Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 14-09-2008, 11:53 PM   #1
99VCTFairlane

Default Lpg converter

Hi guys,
The LPGon the 'Lane is ****ing me off, on long constant drives (like over 30 mins on a highway/freeway) the converter actually freezes over with ice all over it and obviously it pretty much dies in the till it defrosts and warms up again. There is nothing abnormal about my cooling system, runs perfect on petrol without missing a beat, there is no blockages in the coolant pipes to or form the coverter and when its city driving its fine?
Is my thermostat buggered and running the engine too cool (my temp needle doesnt ever get passed the middle of the N of the 'normal' gauge on both gas and petrol). Or is my converter wrecked? The gas system has only been in for a year and done about 15k kays or less. Either way i cant see the point of 60 cents a litre for gas when the converter doesnt let me utilise it? At least Unleaded works...
What can it be?

Cheers,
Alex

99VCTFairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2008, 12:10 AM   #2
trick_xd
I build your wish list...

a freezing converter means you have a water problem .

there is 3 things

1 . you have lost water in your radiator so then you have lost it in ya converter so it freezers

2 . you have a block in ya water hoses to the converter

3 . and this is the most common . . The gas system runs of the by-pass hose from ya heater , your thermostat has a long base on it so when your thermostat opens all the way it is blocking off the by-pass hose that also feeds ya converter so it has no water going to it and it freezers.

to fix this problem all you do is remove ya thermostat and cut the base off it , OR go to repco and get a thermostat to suit a BA falcon as it is smaller in length.
Old 15-09-2008, 06:41 AM   #3
au2sw
Blown 5L coming

there could also be an airlock in the coolant system. the easiest way to fix this is with the cap off the header tank, run the car with the heater on full. you'll be able to tell when the thermostat opens due to the swirling of water in the little square where the 2 smaller pipes go in. add water as required and let the car continue like this for about 10 - 15 minutes. this will bleed all air out of the system. to make sure you dont have a blockage in the system, and you have a constant flow of water, with the engine off, and preferably cold, take one hose off the converter and with your garden hose push water through the system. becareful here as some systems have a one way flow, others are either direction. with a one way, take the out hose off and put the garden hose on the pipe that runs from the converter, leaving the converter to flow with water. you should have a good flow out of the converter if the system is unblocked. another thing that can cause the converter to freeze is a partially blocked radiator....i have seen it happen. if replacing thremostat, or any of the things i have suggested doesnt fix the problem, get your radiator flushed and core cleaned, a full system flush may be a good idea at the same time here too.
good luck and let us know how you go.
col

NEW CLUB FOR SUNSHINE COAST !! www.f-p-e.proboards.com

Contact Col (au2sw) via PM or on MSN @ efmonty@hotmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Its like central locking in your car. We've all had cars without it and we were fine then, but try and take it from me? NO WAY.
au2sw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2008, 05:40 PM   #4
99VCTFairlane

cheers guys, ill check it out tomorrow arvo when i got the time, ill try it all then and let you know
Alex
Old 24-09-2008, 12:45 AM   #5
99VCTFairlane

hey all, sorry about the long reply, i took out the old thermostat... and it was stuffed, the plunger was locked open and yes, it was blocking the heater pipes too, hence the freezing in the convertor all the time, i put in a new BA 82 degree stat and all is good now, no freezing and no problems all round. Thanks alot everyone
Alex
Old 24-09-2008, 12:56 AM   #6
trick_xd
I build your wish list...

Good stuff

Now leave you radiator cap loose and put your heaters to Hot and let ya car heat up .

when the thermostat opens if there is any air in the water system it will go through and end up in the overflow bottle, Let it do that and then check the water again .
if down top it up and put the cap on tight again .
Old 24-09-2008, 06:54 AM   #7
au2sw
Blown 5L coming

glad to hear mate, and only to happy to be of assistance

NEW CLUB FOR SUNSHINE COAST !! www.f-p-e.proboards.com

Contact Col (au2sw) via PM or on MSN @ efmonty@hotmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Its like central locking in your car. We've all had cars without it and we were fine then, but try and take it from me? NO WAY.
au2sw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post