Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-05-2008, 01:15 AM   #1
xr6tgoodz

Default Insurance

Hi Guys,
i am looking to insure my Ba mk II XR8, and am having some issues with ridiculous premiums of 3k+.

Yes, i am only 21, but i have no accident history or claims and the car is garaged in a good area. does anybody have any advise on who to go with or how to get the premium down?

xr6tgoodz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2008, 06:45 AM   #2
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr6tgoodz
Hi Guys,
i am looking to insure my Ba mk II XR8, and am having some issues with ridiculous premiums of 3k+.

Yes, i am only 21, but i have no accident history or claims and the car is garaged in a good area. does anybody have any advise on who to go with or how to get the premium down?
Which is why you should shop for insurance before you shop for a car. Not knowing where you live it's difficult to determine what's a ridiculous price.

I pay $2k for mine, Rating 1, 37yr old in Sydney. If I was given a quote of only $3k at 21 I'd be absolutely extatic. I was paying $4500 for a Statesman in 1992.

Insuring in your parents name is a method quite a number of people use but I believe this stops you from obtaining a no-claim bonus as you get older. Upping the excess also helps.

I'm sure you can find any number of places that will give you much cheaper quotes but you want to go with a reputable company. You don't want your insurance company to work their hardest to not pay you out if something were to go pear shaped.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2008, 08:48 AM   #3
dave289
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
Which is why you should shop for insurance before you shop for a car. Not knowing where you live it's difficult to determine what's a ridiculous price.

I pay $2k for mine, Rating 1, 37yr old in Sydney. If I was given a quote of only $3k at 21 I'd be absolutely extatic. I was paying $4500 for a Statesman in 1992.

Insuring in your parents name is a method quite a number of people use but I believe this stops you from obtaining a no-claim bonus as you get older. Upping the excess also helps.

I'm sure you can find any number of places that will give you much cheaper quotes but you want to go with a reputable company. You don't want your insurance company to work their hardest to not pay you out if something were to go pear shaped.
It would seem your paying too much,try shannons insurance im sure you will get insurance much cheaper than this. At your age and rating one you should be paying a lot less.Im not saying your an old or anything im also 37 and pay a lot less on a similiar car.give it a go and see how you go.

As for the 21 yr old xr8 owner you will just have to shop around,good luck you will need it.
dave289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2008, 09:14 AM   #4
Ringo
I see you....

I had a 10 year European car at the age of 20 and I could just sense red alerts all over their screen when I rattled of my details and the cars....it was the mid 90's.

I ended up with RACV in the end after making about 10 phone calls.

Insurance was the primary issue I had when I was doing my research for a 2nd hand WRX around 2002...Prices started at $3,500

Spend the time to shop around and you'll be stunned by the prices variances - It can be hundreds
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2008, 09:18 AM   #5
mrgo40rd

could try just cars they are set up for under 25 drivers with modified cars

Member of 'Falcon Tickford FPV Club of NSW'
www.ftf.org.au
Nolathane, Whiteline and Whiteline PLUS enhanced
car care products 1300 006 007 (keep it looking clean)
mrgo40rd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2008, 02:16 PM   #6
PoMmYwOG

try famous car insurance. Fairly new company(used to be young and cool insurance)

http://www.famousinsurance.com.au

im 21 and live in syd and i got my BA XR6 fully comp for $2016 including(sunroof and leather too) my stereo and brake upgrade. Everyone else incl just cars wanted close to 3k or over. I have a clean record too. Good thing is famous also have a monthly payment option which im using.Excess from them is much cheaper also, only 900 from memory comapred to 2200 from just cars

Only thing you have to make sure is you provide them with every detail(mods, factory opts/accesories if any)otherwise due to their underwriting they will not cover you car if it had been in an accident or something unless what is on the car when they acess it is whats on the policy. They are very quick with claims too. I got hit up the backside and had my car booked in the next week to get done. 2 days and the car is back with me all shiny :

06' Mazda SP23
5spd auto
Luxury pack
PoMmYwOG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2008, 03:10 PM   #7
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave289
It would seem your paying too much,try shannons insurance im sure you will get insurance much cheaper than this. At your age and rating one you should be paying a lot less.Im not saying your an old or anything im also 37 and pay a lot less on a similiar car.give it a go and see how you go.

As for the 21 yr old xr8 owner you will just have to shop around,good luck you will need it.
Shannons were only a smidge cheaper. XR8 is going in a few weeks anyway.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2008, 04:28 PM   #8
hot_mini
Starter Motor

my xr6 ute is insured for only $950 a year. its cheaper than my old lancer and civic and i only just turned 20. its in my dads name and im down as a regular driver. so if you can get your parents to go down as the driver it helps
hot_mini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2008, 07:37 PM   #9
GTP370
2005 BA II GTP

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Excellent breakdown of costs associated with importing a pre-89 car from the U.S.  Very helpful to others and at least two other guys will use the provided info to make their dreams reality.. 

I have been with these guy's for the past few years which I found through AFF.

www.rynoinsurance.com.au
GTP370 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2008, 08:31 PM   #10
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

I am 31 Driving a 2005 XR6T my premium is $530 my excess is $500.

My Insurer is elders. I live in the sticks tho.....

Too many turbo toys......
2009 FG F6 Nitro LPI LPG 290rwkw on LPG.
2005 BAMKII XR6 Turbo with LPG (ex HWP 255,000k's and counting)
Honda 2001 CR500E Road registered CR500
Honda 1985 CR500 (the one with the arm ripping power)
DT200r regoed Hack
Yamaha IT/YZ 465 Vinduro rocket
Imported IT465 and 490 back up bikes
VF1000R mid 80's racer built by HMR
Honda CR480 Air cooled project road cafe racer.
T88 Turbo XT Falcon project with 351 Cleveland (mothballed)
Plus the rest.

TURBOTAXI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post