Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 31-03-2010, 12:18 AM   #1
Pepi69
PEPI69

Default Electrical weird situation

Hello
I recently changed blown indicater and stop light globes in rear of my auto au2 six.
All indicaters and stop lights etc work as they should

1-When I apply the brakes and pedal is applied my dash lights/parkers also come on at the same time (does this all the time when brakes applied)
2-When I turn my head lights on, rear tail lights glow as if I am braking.
3-When about to start the car and turn my parkers on first with foot on the brake - all dash electrics illuminate and I can hear my fuel pump priming itself before I have even put key into the barrel(should only do this when you turn the key to ignition)
4-When I come to my destination and it's night - once i apply brakes and keep applied, i turn the key to off and pull key out of the ignition entirely - my car is still running?????? Switches off when I take my foot of the brake.

Car drives as it always does and auto shifts as it always does - Just the 4 points listed since a simple globe change...

Have I shorted something out??? I did have to change a fuse for the tail lights - and all correct fuse/amps are all as they should be in fuse box - couldthere be a problem with a relay????

Old 31-03-2010, 12:29 AM   #2
AMB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always has a helpful answer in the technical sections, wether it's giving information on a simple diagnosis with a small issue, Helping someone fix their car if they are stuck on removing/installing something, or just need information on what works how. 

First thing to try is pull that new fuse out and see if the problem goes away.
AMB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2010, 02:06 AM   #3
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you definitely put stop and tail globes in the brake lights? sounds like there's major wiring problems. i have a feeling you may have either a buggered tail/brake light socket or the wrong globe in there. it seems like it's touching both pins, thus creating some sort of short circuit. pull the brake globes out again and try it without them, if the problem is gone i'd say the globes are either wrong, buggered, or a buggered socket.
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2010, 12:20 PM   #4
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Easy fix, the stop light bulb is stuffed, one of the filaments is touching the other, creating a short. Replace the bulb and problem solved.
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2010, 03:27 PM   #5
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 

Hi Or you have a turn signal globe in the stop/tail globe socket. Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

2003 ACID RUSH BA FUTURA WAGON

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
foxtrot3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2010, 06:51 PM   #6
AMB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always has a helpful answer in the technical sections, wether it's giving information on a simple diagnosis with a small issue, Helping someone fix their car if they are stuck on removing/installing something, or just need information on what works how. 

The tail/stop bulbs have offset lugs, so that they can only go in one way and you can't fit a signal bulb in that socket. Pepi said that "All indicaters and stop lights etc work as they should" so I assume that there is nothing wrong with the new bulbs. But worth checking the filaments to see if they really are ok. I reckon one of the sockets will be full of crap/corroded, and there will be a high resistance short.
AMB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2010, 07:39 PM   #7
DW260

Wow that is strange? What sort of globe did you out in? An OEM tungsten filament or LED?

I've seen peculiar things happen when LED' go in.
FPV GS Ute #370/Brembo brakes
DW260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2010, 08:58 PM   #8
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Well mine did the same thing, changed the right side brake bulb, went for a drive and discovered the same thing as described by the OP.

After checking fuses and the earths - finding no fault, i checked the bulb i replaced, and lo and behold one of the filaments had one end come loose and is making contact with the one under it.
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2010, 09:39 PM   #9
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 

Hi Having worked in the automotive industry since the 70's I have seen almost any type of globe jammed into almost any socket but one problem that has happened over the last few years is the plastic sockets that are used on most car now is with the heat of the globe the split and crack and it is so easy to insert the wrong globe with no effort at all. Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

2003 ACID RUSH BA FUTURA WAGON

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
foxtrot3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post