Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-12-2008, 11:00 PM   #31
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i reckon this one is worth looking at, v8 power , lpg, not a lot of dollars and a great cruiser to boot......and manual .
http://yahoo.carsales.com.au/used-ca...s=2&__Qpb=true
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2008, 11:01 PM   #32
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ooops i missed your last post better forget this one. :(
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2008, 11:08 PM   #33
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

:(, limited edition car too haha. Ah well, someone else can invest in that one
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2008, 12:27 AM   #34
homegrown
hotshot

I'd sell my a-hole for a mustang. I like how you have a big selection a cars that your interested in and your not a narrow minded fool like me. thats a good thing.
Old 24-12-2008, 01:21 AM   #35
ch33z1l
Dawn

Friend of mine just upgraded from a brand new Mazda 2, to one of the new Lancer VR models. Interior wise, both a very similar and have a cockpit sort of feel. Mazda 2 was very underpowered compared to the Lancer.

Being a first car, u may want to offload it at a later date. BA-BF tends to not hold its value compared to the other options. Also something to consider.
ch33z1l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2008, 08:45 AM   #36
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

One good measure to add is would you want this ca when its 3 or 5 years old.

The AU fairlane for example and you would almost get a BA i you want has lots of apeal as a country cruiser. The i30 (i don't know anything about them) may be fabulous now but is it a car that will make you smile when it's 3 years old with 100K on it?

A BF Ghia is worth a look. With the 6 speed auto it will out run anything on the list fit all you crap in get good fuel and the auto is good enough to make you question why you wanted a manual in the 1st place.

Cheers
Old 24-12-2008, 05:58 PM   #37
chich
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You can currently buy a slightly used update model Mazda SP23 for around the $30K mark, so by the time you're ready they would fall within your budget. Its built well (to a price obviously), handles well, goes well & will retain its value better than any Falcadore. This is what i'd be buying if i was after a small/medium car.

Moving up a little in size (meduim/large cars) my pick would be a slighlty used Honda Accord Euro Luxury. They look good, go very well & are packed with little luxuries like full leather, sunroof, heated mirrors & seats etc etc. $30K currently buys a practically new 07 model. Can't go wrong..
chich is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2008, 02:07 AM   #38
madmelon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've just bought my second car, an 00 Auto 2.2L Camry. It's underpowered and dynamically apalling but it's the best car for me at the moment (early 20's). I blew 2 years wages on a 20 year old Jag and loved it while I had it. Now I regret it big time because I really want a deposit for a house. The Camry is great because it's dirt cheap to run, dirt cheap to insure (in my name, comprehensive is <$900/yr) and is fairly spacious. Only thing I'd do differently is get a manual instead of auto.

The smartest thing you could do if you have all that money saved up is to invest it somewhere SAFE (bank). The interest on 25g's is like $1500 a year or more. Buy yourself something CHEAP and RELIABLE. New cars are all well and good but you lose a bundle of money straight up.

I just wish I'd followed this advice 3 years ago...
madmelon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2008, 04:37 PM   #39
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

If you live in the country ask yourself this; which one would you rather be sitting in at 100kph if you get passed by a semi trailer going the other way in a 30 knot cross wind when you get hit with his bow wave and which one would you prefer to be sitting in if you hit a 6' suicidal skippy. For my money, the best value for money would be the AU fairlane. You can pick up a very good low km series 2 for under 10k and have lots to spend on bling and bang if you want. Get it put on LPG and you have a good cheap cruiser. I just pulled a trailer to SA and back at the speed limit with my old NF for a bit over $200 each way, that's about 1700km each way.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2008, 11:34 AM   #40
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmelon
I've just bought my second car, an 00 Auto 2.2L Camry. It's underpowered and dynamically apalling but it's the best car for me at the moment (early 20's). I blew 2 years wages on a 20 year old Jag and loved it while I had it. Now I regret it big time because I really want a deposit for a house. The Camry is great because it's dirt cheap to run, dirt cheap to insure (in my name, comprehensive is <$900/yr) and is fairly spacious. Only thing I'd do differently is get a manual instead of auto.

