Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-05-2009, 11:26 AM   #1
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 
Default Project concept check

I am looking at a future project car and had an idea this morning. Time to draw on the collective experience here and see if it is a workable idea.

I was thinking of a TE/TF Cortina, preferably with a 6 although could a 4 be converted. As the project I have an AUII with only 130k on the clock so the motor is pretty fresh. Initially I am thinking of transplanting the 4L into the Corty with a a view to supercharging it later.

Mechanically will it fit without massive engineering? As I have a complete AU will the ECU and wiring be able to be adapted to live in the corty? Will it be possible to swap the auto trans as well?

I am sure many more questions will develop but that will do for a start. I am thinking a corty with a modern engine will both be fun to build and when done would be quite a performer due to good power and low kerb mass. What do you all think?

Old 10-05-2009, 11:56 AM   #2
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

The AU motor should fit as the Corty has a fair size engine bay and the 250ci six was fitted at the factory. You may need a custom sump and engine mounts. But i'm sure this would've been done plenty of times with EB-ED engines into them.

As for the auto fitting. Not sure. Probably with some minor modifications.

Do a thread search!

PS Std 157kW/357Nm into the TE/TF will honk!

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2009, 12:06 PM   #3
jphanna
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
I am looking at a future project car and had an idea this morning. Time to draw on the collective experience here and see if it is a workable idea.

I was thinking of a TE/TF Cortina, preferably with a 6 although could a 4 be converted. As the project I have an AUII with only 130k on the clock so the motor is pretty fresh. Initially I am thinking of transplanting the 4L into the Corty with a a view to supercharging it later.

Mechanically will it fit without massive engineering? As I have a complete AU will the ECU and wiring be able to be adapted to live in the corty? Will it be possible to swap the auto trans as well?

I am sure many more questions will develop but that will do for a start. I am thinking a corty with a modern engine will both be fun to build and when done would be quite a performer due to good power and low kerb mass. What do you all think?
The TF was on my 'wanted' list back in the early 80's. I thought the TE/TF shape was nice back then. It was credited as one of the first 'EURO' style cars to come out. The TF has a lot of changes to the window area (bigger glass) which makes it more desirable but they are like hens teeth to find these days. I cant remember the last time i seen a TE or TF anywhere.

Good luck and post some before / after pics if you do it.
FG XR6 (son)
jphanna is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2009, 01:12 PM   #4
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

We have found a TE 6 Ghia for $750, probably get it for $650. It has really rough paint, some minor rust and a few dings but in general the body is in good condition. The interior needs some work but it would cop a re trim anyway so no probs there. The down side is a lot of the exterior trim needs replacing (hard to get) and it has a vinyl roof which often hide horror stories underneath. It also has the factory spot lights and overiders which would stay after a freshen up.

My concept would be new paint, dark tint, nice classic style wheels (such as symmons), a mild drop in suspension and no wings, vents, cannons or other rice. Just nice and neat with lots of poke.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:07 PM   #5
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

For that kind of coin you can't really go wrong. I could see the engine fitting but it may be too high with the BBM manifold. You might have to swap back to the EB log and a/c compressor for height clearances... But in saying that if it was me , I would find a EA CPI manifold and run an adapter with a little 350 or 465 Holley for the old school look.

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2009, 02:18 PM   #6
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

thinking about it and making it easier on your pockets, you are probably better taking the dash from the AU and grafting it into the corty. You need all the jazzy electronic bits to run the trans, spark etc... It comes down to sums and how keen you are to keep the electronics
A few more things to consider:-
A sourced 5 speed or built C4 and adapter plate, tail shaft etc instead of your 4 speed
MSD for spark if you want to keep the coil packs or a mechanical regraphed dizzy
Injector drivers or a carby including the differences in fuel pumps.

If you want to boost it later I'd go with all the AU wiring , ECU etc, but for a stout n/a a carby fed 5 speed would be very budget friendly

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2009, 05:03 PM   #7
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Easy conversion. Just get a dellow or crs C4 bellhousing and run a C4 behind the 4L. As for manifold clearance. Should fit. If it doesn't then shell out $1000 and get a plenum like the turbo boys are using.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2009, 05:24 PM   #8
rubber fire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

try this link you will be able to find all your answer as these guys have done
most of what you want to do an will be able to steer you in the right direction http://www.fordaustraliaforums.com/f...splay.php?f=23
rubber fire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2009, 06:34 PM   #9
Hally

A good concept. I have been thinking of doing a simlar thing with a 6 cyl T code Mustang for a daily driver.

Buying an AU as a donor and swapping the drivetrain over.
Hally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2009, 07:46 PM   #10
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

Mate I know bugger all about the technical side of these kind of conversions, but it does sound like a great idea. probably just as effective as putting in a V8, and will probably be a lot more fuel efficient. Again, awesome idea.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:04 PM   #11
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Au 6 will bolt straight in, just use the origional 6cyl sump. Go a manual!!!

Getting an Au ECU in there would be tricky as you would need the BCM.

I'd buy a boonga EF 6cly, use that motor and ECU and simply use a "smartlock bypass" (AU's have "smartshield" which is harder to by-pass)

Manual EF 6 in a corty is a cheap and quick toy.
ZA-289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2009, 12:13 AM   #12
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

I would like to keep the EFI instead of convering to carby as it would be easier to set up with supercharging in the future and also make emissions standards easier to reach. The down side is the smartlock and therefore getting the AUII ECU to live in the corty. Maybe a dash transplant is an option not to mention a novel idea. I wonder how they compare dimension wise as the corty would have to be narrower than an AU.

Maybe a stand alone ECU will also be an option, should be able to get that to work with the EFI, ignition and stock AU sensors. I am tipping custom headers will be required which will be an issue as will possibly a custom manifold.

Have not decided if this project will go ahead yet, need to do some research. I also have a large issue of where to do it as I do not yet have a shed and will not until we build the new house which won't be until next year. Anyway lots of work to go but keep the info coming.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:54 PM   #13
v8falconsrule
Blue ~oval~ Blooded!!!

anything can be acheived with a combination of cash and lateral thinking.

i know the 4 and 6 cyl had a different k frame. i would think the au donk should physically fit in the same space an old 250 used to.

50th Anniv G6E Turbo in Sensation
Cobalt blue 94 ED XR8 Sprint- resto/ project
v8falconsrule is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post