Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-03-2008, 09:35 AM   #1
daniel_rossy
AU Falcon

Default Mechanic Put My Suspension Back The Wrong Way..

Well, the story goes that i had to get a roadworthy for my AU before i got it rego'd because i bought my car with bauld tyres (yes i bought a car with all bauld tyres but the car has only done 90,000k's and it was for $5000) and i wanted to get it rego'd under my name. To get this i had to get the rear bushes replaced because they were wearing says the mechanic. Anyways, got that done, got it on the road again and so my mate and i decided to go to see a friend 150k's away for her birthday. My friend was very suprised how well it handled in town and how smooth it was driving. After about 25k's out the road on 100kph i said oh you should see how well it handles at 100 its so good (mind you this is the first time i have drove it out on open road after roadworthy) so he went on a straight and flicked the wheel slightly and the back of the car felt like it was on soap with flat tyres. There was sooooo much bodyroll it was actually rather scary. the back tyres luckly didnt loose grip when i did it but at this time it was about 4.30pm and the temprature was 35. We decided to leave it for 10mins so we kept driving. After 10mins we did it again and there was still too much body roll, so much that when he slightly moved the wheel back it flicked to the other side. So we pulled over to see if the wheels were loose or the tyres were flat. Everything was good, so we kept driving (would of got RACV but no phone reception) it kept doing it the whole way and so we were forced to drive an extra 80k to get it looked at to where we originally wanted to go. Went to Ford in Horsham and he said it may be shocks or worn suspention but it didnt do this when i first got the car. So a different mechanic took it for a drive, slightly flicked the wheel and said 'woooooooooooooooooooooooow (insert swearing here)' this is not good. He immediately said that oh have you had the bushes replaced lately? Because most likely it seems like the rods were put back in the wrong holes (not much idea what this is). So we said yes got it done last week, the mechanic had alot of other things on so i think he would of had to get it done quick. He said yeah.. dont do anything stupid when driving it and drive 20k's at the least and reallly carefully under the limit if its raining because it might slide out from you.

I was just wondering if anyone has had similar experiences or think of anything else that would cause this or what should i say to this mechanic?
Im going to tell him about it today or tommorow because this only happened friday/saturday.
(this mechanic also stole like $2 out of my console and my bottle opener whilst getting this done : )

Last edited by daniel_rossy; 16-03-2008 at 09:42 AM.
daniel_rossy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2008, 09:44 AM   #2
boss-290

I'd Dob

If he is stealing form you aswelll as not doing his job properly. I'd Dob him in.
boss-290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2008, 11:51 AM   #3
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss-290
I'd Dob

If he is stealing form you aswelll as not doing his job properly. I'd Dob him in.
Agreed. Mongrels like this shouldn't be in the industry. You could have had an accident.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2008, 01:27 PM   #4
boss-290

And being an apprentice mechanic, I've seen foremans and service managers go off at mechanics for small things that they may have overlooked.

Imagine what this guy would be in for.
boss-290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2008, 03:14 PM   #5
nb_351
building the xe...

this guy would get a new a hole ripped and have no job after that if he worked with us...
how hard is it to put things in the same way they came out?
especially if theyre not symmetrrical...
useless...
and the stealing, thats just pathetic... the moneys not great but theres no need for that...
nb_351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2008, 05:58 PM   #6
daniel_rossy
AU Falcon

Yeah its not very good... Lucky we didnt have an accident.. Going to book it in n tell him all about it tomorrow.. But yeah i dont really mind that its $2 and a bottle opener.. I just had it sitting in my car because they came really handy for getting stuff thats hard to get into. I used it the morning i got there and put under the radio, got to school and thought naa he wouldnt touch it. Got back in it and it was gone. I dont really mind but its just the principle.
Old 16-03-2008, 06:03 PM   #7
nb_351
building the xe...

what if it was something like issue no 1 of australian muscle car you had sitting in your back seat or something...
i had my naman stolen a couple of months agao, we already had it paid off but its not the point...
or if you had a 50 dollar bill under your seat he might have assumed you didnt know it was there and taken it...
dont be so easy on them mate...
Old 16-03-2008, 07:30 PM   #8
daniel_rossy
AU Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nb_351
what if it was something like issue no 1 of australian muscle car you had sitting in your back seat or something...
i had my naman stolen a couple of months agao, we already had it paid off but its not the point...
or if you had a 50 dollar bill under your seat he might have assumed you didnt know it was there and taken it...
Yeah i guess. Ohh well my main concern is getting my car fixed and if he gives me ssh*t i will report him..
Old 16-03-2008, 09:29 PM   #9
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Agree totally! Think of what he might take off the next unsuspecting person. It was only a few bucks, but next time he might make off with a woman's ring, or someones credit card, or, or, or!

