Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 28-06-2010, 03:00 AM   #1
andrew81
Starter Motor

Default LS zetec stereo upgrade?

I've had the car 2 weeks and the stock stereo certainly isn't a quality sound. Even my sisters 06 corolla is much better.

I'd throw a new head unit in but don't want to be left with steering controls that don't work. I've searched and seems can connect the controls but $250 is a bit much. That would make it about $350 in parts + the head unit.

Has anyone tried running new speakers from the stock head unit and is it a worthwhile improvement?

Are there better stock head units in other models that will fight straight in and connect up to the steering wheel controls?

andrew81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2010, 09:26 AM   #2
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew81
I've had the car 2 weeks and the stock stereo certainly isn't a quality sound. Even my sisters 06 corolla is much better.

I'd throw a new head unit in but don't want to be left with steering controls that don't work. I've searched and seems can connect the controls but $250 is a bit much. That would make it about $350 in parts + the head unit.

Has anyone tried running new speakers from the stock head unit and is it a worthwhile improvement?

Are there better stock head units in other models that will fight straight in and connect up to the steering wheel controls?
Most audiophiles recommend to replace the speakers first, you will definitely notice an improvement in sound quality without changing the headunit. Some decent splits in the front would be a good start, then maybe an amp if the budget allows.

The Sony unit in the XR5 is meant to be a decent oem unit that will slot right in, although there are plenty of aftermarket units out there that would be better again and cost similar money to what people are fobbing off secondhand Sony units on ebay. The cost of all the adapters/etc depends on the unit you're fitting, you should be able to find all the stuff you need for some units for well under $350.
Lower airbox removed, K&N Panel filter
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles
JVC KW-XR816 Headunit + more to come...

#Russ#Es# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2010, 10:48 AM   #3
warren77

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Russ#Es#
Most audiophiles recommend to replace the speakers first, you will definitely notice an improvement in sound quality without changing the headunit. Some decent splits in the front would be a good start, then maybe an amp if the budget allows.

The Sony unit in the XR5 is meant to be a decent oem unit that will slot right in, although there are plenty of aftermarket units out there that would be better again and cost similar money to what people are fobbing off secondhand Sony units on ebay. The cost of all the adapters/etc depends on the unit you're fitting, you should be able to find all the stuff you need for some units for well under $350.
I can not comment on the base stereo.
However, the Sony stereo is average. Yes it is slot in and will retain steering wheel controls.

It is a tad slow reading MP3 CDs, older models do not support ipod, and has no line out for amps. I also believe it is not a true Sony but a re-badged product.

I think that what really lets the Sony down first is the speakers - replacing them first would see some amazing improvements, as well as some sound deadening in the doors.
warren77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2010, 03:19 PM   #4
andrew81
Starter Motor

Thanks for the info guys. I've seen the sony units on ebay but they seem a bit over priced.

I think as suggested i might just start with the front speakers and see how that goes.

I see there are adapter plates available to fit the speakers. Will most 6 and 6.5 inch splits fit in the doors without any other modification? I'd like to keep it original, stock speaker covers etc.
Old 28-06-2010, 03:51 PM   #5
warren77

Sorry Andrew.
I have a Mondeo (which has the same head unit) and not a Focus.

Perhaps look at some of the OS forums?
I believe that Ford UK sells Pioneer speakers as straight fit in option.

Personally, I would be taking the covers off, and having a look.
Then finding a good quality speaker in the right size, within your budget and then making my own mdf cut out for them.

Or just pay someone to do it for you
Old 29-06-2010, 06:16 PM   #6
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 

Quote:
Thanks for the info guys. I've seen the sony units on ebay but they seem a bit over priced.

I think as suggested i might just start with the front speakers and see how that goes.

I see there are adapter plates available to fit the speakers. Will most 6 and 6.5 inch splits fit in the doors without any other modification? I'd like to keep it original, stock speaker covers etc.
Other than making them out of MDF, plastic speaker adapters are your only option. Found these today: http://www.nexxia.co.uk/product.asp?...on=CAR%20AUDIO

Pretty sure they are for our model Focus. They have ones for the rear speakers too.
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles

Old 29-06-2010, 06:29 PM   #7
warren77

Russ: good find.

The reason I like the MDFs ones are you can make them in whatever thickness you need. It also gives you a really good base to screw the speakers down to.

One other thing I would do - regardless of which spacer you use - is to get some no more gaps (or similar) and seal around the spacer.
You will be very surprised at how much better this makes the speakers sound.
Old 29-06-2010, 06:54 PM   #8
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren77
Russ: good find.

