Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 13-07-2005, 09:45 PM   #1
lossofappetite
My brain runs on lemons.

Default It Begins... Modding the EL

Ok, after a year of driving around stock, i've taken the plunge and begun what seems to be a long journey into modsville.

I'm driving a 97 EL GLi, Auto.

Just this morning i've ordered the EL GT Air snorkel and K&N Panel filter for the intake mod. $190.00

After this i'm getting Either Genies or Pacemakers strapped on, as well as sports exhaust depending on what quotes I can get from the local garages...

I'll get some photos of the whole procedure, keep you posted. I'm thinking there might be other ppl like me out there interested in how I go about the first step mods.

After this i'm going to attempt a mod on the interior... nothing major, no paint as yet... thinking about taking the cloth inserts in the door panels out and dying them a shade darker to match the carpet.

Exterior is to remain totally stock. I'm not even going to put a chrome tip on... hehehe... :evil_laug

lossofappetite is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2005, 09:49 PM   #2
niko
likes falcon's

for intirior carpet, try spotlight or a material shop and try something different a mate changed them in his ef came up awesome u pull door trim off undo the metal bendy clips and wrap new stuff on top
Old 13-07-2005, 09:49 PM   #3
b2tf
not here much anymore

Sounds like youll end up with a real sleeper.

Id go Pacies over Genies, Pacies seem to have the most consistent figures in the way of results and performance increases.
Old 13-07-2005, 09:53 PM   #4
niko
likes falcon's

lukeys seem to be a good route to, they like cams

show us ya stoko!!!
Old 13-07-2005, 09:53 PM   #5
lossofappetite
My brain runs on lemons.

It's great having such a blank canvas as the GLi... it's also bad because my imagination starts to run away and I forget about the $$$...

But starting is the big thing...

Yeah the paceys are what I would prefer, but theres always that money thing. I can always hold off for a little while...

I saw in the parts shop I went to these induction kits for $300.00, takes out the airbox and everything to the throttle body, enormous air scoop... heard anything about these? I think it was made by Redline...

I opted for the minor mod, seems like a lot of mucking around...

Installation and Pics this weekend.

Last edited by lossofappetite; 13-07-2005 at 10:00 PM.
Old 13-07-2005, 10:06 PM   #6
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lossofappetite

I saw in the parts shop I went to these induction kits for $300.00, takes out the airbox and everything to the throttle body, enormous air scoop... heard anything about these? I think it was made by Redline...
Would be a waste of money. Until you have all the major stuff like cam, extractors etc etc done, you dont really need to do any more than you already are to the intake.
Old 13-07-2005, 10:11 PM   #7
ilsautomotive
Former E-Series Member

Sounds good mate, I'd suggest giving equal attention to the car's braking and handling though.
ilsautomotive is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2005, 11:16 PM   #8
niko
likes falcon's

dumpagggggggggggggggggggggge

change shox if there a little worn, u will not regret it one bit, i got new monroe sensatrak, my rides as smooth as friends standard suspensioned cars BUT WITH SUPERLOWS!
Old 13-07-2005, 11:45 PM   #9
MrQuan
Social Disaster

G'day,

I read that you're thinking of some interior mods on your EL. I have an EF and have done a few mods myself.

I recently re-trimmed the material in my doors. For a big piece of black vinal, rool of spongy foam, glue, knife, etc etc I spent about $50 at Spotlight.

Here's a couple of pics...

Black vinal door trims...

Sprayed dash (still want to do the inserts and a few other trims ;)). As you can see this was done prior to the door trims :P...

Check this out for a tutorial for interior painting, http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=12444.

I've also put LEDs in my door handles (turn on wit the interior lights), the LEDs are "white" really, the camera makes them look blue for some reason? meh... Oh, this was also done prior to the vinal door trims ;)...

It's good fun to mess around with interior stuff on the weekends and looks nice I reckon! I might be able to help you if you have any questions

PS: I'll take photos of the final product soon! It looks great with the black sprayed dash and door trims

3.73 LSD | Darkest legal tint | tinted back lights | Sprayed Dash | Custom Trims
Sound System:
Fusion front splits, rear 3-ways, and 2 x 12" subs with ctrl, 3 x Fusion amps | Clarion HU | 1F Cap | 60GB Zen Xtra | 800W RMS output!
MrQuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2005, 01:48 PM   #10
PULLY6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I LOVE the look of the LED's in the door handles! How did you wire that one up?
Old 14-07-2005, 02:08 PM   #11
the_scotsman
MY21.5 Mustang GT

Yea I plan to do the door handle LED mod this weekend, its very easy, and looks great!

Instructions HERE! @ fordmods.com
Old 14-07-2005, 02:46 PM   #12
lossofappetite
My brain runs on lemons.

Alrighty then! Was woken up by my phone this morning, the Auto parts shop had received my goods... I haven't had a quicker shower and got dressed since I slept in and had 5 mins to get to work!

I've installed the filter and the snorkel, love it when everything just snaps in like magic.

I've also had new pedders struts installed about a week ago, so the car is handling like a dream, and on new rubber.

Now, I'm not sure if it's the placebo effect or the fact that everything just snapped in nicely, the sound of the air (again, in my head or for real?) but DAMN I had a nice drive afterwards.

Not that I FLOG it around my neighbourhood, but yeah...

Photos this weekend, I promise.

Thanks for the info on the interior mods. Might get cracking on that sooner rather than later... I LIKE the leds in the door handles... might just do that and get some chrome handles too.

Ok... imagination starting up... have to go work now!
Old 16-07-2005, 12:40 AM   #13
hornet

Good stuff. Keep up the good work.

I started with an AU XR8 intake on mine, then got the 17's, lowering, lsd. Now getting a 3" mandral intake soon, then extractors (already have a 2 1/2" system) stage 3 cam and unichip

This is also on my EL.