You've got to keep these kinds of people accountable. If he thinks he might get caught out, he just may think twice about doing it again.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2008, 09:31 PM   #10
ELtim
Six One Eight

Quote:
The issue 1 of Australian muscle car...Why on earth would somebody leave that in their car?

For Sale: Year Old Gas System
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=2644272#post2644272
ELtim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2008, 09:40 PM   #11
nb_351
building the xe...

welll i thought it was safe to leave my satnav in my car, but i know now its not lol
Old 16-03-2008, 09:56 PM   #12
daniel_rossy
AU Falcon

Took it for a drive just then now its slightly cooler. Defenetly somethings wrong... But yeah if he charges me im going to be sooo angry (which i will think he will do), i will just walk out n take the car. Feels like something is wrong with the front ones/steering also, its very vibraty/shakey. Wasnt like that before... :
Old 16-03-2008, 11:28 PM   #13
nb_351
building the xe...

did he rotate the wheels at all? probably didnt even balance them by the sounds of it...
dont just walk out of there without paying cause then your the one in the wrong...
make sure he knows your not paying for anything before they hop in it... otherwise your liable to pay as you let them work on the car...
Old 17-03-2008, 03:22 AM   #14
Gaz
Got Ghia?

bugger booking it in.

if hes put the in the wrong way just show up, tell him to fix it now, for free as you can't drive the car cause its unsafe.
Gaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2008, 03:43 AM   #15
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel_rossy
Yeah i guess. Ohh well my main concern is getting my car fixed and if he gives me ssh*t i will report him..
Get it fixed then report him for theft.

I don't understand why you're being soft on him?

He's stolen from you and endangered your life, it's not right so make sure he gets the justice he deserves.
Old 17-03-2008, 11:41 AM   #16
XCSEDAN
i'm baaaack....

get it fixxed somewhere else, if hes that retarded he's mixing up components i WOULD NOT be going back there...
XCSEDAN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2008, 12:32 PM   #17
TOASTED
JMM modded EF

whoa this makes me angry just reading it, i cant imagine how peeessed off you would have been. i would get your money back (including the $2) and take your car else where. what a rodent.

Guess the alcohol tax is turning people to mind altering drugs.
I drive : A heavily modified EF Fairmont with a JMM dev5 cam, worked head, 3.5" mandrel bent intake, exhaust, and a few other bits n pieces like a stally etc.

"She goes like a zirtek"

WANT A FAST FORD RING THIS BLOKE V V

Abbott Engines for HeadWork
20 years experience
PH Rob on (07) 5526 3883
TOASTED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2008, 03:29 PM   #18
groops

If you're going back there just turn up and demad that it be done on the spot...if he says no, call the RTA and anyone else that can come down and shut the shop. You should not have to pay for this...nor drive around in an unsafe car...

Mike
groops is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2008, 05:19 PM   #19
daniel_rossy
AU Falcon

Yeah guys thanks for the feedback!
I forgot to add that the Funny thing is that he forgot to charge me for the RWC lol. Which is $90.
Yeah went down just then, he said that most likely everything should be ok, but most likely i put smaller bushes in but it is a fairly straight forward job (when i got it done he said it was a complicated job)
And i said 'So, you dont think the bodyroll you gave me almost made us swerve off the road on a 38degree day at 100kph around a corner that is on a hill which looks like a cliff in the bush is ok?'
he said 'well it is a fairly straight forward job its hard to get wrong'
'but you said that it was a complicated job when i got it done 2 weeks ago?'
he said 'yes...but it has its difficulties'
i said 'what ever ya reckon, il take it down tomorrow morning so you can see whats wrong with it, i will see you at 8'
'ok'
and i walked out.

and if something is wrong im taking it to a local pedders store and getting it done there, and he is paying for it.
Old 17-03-2008, 05:22 PM   #20
daniel_rossy
AU Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigosmoddedEF
whoa this makes me angry just reading it, i cant imagine how peeessed off you would have been. i would get your money back (including the $2) and take your car else where. what a rodent.
Oh yeah mate, completely right.
Weighing up the ****sed off and the scaryness of driving a car that might flick out behind from you un-intentially, i would go for the ****ed off if i had to choose.
People have no idea how scary it is being in an unsafe car where there are lots of hills, corners and no mobile phone reception until they are in the position.
Old 17-03-2008, 05:26 PM   #21
daniel_rossy
AU Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz
bugger booking it in.

if hes put the in the wrong way just show up, tell him to fix it now, for free as you can't drive the car cause its unsafe.
believe me mate i aint paying him. _2:
Old 18-03-2008, 04:52 PM   #22
daniel_rossy
AU Falcon

WARNING... Lots of Rant.