The smartest thing you could do if you have all that money saved up is to invest it somewhere SAFE (bank). The interest on 25g's is like $1500 a year or more. Buy yourself something CHEAP and RELIABLE. New cars are all well and good but you lose a bundle of money straight up.

I just wish I'd followed this advice 3 years ago...

I've got $10,000 sitting in a term deposit at the moment, $2500 sitting in the bank and still have to amass the rest of the money over this year (2009) and next year (2010), should have roughly $17,000 at the end of this year (2009).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushbasher
If you live in the country ask yourself this; which one would you rather be sitting in at 100kph if you get passed by a semi trailer going the other way in a 30 knot cross wind when you get hit with his bow wave and which one would you prefer to be sitting in if you hit a 6' suicidal skippy. For my money, the best value for money would be the AU fairlane. You can pick up a very good low km series 2 for under 10k and have lots to spend on bling and bang if you want. Get it put on LPG and you have a good cheap cruiser. I just pulled a trailer to SA and back at the speed limit with my old NF for a bit over $200 each way, that's about 1700km each way.

Bushbasher
Yeah I do live in the country, and in my parents small cars, they tend to get blown around a little bit by strong winds and trucks passing. The AU Fairlane so far seems to have the most support, it looks nice on the outside and the inside. Hows the premium audio on these things? Or should I just go full aftermarket? I kind of want to keep a stock look on my cars. It'd also be better for Dad to use the Fairlane to tow his little 6x4 trailer which is always loaded up to the max rather than his car or when we go out we've got a nice comfy car to go in rather than cramming all of us in a small car.
Quote:

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.

Last edited by Daymoe; 26-12-2008 at 11:39 AM.
Old 26-12-2008, 12:13 PM   #41
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daymoe
Yeah I do live in the country, and in my parents small cars, they tend to get blown around a little bit by strong winds and trucks passing. The AU Fairlane so far seems to have the most support, it looks nice on the outside and the inside. Hows the premium audio on these things? Or should I just go full aftermarket? I kind of want to keep a stock look on my cars. It'd also be better for Dad to use the Fairlane to tow his little 6x4 trailer which is always loaded up to the max rather than his car or when we go out we've got a nice comfy car to go in rather than cramming all of us in a small car.
I'll let you know as I'm about to go after a low km AU S2 Fairlane Sportsman. I did test drive a 170km Ghia the other day and the premium sound was ok but nothing to rave about, it'd do me but then I'm not wanting to crank out DOOF DOOF window rattlers all day. If you want to crank it way up and have stereo races with the ricers then aftermarket is a must but with the money you'll save buying an AU 'lane you'll be able to get some serious sound happening.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Old 26-12-2008, 02:15 PM   #42
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I'll let you know as I'm about to go after a low km AU S2 Fairlane Sportsman. I did test drive a 170km Ghia the other day and the premium sound was ok but nothing to rave about, it'd do me but then I'm not wanting to crank out DOOF DOOF window rattlers all day. If you want to crank it way up and have stereo races with the ricers then aftermarket is a must but with the money you'll save buying an AU 'lane you'll be able to get some serious sound happening.

Bushbasher
I mainly listen to 70s/80s and classical music, but occasionaly I'd like to get the doof doof and hip hop going ;) Do all ghias come with premo audio? I can't get a sportsman because they're V8s, no V8 rule for me in Victoria unfortunately. Theres an NL Fairlane Ghia with all leather going near me for $5000 which looks interesting but its a bit old though.
Quote:

Last edited by Daymoe; 26-12-2008 at 02:21 PM.
Old 26-12-2008, 03:41 PM   #43
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Mate, the sportsmans come in a 6 as well, the one I'm chasing is a 6.

Here's one HERE

Bushbasher

MINE- AUII Forte

Old 26-12-2008, 03:59 PM   #44
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Mate, the sportsmans come in a 6 as well, the one I'm chasing is a 6.

