Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-06-2008, 09:48 AM   #1
Macca23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Car Bra Question?

I know car bras have been covered alot, but in my searching I didn't quite find the answer.

Can they be used ALL the time on the vehicle?
In the threads I read people (that use them) are only putting them on when doing the long trips etc. Not all the time, im sure all I will have to do is wash it more often.

I moved out of Sydney and now live out of Nowra, and have to travel through a fair few farms everyday and real crap raods! The front of my XR is coping a flogging. The rest of the cars fine, just gets filthy after any bit of rain but other than that its all good.

I will get in touch with Car bra Aus as they seem to be the pick. Of course they will tell me they are fine to use all the time! Just wanted to see if anyone else use's them all the time?

Other option is get bonnet protector, and lower grille (already have the head/fog light covers) and see how much more than can help, just wont help the scratches on the bar?

Cheers
Hayden

Macca23 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2008, 09:58 AM   #2
XR Lita
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In the paperwork that came with the car bra for my XR, it stated that it is not to be used as a permanent fixture. Only for long trips.

I'll pull it out of the garage, and write it up later.

: T1 TE50 #094 :
XR Lita is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2008, 10:36 AM   #3
boss-290

why dont you just wrap your car up in cotton wool?
Old 22-06-2008, 11:06 AM   #4
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

what about the clear bra 3m products?
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2008, 11:08 AM   #5
The Monty
Just slidin'

I used mine for about a month straight, even through the rain, and you arent supposed to, but it seemed fine.
Old 22-06-2008, 05:08 PM   #6
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laminge
Was going to suggest that but didnt know what it was called or who made it.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2008, 05:16 PM   #7
Macca23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laminge
Excellent idea, will give it a go! No better time other than now to test it!
Macca23 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2008, 05:39 PM   #8
TERRY TORRY

: With a car bra does the dirt, sh--, gravel and all get under the bra ? That would cut the sh-- out of your paintwork worse than stone chips. I myself think they look awlful and distract from the cars good looks. Bras are better looking on girls anyway. :
TERRY TORRY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2008, 03:12 PM   #9
fordOwner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

tip**

smear polish on paintwork under the bra before putting on. This acts as a "lube" and prevents paint wear.

I do this for my ute under the taunno cover to prevent the paint wearing off on the sides of my ute.

Click here to see my ute
fordOwner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2008, 04:40 PM   #10
Tobey
BF Ute...

We had one on our car, at high speed when travelling it would buffet in the wind and did more damage to the paint work than note having one.

BTW: Anyone wanna buy a Car-Bra for an Astra Convertible, used 3 times...
Tobey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2008, 06:01 PM   #11
F6T
Has V8 envy

In my experience, I wouldn't leave mine on for extended periods, especially where there is moisture build up either through condensation or rain.

All you need a bit of grit/dust/dirt and you will make some nasty marks in no time.

I only use mine for long trips where I know I'm going to be on the highway and stuck behind the odd seemi-trailer. Clean it between uses aswell.

The first time I used it I travelled 1,300kms in two days. By the time I got home, a rub mark had worn it's way right into the centre of the bonnet where the bra makes contact. there was a little patch of red dirt that had accumulated with a bit of moisture. It took a fair bit of cut and polishing to get it out and in the right light you can still see it - enough to crap you off anyway.

Keep it for long trips. If you want an everyday solution, the bra isn't the go IMO

GTX35/82r + 82lb injectors
Nizpro 4" exhaust
Plazmaman 1000hp IC/piping/BOV/plenum
Process West surge tank
Crow springs
TEIN super streets
6/4 brembos

TUNED BY BLUEPOWER RACING
F6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2008, 07:12 PM   #12
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

Last week I did a 600km return day trip in my GT in pouring rain with the bra fitted.....

Never again!!!!!!

No damage to the bonnet, but, where the clear head - light vinyl was rubbing on the scallops below the head lights on my front bar.............. major rub marks, clear coat gone.......

I can only presume it's because water suspended grit and road grime worked it's way down there, and as soon as it found the hard vinyl, made for a very efficient cutting compound. Everywhere else (where the bra has felt material) was ok, but it has still done damage per above.

BUT, this was in pouring rain, and on very average roads under construction. Got no paint chips, and picked up about a dozen chips to the wind screen............

I have learnt that the bra is a no no in the wet.

I still recommend them for dry conditions however.

The key is to ensure the bra is ABSOLUTELY spotless (and to your car) before putting it on.

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post