Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-07-2008, 10:59 AM   #1
noosacuda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default GT-HO eating Mopar

If the XY GT-HO was the fastest production sedan in its day,what about this Mopar? http://www.superhanger.com/photo.htm

noosacuda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2008, 11:19 AM   #2
jcxr
Tribal Elder

HO still gets the cigar, that mopar was a special build if we read right. Four built world wide for orders. This one for a gent who didnt want his mother in law to climb over the folded seat.
jcxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2008, 11:22 AM   #3
MONSOON

yes that is very cool car, but is a totally different concept to a GTHO, which was primarily designed as a homoglation special for production car curcuit racing, that DODGE looks like a taxi, a VERY FAST taxi or being red a fire chief's car...
But I doubt it would compete with a GTHO around a curcuit. I still think its great though, the perfect sleeper
Old 09-07-2008, 12:22 PM   #4
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

those were the days. back when you could tell the salesman what specs you wanted and they would be only too happy to help. now we get told we have one choice of v8 and one model we can have it in. bring back the olden times
||| is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2008, 12:37 PM   #5
blackwood
FiSTed

Whilst that Dodge would have whipped the P3 over the 1/4mile, the P3 would have smashed it for circuit speed and top end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris Said on Mt Panorama
Man if this track were in America it would be illegal!
blackwood is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2008, 01:41 PM   #6
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/...feature15.html

1969 Dodge Polara CHP car .. from http://www.allpar.com/squads/history.html
Quote:
1969 was the year of the ultimate squad; for a quarter century afterwards, nothing could match its performance capability - the 1969 Polara Pursuit. This was the apex of the high-power era, the last year before lower compression engines and tightening emisions requirements. The 1969 Polara Pursuit, with its 375 bhp 440, sleek new "fuselage" bodystyle, and standard 3.23 axle, could do 0-60 in 6.3 seconds, the quarter mile in 14.3 seconds (at over 99 mph), and run out to a top speed of (or, by some accounts, above) 147 mph!
Not sure about stopping or going around corners?
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2008, 01:24 AM   #7
ea90gl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The dodge coronet what a machine, just look at those rear tires; explain to me how you channel 500 odd HP through them, those times are nothing compared to what them old beasts were really capable of
ea90gl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2008, 02:27 PM   #8
noosacuda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Like a P3 could handle well?! Aerodynamics of a Besser Block! LOL! Remember all they were was a powerful V8 taxi-should've been a coupe.
noosacuda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2008, 02:32 PM   #9
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

The E49 Charger accelerated quicker than the GTHO in the magazine tests I still have laying around here. But I guess that was a two door.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:34 PM   #10
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews
The E49 Charger accelerated quicker than the GTHO in the magazine tests I still have laying around here. But I guess that was a two door.
"E49 is quicker than a GTHO" in a non related thread quote number 49596839506........

Old 10-07-2008, 02:35 PM   #11
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Your reply in two minutes a new record :-)
Old 10-07-2008, 02:36 PM   #12
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews
Your reply in two minutes a new record :-)
you just beat it by a min!!!

Old 10-07-2008, 02:54 PM   #13
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

e49- xr6t of the seventies [without the handling]
Old 10-07-2008, 04:41 PM   #14
mcnews
Trev

They handled fine mate. They didn't stop but trust me they handled damn fine for a car of that era.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:22 PM   #15
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=blackwood]Whilst that Dodge would have whipped the P3 over the 1/4mile, the P3 would have smashed it for circuit speed and top end.[/QUOTE
whipped might be a bit exagerated i rekon , if mags of the day are correct for the ho, 14.4 average 14.0 best re: sports car world.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2008, 12:09 AM   #16
last fairlane
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talking Fastest 4 door

Hi guys back in 1967 a mate of mine in Melbourne went to Coffey Ford now Ethridge and Bill Paterson Holden now Cheney and asked for a Fairmont/Premier in manual (3 on the tree) and got no where so he went to Max Manley now Mazdas also in Ringwood and asked for a Regal manual and was told there is no such animal so he played them off against each other and ended up with a Valiant Regal manual not like today where you get what you are given
might be the only factory/dealer one in existance
Hi geoff say hi to the old man
JOHN
PS the XY GT handled like crap also the RT Chargers and GTS Monaros the only one from that era that handled well was a BMW 2002 or Mini Cooper S my BA Fairmont would run rings around them
last fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post