Here's one HERE

Bushbasher
Oh, thanks, didn't realise, only ones I saw for sale in Vic were 8s :S Whats the extras the sportsman came with? Are they worth the money?
Quote:

Old 26-12-2008, 04:14 PM   #45
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Quote:
Oh, thanks, didn't realise, only ones I saw for sale in Vic were 8s :S Whats the extras the sportsman came with? Are they worth the money?
Paint, LTD seats(electric with memory drivers side) and mirrors(memory), wheels and firmer suspension I believe as well. There may have been the prestige LTD sound too but I'm not sure.

I just like the look of them better than the Ghia and you won't necessarily pay more for one over a good Ghia these days. The one I'm chasing has only done 101k and the asking price is $9500 before we haggle, lol.

Don't be too quick to discount an NL or NF I have one and it is quiet, comfortable and super reliable. It'd be a cheap first cruiser if you get one on gas.

Bushbasher

MINE- AUII Forte

Last edited by Bushbasher; 26-12-2008 at 04:30 PM.
Old 26-12-2008, 04:24 PM   #46
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I looked on Carsales and the only AU Fairlanes for sale for <$10,000 is a 1999 series I Fairlane under private sales, might have to look at interstate and dealerships.
Quote:

Old 26-12-2008, 04:35 PM   #47
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

The one I posted in the link is a series 2 at 10k with only 140k on it and that's before you haggle ; and we all know you can usually knock down the price 10% without too much drama, especially if you wave CASH under their nose.
Having said that, NSW and QLD seem to be the 2 cheapest states to pick up cars on the whole although there are always exceptions.

and like I said, don't discount a good NF-NL till you've driven a couple.

Bushbasher

MINE- AUII Forte

Old 26-12-2008, 06:17 PM   #48
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In 2010, you probably can get some good 2006-2007 model BFs for $20-25k.

XR6T ?
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2008, 07:11 PM   #49
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ives
In 2010, you probably can get some good 2006-2007 model BFs for $20-25k.

XR6T ?
Illegal, i'll be on my Ps up until late 2012. I don't mind the look of the NL, they're cheap and some have leather and some even have gas conversions.
Quote:

Last edited by Daymoe; 26-12-2008 at 07:19 PM.
Old 28-12-2008, 12:40 AM   #50
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

Just out of curiosity, have you contemplated a Mitsubishi KJ ('00-'03) Verada? they're a decent car with plenty of kit, plenty of space, and a decent engine, add to that, they're quicker than an AU XR6 let alone a heavier Fairlane, and they're pretty comfortable too.

If your not into a FWD, don't forget, they we're available with AWD, but unfortunately no manual. They look decent, and good examples are available for around 11-13k
Old 28-12-2008, 10:27 AM   #51
azaxr8

You can pick up a nice cheap au and have enough cash to save over the next two years on your p plates and jump straight into a v8
azaxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2008, 10:35 AM   #52
phoon
BOLLOCKS

Quote:
I also sat in the i30, quite damn good for a Hyundai car.
Hyundai's used to be pieces of crap, but no more. They build very good cars and the i30 is great value for money. If I was after a small car, I would be grabbing one of these.
phoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2008, 10:39 AM   #53
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by azaxr8
You can pick up a nice cheap au and have enough cash to save over the next two years on your p plates and jump straight into a v8
More like the next 4 years on my P plates haha, believe me, if I don't spend all my cash next year, I'll probably be in a JZA80 Toyota Supra with the 2JZGTE TT engine the second I turn 22 .

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_190
Just out of curiosity, have you contemplated a Mitsubishi KJ ('00-'03) Verada? they're a decent car with plenty of kit, plenty of space, and a decent engine, add to that, they're quicker than an AU XR6 let alone a heavier Fairlane, and they're pretty comfortable too.

If your not into a FWD, don't forget, they we're available with AWD, but unfortunately no manual. They look decent, and good examples are available for around 11-13k
I was actually looking at those earlier this year, I don't mind FWD (I've never driven anything RWD) so really at the moment it doesn't bother me. If anything, the manual transmission out of the same year Magna would probably bolt up with minor mods anyway ;) I;ve never really looked into them though, but they're cheap and a P plater that went to my school around the corner from me has one.
Quote: