Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-07-2005, 11:59 AM   #1
lizardmech

Default RACV demand new P plate laws

What is wrong with the RACV? I mean atleast the government manage to make themself a heap of money with idiotic road rules but whats in it for the RACV? Its pretty clear the RACV doesn't care about road safety, they don't suggest anything that would cost the government anything like driver training or improved testing. If its so dangerous for people aged 21-23 to drink drive with less than 0.005 BAC I don't see why older people should be exempt.
http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/com...55E661,00.html

Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2005, 12:15 PM   #2
KELDO_XR8

Agree totally, no body should be alowed to drink and drive. It impairs your judgement and on the road thats one of the most important things.

Curfiews wouldn't work. It would impact on the designated driver program, and with many young people working late shifts it would also effect their employment prospects. I know if if these restrictions were to ever come in that i wouldnt be able to get home from work!

Instead of making it harder for young people to gain experience in ALL conditions, why dont they invest in making young drivers more capable?

oh no, wait. that might cost money.

better not do that hey.
KELDO_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2005, 12:40 PM   #3
parawolf
beep beep

Personally I think they should make the licence process harder to get. I believe it is way to easy for an 18 year old to get their P's and then to transfer onto their full licence. Everyone knows it.

Saturday night I witnessed a P plater attempting, many times, to do a U-turn across double white lines just before a blind corner, in the wet. Notably he got honked, a lot - however I don't think he understood why. Not because you were blocking traffic, well maybe 30% was that, but you were attempting to do something illegal and stupid.

Now, if the driver was lost, that is still no excuse. Keep driving until you find a legal place to turn, or turn off and consult your street directory of choice to find a place to turn around.

It is this sort of thing that causes accidents, but I bet he just does not understand why he was being honked.
Old 25-07-2005, 12:45 PM   #4
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardmech
If its so dangerous for people aged 21-23 to drink drive with less than 0.005 BAC I don't see why older people should be exempt.

Agree totally i dont think anybody should be allowed to drink and drive as it impairs judgement even if you are below .05 . However that is not something that can be enforced in vic.
Old 25-07-2005, 01:56 PM   #5
LTDHO
The one and only

I believe RACV made this comment due to the amount of claims that come through where age/inexperience/alcohol are contributing factors.
RACV looks at the roads and the roads safety as serious contributors to motor accidents also, but they don't go via the media or road uses, they go direct to the government.
If you are a RACV member you will know and see RACV's dedication to seriously decreasing the road toll and make the roads safer.
Increasing the minium age of BAC 0.00 is due to the inexperience of driver up to this age. In their research I believe they foung that 21 to 23 year olds could handle alcohol.
RACV is there to support the driver and not to back up the revenue raising cameras. So why not back them?
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2005, 02:00 PM   #6
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Whether or not 21-23 yo's can handle alcohol or not, you shouldn't have to "handle" alcohol on the road. Nobody drinks alcohol in order to stay sober, not even one glass, it's still relaxing/enjoyable. Anything that has even one glass' effect on a driver is enough to even slightly decrease their judgement, it's hard enough with radio, other cars and pedestrians on the road to then add even a simple beer's worth of relaxation to the mix. I personally think a 0.01 amount should be compulsory for everyone, or even a 0.00 limit to be drastic. The eldest and most experience shouldn't be able to let loose now that they can suddenly down 2 beers and still drive. They should be setting an example.
Old 25-07-2005, 02:18 PM   #7
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If the BAC limit was reduced, then alcohol sales would drop = less excise tax. The pollies aren't that stupid when it comes to $$$$$ at least
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2005, 04:14 PM   #8
Hawk
I am The Brain!

Oh man. I hope they don't bring in the alcohol restriction one...I am just about to get off my P Plates and finally be able to drive even though I may have had one or two drinks. It is one thing that has really irritated me whilst being on my Ps. I totally understand the reason for the no-alcohol rule when on Ps...I believe it should be there obviously, I just find it so restrictive now...and if I have to put up with it for a further two years I will be livid!

Woohoo 1.6L 1999 Toyota Corolla....feel the power!

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant.
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post