Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 14-07-2009, 05:59 PM   #1
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 
Default Head porting for supercharged engine - worth doing?

Hey fellas,

My old man has a fully reconditioned head he just gave to me as he just bought a BF2 tray top ute in lieu of his trusty AU1 futura.

He said it costed him $350 to get it reconditioned/change over, he had it on his previous engine idling for about 1/2hour as he thought his head was stuffed but found out that the bottom end carked it. So took it off.

Anyway, long story short, he said it hasnt done any work what so ever and wanted to know if I wanted the head BBM and stock cam for spares, free. So I said yeah I'll take it.

Now a few things went thru my mind as I saw this basically new head sitting in the boot of my car.

Since I have forced induction on my beast, would some of you proven guru's recommend giving this head say, a mild port job and clean up of casting dags and match its flow with a mild cam to suit my application? or would porting be a waste of money?

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2009, 06:08 PM   #2
T3man
Banned

Regardless of what type of induction your engine has, a "port and polish" will always yield improvements. It is probably fair to say that, all other things being equal, then port matching a blown engine will yield even better results dollar for dollar than doing it to a N/A motor. This is because friction causes heat and any reduction or lessening of heat in a forced engine is a very good thing. Excessive heat will quickly erode the benefits of forced induction.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2009, 06:20 PM   #3
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3man
Regardless of what type of induction your engine has, a "port and polish" will always yield improvements. It is probably fair to say that, all other things being equal, then port matching a blown engine will yield even better results dollar for dollar than doing it to a N/A motor. This is because friction causes heat and any reduction or lessening of heat in a forced engine is a very good thing. Excessive heat will quickly erode the benefits of forced induction.
Thanks mate, the heat issue you mention is basically what my tuner says too. But I can also see your point with friction too. Im just wondering if I bother doing this work spending say, $500-800 on port work, fitting better valve springs, a decent cam, if say I may only gain barely noticeable power difference. i.e. 10-15rwkw.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 14-07-2009, 06:26 PM   #4
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
Thanks mate, the heat issue you mention is basically what my tuner says too. But I can also see your point with friction too. Im just wondering if I bother doing this work spending say, $500-800 on port work, fitting better valve springs, a decent cam, if say I may only gain barely noticeable power difference. i.e. 10-15rwkw.
How many rwkw does it have at the moment?

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2009, 06:30 PM   #5
blueoval
Critical Thinker

194rwkw

|
|
|
|
V

;)

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 14-07-2009, 06:54 PM   #6
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
194rwkw

|
|
|
|
V

;)
Okay, should have had a look there! LOL!

So porting the head would give you 10-20 more? 20 more would be over 10% and if you've already got 194, that's a fair increase for the money.

You might not even notice the extra ponies that much, but if the drive-ability of the car improved, and you've got the cash to spend, why not?

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2009, 07:03 PM   #7
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
Okay, should have had a look there! LOL!

So porting the head would give you 10-20 more? 20 more would be over 10% and if you've already got 194, that's a fair increase for the money.

You might not even notice the extra ponies that much, but if the drive-ability of the car improved, and you've got the cash to spend, why not?

GK
Thats a positive way of looking at it George. I guess Im just weighing up the pro's and con's of doing this kind of mod. Ive been doing some searching on the forums with regards to head porting AU's but there hasnt been any hard and fast sort of results that claim that this is a worthwhile mod to undergo. Especially for a blown 6 setup.

Would cleaning up the port dags and opening up the restrictive areas increase torque too? Essentially, thats the improvement I really want. A rwkw number is good and all but I need to 'feel' the improvement of this sort of mod.

I know porting also is excellent for NA high lift cam applications, but for me, IF I chose to do a cam with this head as a combo, I know a bigger cam duration rather than higher lift would be better for boost. How would the head be ported to assist that?

What about the valves? Is there any more work that needs to be done there?

I guess Im after opinion's/advice on IF this is a worthy avenue to pursue. i.e. bang for buck

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont