x 18mm nuts) Good luck........
Auturbo6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2010, 06:09 PM   #7
sd1800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian k
I get a knock in my TS50 which sounds just like the knock ones gets when the IRS shock tower mounts are stuffed, is that what yours sounds like? and do the fronts also have a mount that needs replacing when this happens?
I've never had bad rear shock mounts so I'm not sure what that would sound like? It doesn't do it over bumps, will only do it when the weight of the vehicle is shifted from side to side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushbasher
yup, control arms, sorry, I'm showing my age now. Basically, anything that has a rubber bush and is in the front end, get a pry,jemmy,crow bar and get under the front and start putting some pressure on the pivot points and look for any slop or movement that shouldn't be there.

Bushbasher
I would do this but I'm not sure exactly what movement should be there, and what shouldn't? Probably one for the suspension guy if it comes to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auturbo6
Tighten the front sway bar brackets on the chassis rail (T40 torque bit and 12mm spanner required). Tighten the front crossmember (18mm deep socket required and long lever bar x 4 bolts). Tighten main crossmember ( 18mm deep socket required and long lever bar x 4 bolts ). And last but not least tighten steering rack. ( 2x 18mm nuts) Good luck........
This is alot of help. Thank you. I will give it a good going over in the next few weeks.

Now......
2012 FG MK2 XR6 Turbo
- Manual & Luxury Pack
- 302rwkw

2019 Escape St-Line
Old 08-06-2010, 10:34 PM   #8
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

My fairmont had clunks left right and center - bad enough to feel through the floor. Reco rack = no more clunks.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2010, 09:38 AM   #9
colin55

my au had similar problems, ended up being lower control arm bushes...

Cheers

2008 Lexus lx570, silver
colin55 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2010, 12:02 AM   #10
sd1800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auturbo6
And last but not least tighten steering rack. ( 2x 18mm nuts) Good luck........
Auturbo6 FTW!

Was loose rack bolts.....

Now......
2012 FG MK2 XR6 Turbo
- Manual & Luxury Pack
- 302rwkw

2019 Escape St-Line