Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 23-04-2008, 11:57 PM   #1
macca1810

Default AU Battery Light comes on and off randomly

Hey
My au has for the last month been having the battery warning light on the dash come on and then always go back of within a minute. Had no problems for 3 weeks but then got a dead battery out of the blue. Charged the battery to full and it didn't hold but that's understandable considering its over 3 years old so replaced it thinking this would stop the warning light coming on but no such luck. Just wondering where my first port of call would be? Is this a common easily fixed problem? I hope so because i am busy as hell every day 12 hours for next month more or less seeding so don't have time to worry but i'm just hoping it won't wreck my new $105 battery. Hope someone can shed some light thanks in advance

macca1810 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2008, 12:24 AM   #2
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Battery light usually means your alternator is on the way out. Given that you have replaced the battery, the alternator is where I'd be looking next. Your local RACV/NRMA can test it and tell you if it's charging properly or not. And if you're worried about $105 for a battery, make sure you're sitting down when you ask for a price on an alternator.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2008, 12:47 AM   #3
big_fletch

as a auto elec the battery light as u mentioned generally means the altanator has had it, this normally means it is out of brushes. Because it is out of brushes it will probably chage the battery intermidently (i cant spell ) for a couple days before completly stopping.. A new alternator we sell at my work for about $285, then of course you got about and hour to fit.. Hope this helps
big_fletch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2008, 12:51 AM   #4
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_fletch
as a auto elec the battery light as u mentioned generally means the altanator has had it, this normally means it is out of brushes. Because it is out of brushes it will probably chage the battery intermidently (i cant spell ) for a couple days before completly stopping.. A new alternator we sell at my work for about $285, then of course you got about and hour to fit.. Hope this helps
As long as you can diagnose, we'll forgive your spelling.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2008, 01:03 AM   #5
big_fletch

haha yer sounds like a plan.. if ya dont wanna pay the 100 or so to get it fitted, ya got bout an hour and ya got a
-10mm socket and ratchet
-phillips head screwdriver
-10mm spanner to undo battery terminals
-pry bar or bar of good length and strength
Then i could post up some pics and guide ya through it if ya want with pics? if ya interested then let me know??
Chris
Old 24-04-2008, 01:27 AM   #6
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Another question ... is you power steer reservoir leaking as well?????
if it is ... that is usually a cause of failure of the alternator as well.

I drive around for quite some time with the battery lighting coming on intermittently as well ... a bit of revs stopped the light coming on (only usually when stopped in traffic idling).

I had the ute booked in to get the leak fixed and get the alternator fixed as well ... but didn't get a chance to make it ... I conked out as I was about to drive into a loading dock through a set of lights ... I dropped it in N and let it roll through (just).

NRMA came and fitted a brand new alternator for $300 ... and I was on my way again (1 hour wait for NRMA ... about 20 minutes for him to fit it).
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2008, 10:15 AM   #7
JMO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
haha yer sounds like a plan.. if ya dont wanna pay the 100 or so to get it fitted, ya got bout an hour and ya got a
-10mm socket and ratchet
-phillips head screwdriver
-10mm spanner to undo battery terminals
Then i could post up some pics and guide ya through it if ya want with pics? if ya interested then let me know??
Chris

I'd be interested in seeing a guide.
JMO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2008, 12:03 PM   #8
T-Pak Addict
Jim

Quote:

Chris
or you can fit a 3/8 ratchet drive into the tensioner and put it up to release the belt..... alot easier

thats what the square part in there is for......... to insert the drive head into

The Old Daily.......2003 Octane BA Taxi Pak Egas Falcon Build Thread
T-Pak Addict is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2008, 07:33 PM   #9
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if your power steering fluid is leaking into the alternator (evidence of fluid on the bottom of the pump and some on the alternator (not as obvious usualyl as it seeps into the holes)

just grab a can of circuit board cleaner or CRC lectra-clean and give it a REALLY good spraying
then let it sit for a while to allow the stuff to evaporate and then start up your car
should be sweet for a good while

as my batt light started flickering on startup somtimes
now shes fine after fixing the leak and degreasing and smothering the alternator with lectra clean
Old 24-04-2008, 07:44 PM   #10
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

just as a matter of interest Macca1810, how many k`s has your car got on it.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2008, 07:58 PM   #11
last fairlane
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs up battery light

hi guys my AU Fairmonts battery light comes on every day or two for about 10 minutes or so nothing seems to affect it reving turning lights on stopping and starting the motor it has a mind of its own then about 12 months ago the battery died I bought a new one $90 for a century I always liked century batteries the car starts and runs perfectly but the battery light still comes on and then goes off every 10 minutes or so all by itself for no apparent reason so I just live with it its annoying but what the heck
Thanks JOHN
PS mine has done 260Ks plus it is on factory (Tickford) gas
last fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2008, 10:37 PM   #12
Shambles
Knucklehead

I had this problem a few months back. The power steering high pressure line had a fine leak which dropped fluid into the alternator brushes.
The fluid then mixes with the brush dust to form a very effective grinding paste which unfortunately buggers the alternator.
Long story short; fix the leaking p/s pump AND fix the alternator or risk fixing the alternator twice. I got mine done for $230 c/o for the alt and $60 for the hose.
Hope this helps
Shambles is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2008, 11:30 PM   #13
big_fletch

Yer Au_falcon_99 u are right witht the 3/8 ratchet, however i am lazy and also find that a pry bar is easier for me anyway personal opinion haha..

But If any1 is interested in a guide for changing an altenator then i can do one up with picyures and see if i can get it posted in the tech area for every1 to use??
Reckon any1 would find it useful?
Old 25-04-2008, 12:02 AM   #14
b2tf
not here much anymore

would be a great guide to have.
Old 25-04-2008, 12:08 AM   #15
big_fletch

well i will get 1 together tomorrow and post it up here sometime in the next week, hopfully it helps someone out haha
Old 26-04-2008, 09:44 PM   #16
macca1810

That's for the info guys i was gunna guess it was the alternator because if it doesn't keep the battery charged properly it will wreck the battery. Looks like i'll be getting a new alt and from my inspection of it last week i don't think there was any leaks from ps. Car has done 238,888kms mik
macca1810 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2008, 07:41 PM   #17
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thanks mate , that seems a pretty fair life for an alternator , theres a reco one on ebay but no mention of warranty i can see, i think i`d go with a newey myself, heres the link anyway.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Reco-Alternat...80426092a17526
Old 28-04-2008, 09:59 PM   #18
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i stumbled across this while i was looking for a power steering hose for mine.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/FORD-AU-BA-6-...QQcmdZViewItem