Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 25-03-2010, 09:39 AM   #1
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Bleeding/replacing brake fluid

Hi,
My brake fluid is really dirty and the brakes are still working but require a lot more travel to get them to bite, the pads and rotors are still good, had them done 6 months ago so I reckon its just the fluid has got old and crappy

Can I just suck out the fluid in the master cylinder, and replace it with new stuff? Or do I actually have to bleed the whole system? If I sucked it out and put new stuff in, will I get any air bubbles in the lines? Dont know anything about them really.

Also, is there a special type of fluid I need? Or will any from supercheap be ok?

Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2010, 09:53 AM   #2
Kryton

You cant just suck the fluid out of the reservior, if you do, you could get air in the lines and the fluid will still be dirty in the lines too.

there is a specified brake fluid for your car, its either DOT 3 or DOT 4 - google will tell you which one.
To bleed the brakes for a fluid flush, you start at the Passenger side REAR caliper and bleed that until new clear fluid is expelled.
Keep an eye on the reservior and keep it topped up.
You can let the reservior run down to near the minimum mark, but dont let it go beyond that.

To flush the system you need to follow a certain process, i cant remember which caliper you need to do after the passenger rear but google will again tell you the correct process -it is usually the longest lines first, working your way down to the shortest line.

If you dont know how to bleed brakes - google again.
Its a lot easier with 2 people but it can be done with 1 person (use 2 people).

Also, use the correct size spanner/socket on the nipple.
Do NOT use an adjustable spanner and do NOT force the nipple - you WILL either round it or break it.
If your having trouble undoing it for the first time, either give it some spray or try and do it up a little bit tighter, just to break the seal.

heres an 'E-How to':

http://www.ehow.com/how_2111457_chan...ake-fluid.html
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2010, 10:07 AM   #3
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Stuff that. Just called a brake shop near my house, they flush it, bleed it and put new fluid in for $45, considering fluid is gonna cost me $20 and a brake line spanner another $20 and $1000 when I break something due to my incompetence and have to get it fixed by a mechanic, I think Ill just pay to have someone else do it. Bargain. $45, I was expecting $200+.
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2010, 11:34 AM   #4
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

there are a few DIY home made pressure bleeders which make doing it by yourself easy. But as you said pretty cheap i got mine done for $30
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2010, 01:43 PM   #5
ThePistonHead
Shame Holden, Shame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVO_XR
Stuff that. Just called a brake shop near my house, they flush it, bleed it and put new fluid in for $45, considering fluid is gonna cost me $20 and a brake line spanner another $20 and $1000 when I break something due to my incompetence and have to get it fixed by a mechanic, I think Ill just pay to have someone else do it. Bargain. $45, I was expecting $200+.
Tell the bloke you have someone else interested if he does both of ours for $80, so we pay $40 each.

EFII "XR8" Fairmont V8 185KW ELII XR8 engine, box & exhaust|Dual Fuel|Tints|FTR's|Factory bodykit |K&N panel filter|Interior LED Conversion|Leather steering wheel|Slotted rotors|Ghia wood + chrome|Subwoofer|

METALLICA
ThePistonHead is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post