Guess who i just saw?
'i have taken your car for a test drive and everything seems A ok!'
'everything is OK?????? Clearly my car is almost swerving off the road because of your ignorance!!! Are you sure you took it for a drive up around in 100k's zone or did you just take it for a spin up the street and back like how you usually cut corners??'
'Yeah well what car did ya mate have?'
'77 honda accord'
'he prob isnt used to the steering..'
'im pretty f&$^%n sure that the head mechanic from FORD who owns An AU THE same as mine would have the slightest idea that it feels like you have no back tyres!!'

Whilst my mother was tugging me out of the store.
So im taking it to Pedders and see what they have to say!
Rant off.
Old 18-03-2008, 05:13 PM   #23
Unco
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

try dealing with it in a civil manner next time. you might get people to cooperate more with you.

yes, get another opinion as well. see what they have to say at pedders.

as for complaining about the mechanic stealing $2 from you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel_rossy
I forgot to add that the Funny thing is that he forgot to charge me for the RWC lol. Which is $90.

... pot... kettle... black
Unco is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2008, 05:53 PM   #24
TEaaron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Do not pay a single cent to fix his f^#@ up.

Call who you gotta call threaten him with legal action. He will fix it.

E32 740iL Leather, sound system, rollin' on 19's
TEaaron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2008, 06:03 PM   #25
Kryton

exactly what "rods" were supposedly put back in the wrong "holes"
have you considered that your new tyres might be crap?
have you considered stuffed suspension to be the cause of body roll, i mean there were bushes that worn - whats that say about the rest of it?

im failing to see what exactly your so annoyed about.
you even said yourself you have no idea about any of it so how are you certain that there is a problem?
Pedders are no better - they will find a fault with a brand new car and quote $1000 work that needs to be done.
maybe get under the car and take some pics of the actual problem and post them up.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2008, 06:26 PM   #26
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Have to agree with davway on this one, Im lost as to what the mechanic actually did wrong and how you initially caused the problem to appear at 100ks...
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2008, 10:38 PM   #27
daniel_rossy
AU Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
exactly what "rods" were supposedly put back in the wrong "holes"
have you considered that your new tyres might be crap?
have you considered stuffed suspension to be the cause of body roll, i mean there were bushes that worn - whats that say about the rest of it?

im failing to see what exactly your so annoyed about.
you even said yourself you have no idea about any of it so how are you certain that there is a problem?
Pedders are no better - they will find a fault with a brand new car and quote $1000 work that needs to be done.
maybe get under the car and take some pics of the actual problem and post them up.
Mate im no mechanic but a experienced mechanic who works for ford told me this and that the bushes were put back the wrong way.
The problem is that its not as good as it was when i gave it to him, its a thing called 'duty of care', So your essentially saying you wouldnt be annoyed if a mechanic decided to steal your things, not put the car back together properly and put your life and mates life in danger, if we had to swerve for something on gravel or oil on the road i wouldnt be here.
Shocks, Suspension were replaced 1000k's ago at 90,000ks and wheels were balanced 2 weeks ago and too be completely honest i wouldnt care if the bill was 1g because i would rather my car to be safe than a car that could pop out from under you any second. Unless you dont value your life or mates life im not sure what is so confusing about understanding my annoyance.

Turns out that after my Dad went and picked the car up at 5.30, the car felt completely fine and very responsive as normal. The mechanic took everything apart, looked at everything and took it for a drive and said everything was A ok. We think that he is just trying to cover something.. Now the steering wheel doesnt vibrate as much as it used to (which was like a soft mobile phone vibrating) and doesnt feel like the back tyres are flat which is great. So all in all its ok but it would of been alot worse.
Old 18-03-2008, 10:42 PM   #28
daniel_rossy
AU Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unco
try dealing with it in a civil manner next time. you might get people to cooperate more with you.

yes, get another opinion as well. see what they have to say at pedders.

as for complaining about the mechanic stealing $2 from you...

... pot... kettle... black

Yeah well i originally wasnt annoyed but people from here have concinced me it is more the principle.

as GK explains...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
Agree totally! Think of what he might take off the next unsuspecting person. It was only a few bucks, but next time he might make off with a woman's ring, or someones credit card, or, or, or!

You've got to keep these kinds of people accountable. If he thinks he might get caught out, he just may think twice about doing it again.

GK