Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 18-06-2010, 08:32 PM   #61
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Cool, your emergency fit out is different to our then because we do not have foot switches.

I am not sure about the speed rating of the tyres, I think it may be higher than 140 as the vehicles are physically capable of doing more than 140 and it is against australian standars to fit tyres that cannot tolerate the highest speed the vehicle is capable of, perhaps this is different for commercial vehicles.

I will have to have a look at the side wall but I imagine the Continentals that come fitted to the Mercedes Sprinter 319 are rated higher than 140. Can't imagine a German manufacturer (even though they are actually made in Korea, they are sold in Germany), fitting German tyres to a vehicle that could not tolerate the maximum speed of the vehicle on an autobahn.
Old 18-06-2010, 11:41 PM   #62
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Just did some research, the tyres that are fitted to our 319's are rated to 210 km/h, no a sprinter will not do that.
Old 20-06-2010, 09:15 PM   #63
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

For you Gecko, how it should play out when on route to a callout, Germany:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOJ9d...eature=related
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2010, 09:29 PM   #64
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
incredible!

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2010, 02:27 PM   #65
Halfmo Rocks
Bearded Hermit

that was amazing, and how far ahead people were pulling over, every one pulled to the shoulder
Halfmo Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2010, 07:10 PM   #66
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
For you Gecko, how it should play out when on route to a callout, Germany:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOJ9d...eature=related
It is nothing like that for us. We have truck drivers that do not use their side mirrors and do not see us for 2 km while we are sitting offset behind them trying to get their attention.

We have people that approach red lights with us behind them but instead of slowing and pulling over, they keep going and then block up with the other cars leaving us with nowhere to go.

We have people that will not get out of the right lane because they wish to turn right 1 km down the road.

We have people that hear a siren and jam on the brakes in the middle of the lane rather than pull over (in areas of certain ethnic groups all three lanes will do this at once).

We have people that see an emergency vehicle trying to pull into an intersection but keep going anyway and will not let us out, time is precious to them.

And my favourite, we have people that can see us behind them (we can see them looking in the rear view mirror or they often touch the brake when they first notice us). But instead of pulling over and letting us through without delay, they stay in the lane until we are right behind them and have to slow down, then they try to pull over (normally on a bridge by this time).

Good news to all those people that are guilty of these actions, you are costing lives (I just hope it is not your family or friends), sleep well!!!
Old 21-06-2010, 08:25 PM   #67
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Rocks
that was amazing, and how far ahead people were pulling over, every one pulled to the shoulder
I wonder if they have something that brodcasts on people's radios within say 500M?

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
Good news to all those people that are guilty of these actions, you are costing lives (I just hope it is not your family or friends), sleep well!!!
Gecko - I have a solution for you. Take it to work and see what they say; gte it pushed up the chain of command, right to the transport ministers. i reckon they'll love it, because not only will it help to save lives 9in the long run), but it's a revenue raiser too.

Anyway, here it is.
Every state now has number plate recognition software used by police to detect unregistered cars, unlicensed drivers etc (at least Vic and ACT do).
Fit every emergency vehicle with a camera and a Hard drive/recorder.
When you turn on the lights and/or sirens, the camera starts recording.
Every vehicle that you come across that impede your progress, you press a steering wheel mounted button and it marks the recording.
Back at the base, someone is paid to review the day's "marks" and emails the snapshots to the police, who issue a traffic infringement notice to the vehicle's registered owner.
The payment is then required to be made by the owner, or by the owner-identified driver (same system as speed cameras).
Appropriate points allso should be issued.

So we've had speed cameras for a while, now we have the new "impede cameras". I give this to you as a gift to the community!
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2010, 08:33 PM   #68
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
I wonder if they have something that brodcasts on people's radios within say 500M?

Gecko - I have a solution for you. Take it to work and see what they say; gte it pushed up the chain of command, right to the transport ministers. i reckon they'll love it, because not only will it help to save lives 9in the long run), but it's a revenue raiser too.

