Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 30-08-2005, 02:05 PM   #1
XRated
Shoot.

Default Changing rotors and bearings

I changed my brake pads the other day (thanks EFFalcon & Karl for the tips). I'm using the new Bendix CT pads on my front slotted rotors - you don't even need to bed these pads in It's a pity they don't bite hard like the Bendix Ultimates I had on, but I think they warped my rotors slightly and caused too much dust anyway..

Anyway, how do you get the front rotors off? The backs are as simple as one phillips head screw.. And what's the deal with bearings? Are they hard to replace - are special tools need etc??

Cheers

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2005, 02:09 PM   #2
stockstandard
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

IIRC - take the center cap off, remove the split pins and crown nut and the rotor pretty much falls out.
stockstandard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2005, 02:09 PM   #3
old_mate
Smash the Boost

nah dude, once you take the dust cover off the hub, take out the split pin, undo the retaining nut and pull the bearing out, you will see how it all works. Its a piece of **** really. Just make sure the races go in properly on the new disks and you pack the bearings with grease properly.

Funny how u said the rears were easy, i couldnt get those screws out on my car.

1971 Fairmont Sedan

1974 SWB F100

Keyboard Warrior - A Person who, being unable to express his anger through physical violence (owning to their physical weakness, lack of bravery and/or conviction in real life), instead manifests said emotions through the text-based medium of the internet, usually in the form of aggressive writing that the Keyboard Warrior would not (for reasons previously mentioned) be able to give form to in real life.
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2005, 03:56 PM   #4
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

The most important thing to do is pack the bearing properly with grease, and applying the correct pre-load to the bearing (very important).

Rick.
Old 30-08-2005, 04:10 PM   #5
ned
Once shy... twice bitten

Exactly what Sox has said, packing the bearings properly with grease is crucial. If your still unsure I'll take a scan of the Gregory's manual and send them to ya tonight. PM me with your email address if you're interested.
Old 30-08-2005, 06:15 PM   #6
BoZZa17
Lovin the Manual.

on the rears i bought a huge screwdriver for like 15bux and it gets them ty scews out that always get stuck!! muhahahah
BoZZa17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2005, 06:22 PM   #7
old_mate
Smash the Boost

I had to use a impact driver and a few bits before mine decided to play the game

1971 Fairmont Sedan

1974 SWB F100

Keyboard Warrior - A Person who, being unable to express his anger through physical violence (owning to their physical weakness, lack of bravery and/or conviction in real life), instead manifests said emotions through the text-based medium of the internet, usually in the form of aggressive writing that the Keyboard Warrior would not (for reasons previously mentioned) be able to give form to in real life.
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2005, 08:40 PM   #8
superloweb
Fairmont6

undo the to callip-er retaining bolts i think ones a 12 and ones a 13 depending on model. remove caliper and pads and push pistons back. pull off the beariong cap, nok out the split pin and unto the castle nut. pull the rotor off make sure u hold the bearing so it does fall out. once removed it will expose the rear bearing wich just slide off. clean all the components well, make sure the old grease is removed from the bearing, soaking in good ol petrol works well when its all clean inspect for scorch marks or wear marks, if any of these are visible they need replacing. other wise repack the bearings with High Temp Bearing grease, make sure they packed correctly. light film of grease on the bearing cone and the stub axle is a good idea. too much grease will just melt and be no use. put all back together and correctly preload the bearing. i taught when i started my app to use a 12" cresent for this. tighten the nut right up tight. spin the rotor coupla times then back the nut off spin it again, then to preload the bearing just us the weight of the cresent to do the nut up and thats about right. put split pin back in a bearing cap and thats it done peice of ****, email me if u need to know how to replace bearing and cones
superloweb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2005, 09:08 AM   #9
Kenaz
Donating Member
Donating Member1

It's a pretty easy job. I found Timmeh's guide really helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Nov 02
It's suave, more subtle, and yet no less stirring. In fact, the boosted Ford is more polished than any big sedan Australia has ever produced. It's just so damn good, it makes the SS feel crude... Ignore the WRX. Forget the E49. Falcon XR6 Turbo is king.
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2005, 03:10 PM   #10
XRated
Shoot.

Cheers guys, it sounds pretty straightforward. I might do it the next time the pads need changing.. I have used my current ones for only a couple of hundred kms, so if I was to go and get the discs machined, wouldn't I have to get new pads??

Does anyone know how much the rear calliper tool goes for (not a universal one)?

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post