Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 15-07-2010, 01:58 PM   #1
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Another video game study

but this one says violence in games isnt necessarily bad...

Quote:
This just in: violent video games are actually good for you

Texas A&M International University recently conducted a study in which volunteers were subjected to stress, with some subjects being allowed to play video games afterward. According to the results, the game-playing group reported less stress and depression afterward.

In a conclusion contrary to many recent studies, the research conducted by Texas A&M Associate Professor Christopher Ferguson concluded that violent video games could actually combat anger and depression.

The method of measurement came by subjecting four groups of predominantly Hispanic students to a scientifically-proven stress-inducer called the Paced Auditory Serial Addition Task. Afterward, two groups were given a violent game to play (Hitman: Blood Money or Call of Duty 2), one was given a non-violent game (Madden 2007) and a final group was told they wouldn't be able to play any games due to a malfunction.

While Ferguson concluded that the game-playing groups exhibited less hostility and depression, the professor presented a caveat regarding the conclusion -- that the uniqueness of the control groups could reveal different results with a larger and more diverse pool of subjects. To learn more about the study, check out the source links below. The full study will be found in volume 15 of the "European Psychologist" journal
http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/articl...actually_good/

Old 15-07-2010, 08:51 PM   #2
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Hitman Blood Money isn't all that violent, there are ways to play where you aren't going at it guns blazing.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2010, 12:00 AM   #3
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I will say that for me, computers games might have saved my life.

Domestically I have been subject to abuse physically and psychologically, and I have always found comfort in a good game.

I have played games of strip poker yet I don't just sleep with anybody, I have played Doom II, Duke3D, Blood and Fallout III yet have no desire to shoot anybody, and I love Colin McRae games, yet I don't hoon....

The only people that speak poorly of computer games are people that have never played one.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2010, 06:34 AM   #4
JMO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm still waiting for the R18+ rating. Apparently 98% of in favour (according to 60,000 submissions) is too overwhelming in favour and needs to be looked into further
JMO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2010, 07:41 AM   #5
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

GTA generally relieves my stress, but i don't play games much these days
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2010, 06:31 PM   #6
g220ba
FGX XR8

From what i've been reading lately everyone seems in favour of replacing the current out-dated rating system with an updated one but some groups are still against it. From what i understand it's generally church groups lobbying against it.

You have the ability to see as much if not more violence in movies or on TV but the problem that has been sighted is the ability to act out that violence through the form of gaming.

The sooner certain people realise there are more harmful things in the world to worry about than video games the sooner we can move forward.
g220ba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2010, 10:39 AM   #7
3vXT

The good people at Texas University should have saved their time, the problem isn't an immediate change in behavior after playing video games. The issue is gradually rising levels of overall desensitisation towards violence after decades of use. Obviously movies, tv and countless other things also play a part but its the interactivity people have with games that increase the problem.

Idiots portray this in a "Billy was a good kid until he played GTA yesterday and now he's raped the cat" scenario which is just not accurate. On the other side, people stating that they have played violent games for years and are not violent is just as stupid. The issue is long term, over decades and decades, its not something one person is going to notice in themselves.

I don't think we should ban violent video games but i do think we need a R18 system. Not just so we can get un-neutered games but more importantly to prevent (in theory) people from this interaction when they are still developing.

For the record i'm an adult and i love video games (and i tend to lean towards violent games). I don't believe the problem is immediate enough to ban violent games but i really don't feel comfortable with a system that ends in a M15 rating.
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2010, 03:42 PM   #8
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken2903
The good people at Texas University should have saved their time, the problem isn't an immediate change in behavior after playing video games. The issue is gradually rising levels of overall desensitisation towards violence after decades of use. Obviously movies, tv and countless other things also play a part but its the interactivity people have with games that increase the problem.

Idiots portray this in a "Billy was a good kid until he played GTA yesterday and now he's raped the cat" scenario which is just not accurate. On the other side, people stating that they have played violent games for years and are not violent is just as stupid. The issue is long term, over decades and decades, its not something one person is going to notice in themselves.

I don't think we should ban violent video games but i do think we need a R18 system. Not just so we can get un-neutered games but more importantly to prevent (in theory) people from this interaction when they are still developing.

For the record i'm an adult and i love video games (and i tend to lean towards violent games). I don't believe the problem is immediate enough to ban violent games but i really don't feel comfortable with a system that ends in a M15 rating.
Totally agree. Although it's not always over generations. Look at how the US military trains their troops!
Holden made the decision to make thier utes for pretty boys years ago. Wannabe tradesman drive them. If my son came home and told me he bought a holden ute I would struggle to come to grips with the fact he is a homosexual.
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post