Anyway, here it is.
Every state now has number plate recognition software used by police to detect unregistered cars, unlicensed drivers etc (at least Vic and ACT do).
Fit every emergency vehicle with a camera and a Hard drive/recorder.
When you turn on the lights and/or sirens, the camera starts recording.
Every vehicle that you come across that impede your progress, you press a steering wheel mounted button and it marks the recording.
Back at the base, someone is paid to review the day's "marks" and emails the snapshots to the police, who issue a traffic infringement notice to the vehicle's registered owner.
The payment is then required to be made by the owner, or by the owner-identified driver (same system as speed cameras).
Appropriate points allso should be issued.

So we've had speed cameras for a while, now we have the new "impede cameras". I give this to you as a gift to the community!
I wish your idea was my reality. If only the government could see the money in this.
Old 21-06-2010, 10:04 PM   #69
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
I wish your idea was my reality. If only the government could see the money in this.
Try presenting it and see what happens. Call it an "innovation proposal" - innovation being the new buzz word these days!
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2010, 01:36 PM   #70
Halfmo Rocks
Bearded Hermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
i know they have a system like that in some tunnels to warn about accidents, be a good idea if it could be mobile for emergency vehicles...wouldn't help for cd players though...i know i never listen to the radio in the car, unless the cricket's on
Halfmo Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2010, 02:05 PM   #71
gocruzin
Ford tragic

I like JC's idea hit the bastards in the pocket right where it hurts, it would be about time we got some fines that are usefull, as opposed to setting up speed cameras on bends and bushes to rase revenue for te gov't.
You could make the fines payable to the emergency services direct. After a short period you'd have more funding than you could spend.

Just thinking though after some time certain people (idiots) would do stupid things to get out of the way just to not get fined and more accidents would result.

Last edited by gocruzin; 22-06-2010 at 02:08 PM. Reason: thought
gocruzin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2010, 12:10 AM   #72
SDKC
To punish and enslave

Quote:
Below quote from the Queensland Road Rules (they apply Australia wide though).

Quote:
78 Keeping clear of police and emergency vehicles
(1) A driver must not move into the path of an approaching police
or emergency vehicle that is displaying a flashing blue or red
light (whether or not it is also displaying other lights) or
sounding an alarm.
Maximum penalty—20 penalty units.
(2) If a driver is in the path of an approaching police or
emergency vehicle that is displaying a flashing blue or red
light (whether or not it is also displaying other lights) or
sounding an alarm, the driver must move out of the path of the
vehicle as soon as the driver can do so safely.
(3) This section applies to the driver despite any other section of
this regulation.
79 Giving way to police and emergency vehicles
(1) A driver must give way to a police or emergency vehicle that
is displaying a flashing blue or red light (whether or not it is
also displaying other lights) or sounding an alarm.
(2) This section applies to the driver despite any other section that
would otherwise require the driver of a police or emergency
vehicle to give way to the driver.
Seems like reality to me.
SDKC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2010, 04:08 AM   #73
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

It really is amazing how people act when there is an emergency vehicle in the vicinity. I sit in traffic in Sydney a fair bit ... and i cringe when i see what people do. Some people do stupid things that literally cause accidents.

And then there was one last night as well ... I noticed a Fire truck further behind ... I moved out of the way to let them pass (as those things need to keep momentum up due to the weight they carry). The "motorist" that was infront of me kept in their lane (even after i double flashed quickly to give warning as I moved over to stop).

The firetruck literally had to tailgate the car for them to realise to get out of the way ... now they had their air horns going as well as their sirens. I really could not believe that they were so ignorant.

I am all for the camera idea in emergency vehicles being able to be used in as court for "obstruction" cases ... unfortunately its one of those things that will be too hard to be policed.

I'd hate to be either and ambo or firie in the Sydney metro area ... getting to the scene is more than half the battle ... especially when traffic is bad (well ... it's always bad in Sydney)
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2010, 11:12 AM   #74
scoupedy

So Many People Don't Have A Clue And Dont Care
scoupedy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2010, 11:28 AM   #75
Spudz27
Call me Spud

The other day we attended a car on its roof. Cops were blocking one lane going north, we were blocking one lane going south. Do you think anybody slowed down at all? Not a chance, everyone kept driving past at 60kp/h. Then I watched as one idiot almost rear ended the cop car. People really are morons.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post