Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 12-04-2010, 05:50 PM   #1
redimon
Starter Motor

Default Stereos, iphones & wiring

Here's the deal.

I've recently bought an iPhone and a TomTom hands free kit. I own a fairly stock '99 AU Futura. I've attached the hands free holder to the removable Falcon badge on the upper centre console and have run all the wires through the back of the console to the cigarette lighter. I've also attached a FM transmitter so I can play music through the stereo. Cheap/dodgy option and it works but obviously not my preferred method.

I've spoken with the local Ford dealership and asked about a later model stereo with aux inputs so I can dump the dodgy FM transmitter but they tell me that the latter model stereos aren't compatible and would be prohibitively expensive to buy and fit. I don't want to fit some gaudy and pretentious aftermarket stereo. I’d prefer something that matches the elegant interior lines and colour of the AU.

Also, I want to take power off somewhere behind the dash to power the hands free unit.

I absolutely love my AU and don’t wish to make any overt modifications to the car, ie I don’t want to cut holes in the dash or do anything to significantly change the interior.

So, has anyone out there attempted to do something similar (don't want to re-invent the wheel)? Any ideas on a subdued aftermarket stereo that fits the stock stereo rack? There are a number of unused leads in the wiring loom behind the console. Any suggestions on which would supply 12V with accessories/ignition on? I am a mechanic and I have all the manuals but as I said, I don't want to re-invent the wheel if someone else has replaced the stereo or tapped power or both.

Cheers

redimon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2010, 06:40 PM   #2
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 

Hi Some AU fords had handsfree wiring but none had aux input. nowdays you can use almost any single din unit you can find with the features that you want or need and fit it using a pocket from DNA or aerpro and alough both online cataouges just list pockets for the AU there is a new pocket that has a full surround that just lets the nose of the head unit poke through (expensive though) Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

2003 ACID RUSH BA FUTURA WAGON

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
foxtrot3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2010, 07:00 PM   #3
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrot3
....alough both online cataouges just list pockets for the AU there is a new pocket that has a full surround that just lets the nose of the head unit poke through (expensive though) Cheers MD
$35 compared to $25 - not that expensive!
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2010, 07:44 PM   #4
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Welcome to the forums

There's not much you can do with the stock head unit so inevitably you'll be drawn to an aftermarket unit. If you are just looking at a head unit there are many options. Have a look here for something that you like the look of:- http://www.ryda.com.au/Car-Audio-s/1.htm

There are aftermarket harnesses available that allow you to plug into the stock Ford wiring and from there to your preferred aftermarket head unit.

If you look through the builds section or search for aftermarket head units you'll find most of the answers you're looking for.
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2010, 08:25 PM   #5
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
$35 compared to $25 - not that expensive!
Hi The price I saw was more like $75 at $35 its good. Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
Old 12-04-2010, 08:36 PM   #6
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi And in this post $90 http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11289088 and now the pocket http://www.aerpro.com.au/list.php?pc...Black&cat_sno= Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

Old 12-04-2010, 09:18 PM   #7
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it's $35 from autobarn
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2010, 09:43 PM   #8
redimon
Starter Motor

Thanks guys. There's some great info there that I'll be looking into over the weekend. I did see a similar mounting unit at Repco last Sunday but it was for a Commodore.

Since posting I've researched a bit more and I noticed a couple of threads about the mobile phone harness under the dash. Anyone actually tried fitting a hands free kit with the stock mobile harness?

Thanks again.

Cheers,

Red
redimon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2010, 10:11 PM   #9
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi Depending on build date and head unit some had a phone input . look for a set of plugs above your left foot or under the consule with one wire being light green-this is a mute wire and trigering it with a test light should mute the radio, if you find it there will be power wires and speaker (mono) input wires as well. Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

Old 13-04-2010, 10:14 AM   #10
redimon
Starter Motor

I've just had a look at a Audiovox FMM100 FM Modulator as a simple option. Cheap and doesn't look like a lot of work to fit. It would also mean I wouldn't need to change out the head unit.

I also seem to have Futura on the brain. I actually own a Forte. :togo:
Old 15-04-2010, 10:49 PM   #11
Ride
Stay Classy ™

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrot3
Hi Depending on build date and head unit some had a phone input . look for a set of plugs above your left foot or under the consule with one wire being light green-this is a mute wire and trigering it with a test light should mute the radio, if you find it there will be power wires and speaker (mono) input wires as well. Cheers MD
From memory only high series got it (Fairmont/Ghia/Fairlane/T Series).
Ride is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2010, 11:13 PM   #12
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi Don't know about that but years ago was told the same and told to buy the phone harness and when we pulled out the head unit it was already in and that was only a base model refrigerator. Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

Old 16-04-2010, 08:49 AM   #13
redimon
Starter Motor

There is a phone input but from what I can tell, if I could still get the harness they cost a couple of hundred $. A bit rich for a limited capability I reckon. As always though, happy to be educated & corrected.