The reason I like the MDFs ones are you can make them in whatever thickness you need. It also gives you a really good base to screw the speakers down to.

One other thing I would do - regardless of which spacer you use - is to get some no more gaps (or similar) and seal around the spacer.
You will be very surprised at how much better this makes the speakers sound.
I was thinking along the same lines. No matter how tightly you screw the new speakers onto the adapter, you still have plastic against metal...not a great seal.

Agree, MDF is a better option, you can mold it to a perfect shape for each application. Unfortunately a little hard for some to get access to some of the basic tools (plus have the room) to tinker, unlike the easy plastic screw in plastic adapter.

Old 29-06-2010, 07:08 PM   #9
warren77

Russ. Yes - having the tools to do the right job can be an issue.
Some stereo stores will cut you up some MDFs spacers if they are not busy.
Might charge you $25 for them but still worth it.

My view - if you are going to spend decent money on speakers, then you have to make sure the install is also decent.

In my previous Liberty, I paid $350 for a set of front splits.
It cost me another $100 (approx) plus a few hours to do the install.
MDF
Using decent quality wire.
No more gaps
Sound deadner
Quality screws

But the end result was nice.
I am over doing that these days.
Happy with the stock Mondeo stereo.
Old 30-06-2010, 04:31 AM   #10
andrew81
Starter Motor

Making mdf spacers etc isn't an issue. I've made them before and custom sub boxes for my cars years ago.

When i wrote the original post i thought the speakers were oval now i believe they are 6.5 inch front and rear. I haven't taken the trims off to have a look yet, I was hoping a few people here had upgraded and would save me having to pull everything apart to measure up. (lazy i know :P)

Warren I understand being over it. I originally thought about upgrading the whole system- head unit, amp, splits, sub. I'm now thinking just front speakers maybe something like these http://www.ryda.com.au/Clarion-SRQ16...p/srq1620s.htm

I'm thinking a total budget of $200. I don't think the standard head unit will do justice for higher end speakers. I figure any decent brand speaker should be better than the stock ones. In a previous car I've had $80 kenwood 2 way 6inch that sounded a lot better than the focus.
Old 30-06-2010, 08:57 AM   #11
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Quote:
Making mdf spacers etc isn't an issue. I've made them before and custom sub boxes for my cars years ago.

When i wrote the original post i thought the speakers were oval now i believe they are 6.5 inch front and rear. I haven't taken the trims off to have a look yet, I was hoping a few people here had upgraded and would save me having to pull everything apart to measure up. (lazy i know :P)

Warren I understand being over it. I originally thought about upgrading the whole system- head unit, amp, splits, sub. I'm now thinking just front speakers maybe something like these http://www.ryda.com.au/Clarion-SRQ16...p/srq1620s.htm

I'm thinking a total budget of $200. I don't think the standard head unit will do justice for higher end speakers. I figure any decent brand speaker should be better than the stock ones. In a previous car I've had $80 kenwood 2 way 6inch that sounded a lot better than the focus.
Sorry, to answer your initial question, speakers are 6.5 inch front and rear.

Those Clarions look good, relatively efficient to run off the stock headunit.

Who knows, you may just get the bug and do the whole system after you upgrade the fronts.

Old 30-06-2010, 01:42 PM   #12
warren77

Who knows...I may get bored one day and decide to do the front splits, with a higher quality.

But until then, the stock stereo is staying!
Old 01-07-2010, 10:27 PM   #13
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren77
Who knows...I may get bored one day and decide to do the front splits, with a higher quality.

But until then, the stock stereo is staying!
If you weren't over in Perth, I'd offer the use of a set of removal keys JUST IN CASE they were ever needed

Old 02-07-2010, 11:35 AM   #14
entheos

A couple of guys have put Focals in their Focus's...along with Dynamat in the doors and they have found that to be very very vast improvement on the stock speakers.

I personally don't spend alot of time listen to the stereo in my car anymore since putting on a full 3" TBE by Hitech...i'd much rather listen to the "stereo" (dual tips) effect of the 5 pot of my XR5. ;) but when I do, I don't mind the [rebadged] sony headunit and speakers...they do the job for me at the moment.
entheos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2010, 12:21 PM   #15
warren77

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Russ#Es#
If you weren't over in Perth, I'd offer the use of a set of removal keys JUST IN CASE they were ever needed
The mondeo you don't need the removal keys
Takes you about 40 minutes to remove the dash (well the first time as you take your time) and then you have four screws holding it in

Would be pretty sure that it would be standard for all the Sony upgraded units wouldn't it?