Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 06-07-2008, 12:21 AM   #1
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has helped a number of AFF members with their cars, particularly with EEC tuning Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with sound technical advice. 
Default AU value

Hey having a thought just wondering what a 99 white au fairmont ghia v8 with 300,000km's on it, 3 inch straight thru exhaust, xr8 extractors with hi flow x force cats, crow 1317 cam, roller rockers, tickford suspension + wheels, tickford logo'd CAI, and kN filter, rear spoiler, in 300,000km condition, no dints in it, front bumber had recently been painted, rear bumber has a lot of touch up's on it from previous owner, be worth. I'm thinking not much? Getting sick of petrol prices and thinking a change in vehicles is require, Whats the general deal would i be better off taking the cam out and putting the car back closer to standard being that it doesn't have a tune/edit?

Old 06-07-2008, 12:44 AM   #2
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

I'll probably get flamed for this, but I personally reckon 5k or less.

AU's are becoming more and more unloved these days, and the market for V8s is definitely falling away -just ask anyone trying to sell one at the moment!

If it was me, I'd return it to stock, sell all the good bits seperately, and sell the car as a stocker.
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2008, 01:06 AM   #3
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by private9
I'll probably get flamed for this, but I personally reckon 5k or less.

AU's are becoming more and more unloved these days, and the market for V8s is definitely falling away -just ask anyone trying to sell one at the moment!

If it was me, I'd return it to stock, sell all the good bits seperately, and sell the car as a stocker.
If you're gonna get flamed then I am too as I agree with you, 7k at the absolute max but 5k is more realistic. Returning it to stock and selling off the goodies is a good idea too. The goodies won't really net you anymore with the car but you'd get something for them separately.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2008, 01:11 AM   #4
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has helped a number of AFF members with their cars, particularly with EEC tuning Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with sound technical advice. 

yeah i was thinking i'd be lucky to get 5k, i'm more thinking with the rather lumpy idle i'd probably get even less for the car.

Actually thinking about it the cars probably worth more in parts lol, its a sad case when you can sell off a car as pieces for more than you could sell the car.

Last edited by 5.0 ED; 06-07-2008 at 01:16 AM.
5.0 ED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2008, 01:16 AM   #5
Kryton

5K MAX - with the Kms on it already, the mods that you have done count for nothing cost wise.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2008, 01:35 AM   #6
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0whiteaughia
yeah i was thinking i'd be lucky to get 5k, i'm more thinking with the rather lumpy idle i'd probably get even less for the car.

Actually thinking about it the cars probably worth more in parts lol, its a sad case when you can sell off a car as pieces for more than you could sell the car.
Leather interior in good nick? I can tell you now, you WILL make more than 5k back wrecking it.
Old 06-07-2008, 01:49 AM   #7
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thats what i was thinking, but i kind of feel bad wrecking a car that really is mechanically and physically in very good condition, yep full good leather interior, mechanically the only thing wrong with the car is that it needs rear shock mounts. As i said im just weighing up different options, it just costs me too much in fuel everyweek, i go thru approx $200 in fuel per week, i could put it on gas but then im throwing more money into the car. And don't get me wrong i do really like the car, would have to have been one of the most reliable cars i've had. And its more that i look at it and go well i either get rid of it now and get what i can, or just keep it and drive it into the ground. and its more that the car just doesn't have the potential to be a really nice car, the paints faded and so on, as i said its like a car thats done 300,000.
Old 06-07-2008, 02:36 AM   #8
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
1966 XR falcon - one day i'll get around to finishing.
Id cash in and invest in that.
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2008, 03:06 AM   #9
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah well the AU could have a transplant engine for it. :dr_Evil:
Old 06-07-2008, 09:14 AM   #10
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0whiteaughia
yeah well the AU could have a transplant engine for it. :dr_Evil:
Wreck it, keep the engine and trans for the XR, and you'll still get your 5k. Problem solved!
Old 06-07-2008, 09:30 AM   #11
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

you could always keep it and put it on gas if you reacon it's got another 100000km in it. The way petrol prices are it'll certainly pay for itself soon enough, especially with the rebate.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2008, 11:45 AM   #12
sly
Sly like a G6

An Impco LPG system would set you back around $500 after the rebate. Not a lot when you're doing $200 a week in petrol. A well set up Impco system would barely lose any performance compared to petrol... and go harder with a Sniper tune to tweak up the timing.

