Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 29-08-2005, 05:05 PM   #1
GenesiS
*Smart *** comment here*

Question mounting pod filter question

just a quick question, i read in another post, that when mounting a pod filter in replacement for the exisiting air filter it is ideal to keep the filter in the exisiting air box as to avoid sucking in hot air and defeating the entire purpose of having the pod filter... this i understand

my question is, does this mean to simply remove the airbox cover, bolt the pod on (so to speak) so that it sits in the existing airbox, with the traditional air intake doing its thing, and not replace the airbox cover.

OR

does it mean to place the pod inside the airbox and place the cover back over the pod, so that it is entierly contained within the airbox, in otherwords, if the bonnet is open you would not actually be able to tell the pod was installed.

considering i am looking at purchasing a pod very soon i'd really appreciate any input and problems other people have come accross, noteably those that have el's.

GenesiS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2005, 06:54 PM   #2
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

best is to modify the airbox to mount the pod enclosed with lid. That way you get the best protection form the heat and still get the improved flow of the pod. There have been a few threads showing how this was done to other member cars, just do a search for pod filters and you should find them
Old 29-08-2005, 07:00 PM   #3
EDXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes you need to modify the lid to fit back on otherwise you will be sucking in hot air. Far easier and just as good to use a good quality panel filter instead though.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2005, 09:52 PM   #4
GenesiS
*Smart *** comment here*

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDXR8
Yes you need to modify the lid to fit back on otherwise you will be sucking in hot air. Far easier and just as good to use a good quality panel filter instead though.
i had thought of just purchasing a good quality panel filter that is washable and using that instead... but the **** factor of a pod... lol

but on a serious note, for some unknown reason i really do have my heart set on a pod filter and i dont mind doing the mods to the airbox either...

is there any particulars that really need to be taken into account when it comes to pod filters, or are they all much of a muchness?
GenesiS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2005, 10:08 PM   #5
EDXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenesiS
iis there any particulars that really need to be taken into account when it comes to pod filters, or are they all much of a muchness?
Just don't go for the cheapies IMO, get a K&N or BMC filter. Carefully size the pod up for the box, you need some room around it to allow adequate flow.

As for the **** factor of a pod, it's inside an airbox so you won't ever see it. It's just a lot of trouble for no gain IMO, but if you don't mind the work then go for it.
Old 29-08-2005, 11:20 PM   #6
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here's mine, in a BA airbox, but would easily fit an EF airbox. Mod only took @1hr using an EF (cutdown) air intake I had laying around, but as can be seen, is easily to revert back to original, but with the noticable results (on LPG) it'll be staying, will upgrade to a better brand now it's a proven enhancement as this pod is.......entry level.......no point spending heaps till I knew it worked. :eclipsee_
Old 29-08-2005, 11:38 PM   #7
EDXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

By the looks of it, if you calculate the filter area of that pod my bet is that it would be less than a panel filter therefore will also flow less. This is the problem with fitting a pod in the factory box, there isn't that much room. You really need to do a custom airbox, but you need a lot of power tao make it worthwhile.
Old 30-08-2005, 12:42 AM   #8
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDXR8
By the looks of it, if you calculate the filter area of that pod my bet is that it would be less than a panel filter therefore will also flow less. This is the problem with fitting a pod in the factory box, there isn't that much room. You really need to do a custom airbox, but you need a lot of power tao make it worthwhile.
The pic is of the pod mounted in the LID of the airbox, when re-fitted there is definately plenty of room in there I can assure you. Done properly, it's a mod I would highly recommend. However,using your theory, "less airflow", the gains I've made must all be mental one's...........
:
Old 30-08-2005, 12:50 AM   #9
EDXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dok
However,using your theory, "less airflow", the gains I've made must all be mental one's...........
:
Well going on actual dyno results, removing the airfilter and airbox all together gives 2-4kw at peak power (tested on half a dozen standard 6cyl and V8 falcons and a number of modified ones too). Even if the pod filter removed all the intake restriction (and a good percentage actually comes from the airbox itself), you still won't be able to feel a 4rwkw increase.
Old 30-08-2005, 08:26 PM   #10
superloweb
Fairmont6

i think ull find k&n also make a costom airbox and custom pipng to suit most vehicles i plane on having my pod ontop of my engine underneath the "soon to be" gt bonnet scoop
superloweb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post