Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 05-01-2010, 02:37 PM   #1
BuckTooth
Feel the boost

Default Beefing up the XR8

Hey guys,

I'm lookin at building my falcon up a little bit. Its already the 220kw engine, and has a k&n filter. It has aftermarket headers and a single 2.5" system.

I've been thinking that just to stir it a little it would b nice for a flash tune, a twin 2.25 or 2.5" zorst and a stall convertor. As i have been told there isn't much ya can do to the intake side of things. I have also been told that i can't get to high of a stally due to it only doing 1800RPM @ 100km/h. About a 2000/2500 apparently.

Has anybody here had experince with changing any of these things and if so, care to share your experienes and opinions.

Cheers Doug

Old 05-01-2010, 02:51 PM   #2
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Probably going to be flamed for this, but unless you do a lot of racing down the 1/4, I dont really see the point of a high stall converter in a road car. Twin 2.5 inch and a flash tune will be the way to go. Do the exhaust first then get the car dyno tuned.
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2010, 03:23 PM   #3
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckTooth
Hey guys,

I'm lookin at building my falcon up a little bit. Its already the 220kw engine, and has a k&n filter. It has aftermarket headers and a single 2.5" system.

I've been thinking that just to stir it a little it would b nice for a flash tune, a twin 2.25 or 2.5" zorst and a stall convertor. As i have been told there isn't much ya can do to the intake side of things. I have also been told that i can't get to high of a stally due to it only doing 1800RPM @ 100km/h. About a 2000/2500 apparently.

Has anybody here had experince with changing any of these things and if so, care to share your experienes and opinions.

Cheers Doug
Flash tune, Zorst, and a Cold air intake ( dont no who said theres nothing to begained there : ) you would expect up to 30 to 40 rwk over stock ,
would pass on the stally unles you want to come play :

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2010, 07:11 PM   #4
BuckTooth
Feel the boost

I should add that i plan to use the car for occasional track days and drag days with the ford forums or au falcon group. So if these items would help with making the car trck ready, but also daily drivable would be great.
Old 05-01-2010, 07:15 PM   #5
5L
[ 5L ]

id say with a flash tune and exhaust you would be looking at around 20-30rwkw increase.
if you add the stally the rear wheel power figure would probably sap a bit of power, but make up time on the 1/4.
[ 5L ] 2001 AU series 2 xr8, 220kw, 5speed, leather interior, premium sound, narooma blue, cat back exhaust, k&n filter,willall edit,MSD coil packs, MSD leads, monroe gt gas shocks, superlow kingsprings 187rwkw (mainline)

www.ignitionimages.com
5L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2010, 07:15 PM   #6
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVO_XR
Probably going to be flamed for this, but unless you do a lot of racing down the 1/4, I dont really see the point of a high stall converter in a road car. Twin 2.5 inch and a flash tune will be the way to go. Do the exhaust first then get the car dyno tuned.
Agreed. I don't have a stally in mine either and I don't plan on getting one.

A good CAI, making sure you use the best ignition products you can afford and that they are in good condition, a twin 2.25" or 2.5" exhaust with quality mufflers and cats plus a tune by someone who knows what they are doing with AU's will net you some good power.

From there there are intakes, heads, the list goes on forever.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2010, 08:56 PM   #7
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Disregard double post
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2010, 08:59 PM   #8
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Hey mate your in the same boat as me pretty much but I've done the tune and exhaust. You may want to think about diff gears. Im getting mine done on Thursday and i'll let you know how it turns out.

I was also considering a 3000 rpm stall but dont know yet as they heat up the fluid a bit too which means an extra cooler will be needed. I think the standard stall is already around 2000/2200rpm.
And you dont have to worry about stall speeds at 100km/h because the lock up clutch will take care of things there.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2010, 06:25 PM   #9
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Definitely only needs a dual 2.25 exhaust, dual 2.5 is too big for these unless you're making well over 400hp.
What headers do you have, as tri-y's are much better than 4-1's for any kind of road use and most lazy track use (by lazy I mean anything less than 500-600hp).
Cold air intakes are a waste of money as the standard ones a pretty decent up to probably the same power figure mentioned above.
Some kind of ECU tune.
And diff ratio to 3.7 or 3.9.
I also wouldn't touch the converter.