As for having 300,000km up... I have 340,000 on my '99 Forte wagon. I saw an ex-NSW Police AU3 Futura wagon with 29,000km (that's not a typo, that's twenty-nine thousand) at the auctions a few weeks ago. It was in much worse nick than mine. If you've treated it well it'll go for a long time yet, and I bet that Windsor sounds better than anything else going.
The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?
sly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2008, 10:28 PM   #13
HLC
Audi S3

i would say about 5k too.

what about getting it tuned? it might be a bit kinder on fuel then?
Old 06-07-2008, 10:31 PM   #14
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out fellow AFF members... Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Daniels knowledge of modular engines and superchargers is extremely valuable to the AFF community. I have learnt quite a bit just reading his build threads. His contributions are often utilised by other members. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
i would say about 5k too.

what about getting it tuned? it might be a bit kinder on fuel then?
I completely agree Henri.

Getting it tuned will enable you to have an economy tune, a performance tune, and a valet tune.

Better economy and a kick in the pants..... you can't lose!

Daniel
CAT600 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2008, 02:14 AM   #15
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

oh yeah i have no doubt at all that the car has another 200,000km left in it, doesn't burn a drop of oil or leak any either. And as you know sly i've been waiting on the sniper, cause im not paying anyone to tune my car when i can do it myself. Im not one to pay others to work on my car. Along the same line of the tune, i'm winging about how much it costs to run and yet i got 900km's out of a tank last time i went on a long trip, and i get 500km driving to work and back, so my fuel economy isn't that bad i just do a lot of k's.

I was originally planning to pull the engine down soon and 347 it, maybe dart alloys, a twin throttle body manifold i planned to make and twin lpg mixers on it, but im adding it up and other things, and at the end of it, is the car going to be a nice car? Well no cause the paints faded, and well the car is starting to look pretty rough, so then i'd want to paint it, and so on so on.

Just thinking that i dont want to get into another one of the those cycles that happens with cars where you just keep putting money in and it just keeps losing value. What im thinking is to by some sort of 4cylinder and convert it to lpg and drive it to work and back. And put my money into the XR which is gaining value rather than losing it.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:44 AM   #16
BIGJB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Depends if you are going to sell it privately. Privately maybe 5k absolute tops.
If you were to trade it maybe 2k on a really good day. (Any more than that and the yard you are in has way to much start on what they are selling you.)
If you are aelling to a yard take the goodies off before you take it in as all it will do is make the dealer know it has been flogged and therefore devalue the hell out of the car. I get it all the time where guys say to ne all the work they have done and how well it now performs. It isn't what you want to say if you want top dollar.
BIGJB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2008, 07:38 PM   #17
HLC
Audi S3

wow. you get better economy out of your car than i get out my I6 which is basically stock.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:02 PM   #18
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Where are the pics of this car?

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2008, 10:22 PM   #19
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99GHIA
Depends if you are going to sell it privately. Privately maybe 5k absolute tops.
If you were to trade it maybe 2k on a really good day. (Any more than that and the yard you are in has way to much start on what they are selling you.)
If you are aelling to a yard take the goodies off before you take it in as all it will do is make the dealer know it has been flogged and therefore devalue the hell out of the car. I get it all the time where guys say to ne all the work they have done and how well it now performs. It isn't what you want to say if you want top dollar.
All true unfortunately.

I'd happily give you 2k trade price, thrash it, and then wreck it!!!
Old 09-07-2008, 02:06 AM   #20
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

HLC - yeah its running lean, and i mean very lean.

Haha private9 im sure you would.

Anyway its not going anywhere for a couple months yet, im still thinking about it, and im not going to rush into anything. But besides it all takes time, if say i decide to wreck it then i have to buy another car first so i can get to work and so on. Basically the weigh up is to get it gas and do my engine mods i want to do, which has to wait until january anyway cause thats when i have work holidays.

Thanks all for your opinions.