Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 31-08-2005, 10:43 AM   #31
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by seano14
I am not sure how to view this; trying to take your own life is one of the most selfish things you can do. No consideration regarding the impact of it on his loved ones, namely his wife and his children - though i do notice quite a pattern here.. drinking then doing incredibly stupid things, perhaps rehab is a better alternative. I am not sure if I am too harsh or not, but my $0.02.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bindi
Yes I agree that suicide is selfish (flame me if you will). Everyone has a choice in how they feel and how they choose to react to what people say and do. He has the power to feel sorry for himself and choose to not keep living, or he has the power to say life is short, I stuffed up, let's get back to business..
How dare you people expose such ignorance!!! No flaming about it you do not have a clue do you!!!
Read here lest your remain ignorant forever

Comment like this are ignorance to the extreme, and show absolutely no sympathy for whats going on in someones head. It's no game!
Try to have at least a modicum of understand how someone can feel so low that they feel the best thing for their loved ones is for them not to even exist.
It's all too common, I know those that have been there, I've come close myself on occasions as have many others, lots of whom wont be so able to readily admit it.
Selfish!! Its nowhere near as selfish as a community that sees a problem and chooses to neither recognise nor deal with it. The Selfish comments are simply an excuse for inaction.

Yes you have hit a raw nerve!!!
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2005, 10:52 AM   #32
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

Red_EL_XR8,

is one not responsible for one's actions. :

No one forced him to do what he did............

I do not see these posts as ignorant. :jab:

They are expressing thoughts, concerns, and at the least showing compassion.

I don't see compassion, for one, from your point of view!!!

Not everyone reads as deep into an issue, or gets as philosophical as you do.......

Bit over the top Red!!!

Me thinks this thread is gonna go soon...

FGX-XR8 Manual, BFII E-Gas, '11 GSXR 1000 - Love 'em!
FPV Tickford Club of NSW - www.fpvclub.com
Bluehoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2005, 10:59 AM   #33
bindi
Redhead extraordinaire...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_EL_XR8
How dare you people expose such ignorance!!! No flaming about it you do not have a clue do you!!!
Read here lest your remain ignorant forever Yes you have hit a raw nerve!!!
Apologies for hitting your raw nerve there Red.

But I have been on both sides, having battled depression on three separate occasions (almost throwing myself off a cliff after having my second child), and it was the book Choice Theory by William H Glasser that really helped me out of it.

After reading this book, I realised that every day I had the choice to feel how I wished about the world. Everyone has this choice. I understand that others think depression is happening TO them rather than a deepseated subconscious choice, and it can feel like you are the victim. But getting up, facing each day and realising that with every little interaction in this world you can choose to feel happy, sad, loving or fearful can be very powerful.

Anyone can do this. Once the realisation hit me, it took courage to get back on the road to recovery and I have patted myself on the back. People have to realise that the black hole you feel you are in and can never get out of is fear. And you can choose to live your life in fear, but it's a CHOICE.

Flame all you want, I am not belittling the experiences of others either, just it is my opinion and I am offering a different viewpoint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_waity
Oh, and another surefire symptom will be the Falcon badge at the back.
bindi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2005, 11:09 AM   #34
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehoon
Red_EL_XR8,

is one not responsible for one's actions. :

Everyone is responsible for their actions!!!!! I'm sure you've never been on the drink and made an *** of yourself, have you?

Think of your dumbest act, one your not proud of then insert it into a sequence of events in a high stress environment. The have the results of your own stupidity exaggerated beyond all belief, be hounded mercilessly my media ghouls, the whole time feeling you have let all your colleagues and family down.

You may just have an inkling of how low a person can feel. Never been there? You may be one of the lucky ones, but at some point you will encounter things like this with someone around you, and it doesn't always involve obvious public mishaps. Recognise the problem and you can if nothing else not be contributing towards the problem.
Old 31-08-2005, 11:22 AM   #35
NAK302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Read here lest your remain ignorant forever

Comment like this are ignorance to the extreme, and show absolutely no sympathy for whats going on in someones head. It's no game!
Try to have at least a modicum of understand how someone can feel so low that they feel the best thing for their loved ones is for them not to even exist.
It's all too common, I know those that have been there, I've come close myself on occasions as have many others, lots of whom wont be so able to readily admit it.
Selfish!! Its nowhere near as selfish as a community that sees a problem and chooses to neither recognise nor deal with it. The Selfish comments are simply an excuse for inaction.

Yes you have hit a raw nerve!!!

exactly, Red.
just ask the thousands of men who are mixed up in the joke called the child support agency. to some suicide is the only option because of the communities inability to come to an equitable solution.
the deal is very rough indeed.
equality for all, unfortunetly not in my life time. even more so if you're a high profile public figure, the media makes sure of that.
i feel for J Brogden.
NAK302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2005, 11:25 AM   #36
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bindi
Flame all you want, I am not belittling the experiences of others either, just it is my opinion and I am offering a different viewpoint.
Now flame about it! Everyone gets to run an opinion.
My opinion is that blindly accepting media nonsense, and to glibly dismiss there is a person involved, and failing to relate individual actions to a bigger problem is simply poor form.
Imagine your clifftop scenario and add a bus load of those you know turning up shouting jump. Then maybe we can reevaluate what is selfish!
I don't discount your experiences but find it surprising anyone who'd felt that down in their past could dismiss others at a similar crossroad.
Old 31-08-2005, 11:26 AM   #37
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

Quote:
Everyone is responsible for their actions!!!!! I'm sure you've never been on the drink and made an *** of yourself, have you?

Think of your dumbest act, one your not proud of then insert it into a sequence of events in a high stress environment. The have the results of your own stupidity exaggerated beyond all belief, be hounded mercilessly my media ghouls, the whole time feeling you have let all your colleagues and family down.

You may just have an inkling of how low a person can feel. Never been there? You may be one of the lucky ones, but at some point you will encounter things like this with someone around you, and it doesn't always involve obvious public mishaps. Recognise the problem and you can if nothing else not be contributing towards the problem.
Glad to hear that.

Regardless of pressure / stress / environment, it is that person who is held accountable.
Must the same for drink driving...........

Believe me i have done some stupid things, but i gave up drinking for that reason!

John Brogden, made some silly moves, and only he is accountable for. No one else. No one made him do it, but him!

I don't understand how one can understand all this (yourself), and be so cold and harsh on people, who show thoughts and feelings, that possess intellect and confusion...

We are all different, we all have different thoughts, and i find your post, rather intolerable of this.

To me that is worse than not understanding at all.

FGX-XR8 Manual, BFII E-Gas, '11 GSXR 1000 - Love 'em!
FPV Tickford Club of NSW - www.fpvclub.com
Bluehoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2005, 11:30 AM   #38
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

I'll ask can we please end this discussion here. It's not the time or the place, PM please if you have issues with my comments.!