Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 13-07-2005, 10:50 AM   #1
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Default BA SSS + shift kit :D

w00t! After many bungled attempts regarding fitting up a shift kit (such as the circuit diagrams available on mechanicalforums.com), the FINALLY worked last night!

I opted for a dead-simple non-switchable 22/1ohm combo for moderate shifts. Now the SSS has next to NO lag when changing gears, however under WOT at redline it'll still have minimal lag (200rpm? 1/4 second?), but is much more responsive than the non-shift-kitted behaviour (800rpm, 1/2 second)! When the auto is left in D, its shifts are gentle yet quick, so I'm going to leave it on all the time now.

I think the switch I was using might have been defective (and it was an on/off/on rather than an on/on/on). Also, some connectors (spade connectors) were left exposed and possibly earthed where they shouldn't have from time to time, but I tidied it all up with last night's attempt, hiding the resistors in a project box and isolating the spade connectors from potential earth points, etc.

I'm teh dodge! And I should invest in a multimeter sometime... And upgrade from the $8 Supercheap crimp set I splashed out on... And complete my bloody BA conversion... :

Anyhoo this latecomer to shift kits highly recommends it ;) I am more than happy with the 22/1ohm combo! The only harshness I've noticed has been if I've put it back into 2nd (in SSS) at about 60kph with 1/4 throttle... it goes WHUMP!, however it was a little rough with this in the first place. It's just amplified now. Anyhoo I tend not to change from 4-3-2-1 at speeds where the box won't be happy.

Dooo iiiiit! :ymca:

-Dave-

mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2005, 11:03 AM   #2
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Congrats Dave on getting all in and up and running.

I suggest beer box as a temporary trim for the BA shifter , worked for me :P

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2005, 11:05 AM   #3
Sagerian
Custom User Title:

I was reading the thread on how to do this a while ago. It was about $600 for all the SSS kit right?
Just sometimes, in between the first cigarette with coffee in the morning to that four hundredth glass of cornershop p**s at 3am, you do sometimes look at yourself and think... this is fantastic. I'm in heaven.
Sagerian is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2005, 11:07 AM   #4
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Follow the links in both dave's sig and mine, have a read, it's all in there

Old 13-07-2005, 11:30 AM   #5
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellboy999
Congrats Dave on getting all in and up and running.

I suggest beer box as a temporary trim for the BA shifter , worked for me :P
lol, perhaps I should be more interested in the initial contents of the aforementioned beer box? : Nah I'll wait until I receive my leather, and then it'll finally look pretty. It's not *too* ugly at the moment.

So what's the go with your EA? Are you going to keep it? :evilsasmo

Sagerian, as Dellboy said, all the info is in our respective threads (and it should come to less than $600), and would you believe I had less (read: ZERO) trouble with wiring up the BA SSS compared to this damn shift kit? e

InitialD has a copy of the installation document, which will be uploaded onto www.deleted link soon (no pressure at all :P)

Dellboy, did you receive the installation document from my hotmail address?

Cheers,

-Dave-
Old 13-07-2005, 11:45 AM   #6
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Yeah Dave i got the doc, seemed complete, havent read it 100% word for word, saw my name a few times , as well as muzza .

Yes I keep my EA, gets a new head next Wednesday just in time for dyno day, and the head to head challenge against mick.

Old 13-07-2005, 11:50 AM   #7
Sagerian
Custom User Title:

Thanks for that guys. I read through dellboy's thread a while ago (reading through again now) but any $600 I might have had was going elsewhere. I've got spare cash to do this now, just need to design the centre console and dash (looking to put a carputer in too)

But my hat goes off to you pioneering guys.

Yea, an installation doc with all info in a central location would help.
Just sometimes, in between the first cigarette with coffee in the morning to that four hundredth glass of cornershop p**s at 3am, you do sometimes look at yourself and think... this is fantastic. I'm in heaven.
Sagerian is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2005, 11:53 AM   #8
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Quote:
Yeah Dave i got the doc, seemed complete, havent read it 100% word for word, saw my name a few times , as well as muzza .

Yes I keep my EA, gets a new head next Wednesday just in time for dyno day, and the head to head challenge against mick.
Yes, there was much thanks dished out to you & Muzza in the doco! After all without all of your R&D I wouldn't have my own BA shifter :eclipsee_

As for your dyno challenge, hopefully you crack the 100rwkw mark with the BBM mod So does the loser have to mow the winner's lawns in their wife's Sunday Dress<tm>? :

-Dave-
Old 13-07-2005, 12:01 PM   #9
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghia5L
As for your dyno challenge, hopefully you crack the 100rwkw mark with the BBM mod So does the loser have to mow the winner's lawns in their wife's Sunday Dress<tm>? :

-Dave-
No, but I am thinking of whipping up a trophy for the day :

I think a mounted broken EA rocker could do

Last edited by EA2BA; 13-07-2005 at 12:07 PM.
Old 13-07-2005, 12:06 PM   #10
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Good to see you got it going dave. Brings the old BTR to life huh?
Old 13-07-2005, 12:56 PM   #11
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Haha! Go the rocker! : Too bad I can't come up on the day to view the fun & games :

lol, my BTR feels like it is 10 years younger now!

I can see why people using "D" note that the 22 ohm shift is very moderate. If I used the 18 ohm resistor instead and went from 3rd to 2nd at 60kph with the SSS, I would be visiting a chiropractor pronto! : Or my auto would resemble an innovative espresso/cappuchino machine.

:eclipsee_ I'm loving it
Old 13-07-2005, 05:14 PM   #12
InitialD
Low and Loud

Quote:
bah you know you will loose : :dr_Evil: LOL

1993 Ford Falcon XR6 Poly Green Stationwagon - 4.0 I6, Auto, 3:45LSD, All the usual XR6 Stuff but in a wagon :
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2005, 05:16 PM   #13
InitialD
Low and Loud

Quote:
No, but I am thinking of whipping up a trophy for the day :

I think a mounted broken EA rocker could do
how about a 3.9 MPFI badge Stuck on a piece of rockercover which is mounted to a nice piece of timber ;)

1993 Ford Falcon XR6 Poly Green Stationwagon - 4.0 I6, Auto, 3:45LSD, All the usual XR6 Stuff but in a wagon :
Old 13-07-2005, 05:18 PM   #14
EA2BA
PM me if you want

how about a polished good rocker, and a 3.9mpfi badge mounted to a nice piece of timber

Old 13-07-2005, 05:28 PM   #15
InitialD
Low and Loud

Done ;) Sounds goo

(mick hopes his auto holds up)

Old 14-07-2005, 09:51 AM   #16
Kenaz
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Sounds awesome Dave ;)

Also, are you still going to Heathcote on Saturday?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Nov 02
It's suave, more subtle, and yet no less stirring. In fact, the boosted Ford is more polished than any big sedan Australia has ever produced. It's just so damn good, it makes the SS feel crude... Ignore the WRX. Forget the E49. Falcon XR6 Turbo is king.
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2005, 11:50 AM   #17
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

G'day Ash!

Yep, still going to Heathcote, albeit slower than I was hoping. The GT40P heads I've put a deposit on aren't available for a little while yet, and I had no luck with sourcing a set of 3.7-3.9 gears for before Heathcote, but I might be picking up some 3.9s either tomorrow or Sunday (doh! If only I got them last week!!!)

I'm hoping for mid 15s on Saturday :alien2: but this might be optimistic...

Cheers mate

-Dave-