Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-03-2008, 04:22 PM   #1
Vitzmix
Starter Motor

Default Help!

I'm turning 18 in exactly a week, and going for my P's shortly after. ive been looking at the falcon BA XT 03' model, Its got my quite curious, but theres alot on my mind. First of all, im pretty sure its in the legal limit for a P plater (125Kw p/t) but just making sure, is it? another thing, reliability, i hear there were a few problems of something along the lines of 20% of ford XT's made from sept 02-late 03 with loose fuel pumps, dodgy brakes etc. The bigger question i have is the fact its a 4 litre engine, im curious as to how for fuel consumption goes, if its anything like some of the 3.8 holdens, i worked it out to be 1-2000 extra a year on fuel prices (im not the type to floor it from one set of lights to another) , or is it more conservitive like the new 3.6 litre engines. and all in all, what kind of all round drive/experience is it, and would u recommend it as a first car.

Vitzmix is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2008, 04:30 PM   #2
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Brakes usually warp, nothing that can't be fixed with a decent set of DBA/RDA rotors. Reliability is hit and miss like any car, there are great ones out there and lemons. Yes it should be in the legal requirements for power to weight, but ring vicroads, that is what i'd be doing. Fuel consumption is usually around 500km to a tank in the 2 ba's i've owned. I can't give you a comparison to a commodore as i've never owned one. You either want the ford or you don't, it's an easy choice.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2008, 04:35 PM   #3
Vitzmix
Starter Motor

Yeah i never usedto be a fan of fords, but theyve really caught my attention recently, and i cant find any good specs on the car on the net, so ive come here looking for opinions, just 1 questions, if u could own any other car (same pricerange obviously), would u? or would u keep the BA's?
Old 17-03-2008, 04:38 PM   #4
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

depends on auto or manual, but the fuel consumption is pretty damn good.
68 litre tank, youll get 450-550km/s a tank.
Old 17-03-2008, 04:39 PM   #5
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitzmix
Yeah i never usedto be a fan of fords, but theyve really caught my attention recently, and i cant find any good specs on the car on the net, so ive come here looking for opinions, just 1 questions, if u could own any other car (same pricerange obviously), would u? or would u keep the BA's?
i'd stick with what i like. B series shape will go down in history as one of the (if not THE) best Falcons ever designed. One day when i have money again i'll be back in a BA/BF. For all their issues, they're really nice cars. However don't overlook the au series 3's, for what they lack in visual appearance they make up for in drivability and reliability. XR's go cheapish now.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2008, 04:46 PM   #6
Steffo
LPG > You

Its quite within the legal P-Plate limit. 182kW and 1672kg is 108.85kW/tonne. 4.0litres and 1672kg is 2.39litres/tonne. Yep, well within all the limits.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2008, 04:47 PM   #7
Vitzmix
Starter Motor

yeah 500 for a 68 litre tank has me set, cheapish yes, cheap no :P, im not looking to spend that much, but yeah, the BA shape is what really got me into fords, theyre quite the lookers :P, any other advice while looking to buy one?
Old 17-03-2008, 04:53 PM   #8
Vitzmix
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
Its quite within the legal P-Plate limit. 182kW and 1672kg is 108.85kW/tonne. 4.0litres and 1672kg is 2.39litres/tonne. Yep, well within all the limits.
Oh sweet, didnt see your post, thanks alot. well that just about covers it.
Fuel consumption:decent, Problems with the car:easily fixed, Legal:yes, and ofcourse looks: as much as i hate to say it... siiiick mate. :P
Old 17-03-2008, 05:05 PM   #9
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you want to save money on fuel, look for one on LPG. It costs me roughly $40 to do approx 500kms in a car that is 10 years old.

Apart from that, a mate of mine has a BA (on petrol) and I haven't heard a single complaint from him about it.
Old 17-03-2008, 05:32 PM   #10
daniel_rossy
AU Falcon

I would recommend an EL XR6, they are very nice and are about 6-10grand, a few are going around with LPG which is what i would personally choose, or an AU2/3 but if you want to go that extra mile go for a BA, lots more power. Just after buying my 1st car, an AU1, i would prefer AU2/3 interiors, so the AU2/3 would be my option or an AU1 Classic. And now after i have bought some fuel for it, i would go LPG for sure if you dont want to bust your bank if you want to go for a drive/cruise and dont want to spend all your money on petrol and of course can do without bootspace
daniel_rossy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2008, 05:37 PM   #11
HLC
Audi S3

get an AU
Old 17-03-2008, 05:42 PM   #12
Vitzmix
Starter Motor

yeah well im still looking, skys the limit, whilst im on it, i just came across a BA on carsales, now its very sus, its done 88000ks 03 model and is selling for 8,500... i called the owner, asked for a service book, he said hes the second owner and doesnt have one, should i be sussed, or theres nothing to worry about,(its selling for 9000 with roadworthy)
Old 17-03-2008, 05:52 PM   #13
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

If it all checks out, roadworthy/title buy it.
The BA I6 is a dam good engine and light years ahead of it's direct competition.
Falcon Coupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2008, 07:24 PM   #14
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i'd just get one with service records if i was you.
Old 17-03-2008, 10:57 PM   #15
chubbyba
1tuphute

yeh ur in the green power 2 weight wise, iv got a ba xr6 so yeh its all sweet. ah im kind of a lead foot and im siting on 15.5ltrs per100ks. i do drive normal most of the time tho. if ur worried about the 1st model ba's that came out im pretty sure all the problems have been checked, but u can maybe go for a mk2 or an 04? just realy depends on what money you want 2 spend. oh and if you can find manual (and can drive it ofcourse) get it, holds it value more and better on fuel and like rossy said gas is a bonus 2.

hope it helps man
chubbyba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2008, 11:32 PM   #16
alecrain
'03 BA XT

Cool

I love my BA.
Brakes shudder but changing rotors should fix that for good.
My car's done over 125,000km and looks and drives beautifully.
As for the consumption you're looking at ~8-12 ltr/100km, getting one on SVI gas system is the best option- as you keep the power and pay ~$25 to drive ~450km in mixed conditions (city/Hwy).
If you can wait few months it'd be reasonable to buy a nice BA when people start selling them to buy the FG falcon.
Good luck on you driving test

Beautiful Photography Blog

2003 BA XT
IMPCO SVI - TYPHOON CAI +XR6T snorkel - K&N Panel Filter - DBA Slotties - Tint

1998 Toyota Landcruiser Prado

www.bseries.com.au/alecrain

Quote:
People that drive slower than ME are BAD DRIVERS,
People that drive faster are IDIOTS
alecrain is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2008, 02:51 PM   #17
PoMmYwOG

go the BA, very nice car to drive...much nicer than commodore equivalent...

06' Mazda SP23
5spd auto
Luxury pack
PoMmYwOG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2008, 02:55 PM   #18
Kryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitzmix
yeah well im still looking, skys the limit, whilst im on it, i just came across a BA on carsales, now its very sus, its done 88000ks 03 model and is selling for 8,500... i called the owner, asked for a service book, he said hes the second owner and doesnt have one, should i be sussed, or theres nothing to worry about,(its selling for 9000 with roadworthy)
this sounds like the same BA that someone else here bought without doing a title check and then had the repo guy on his door step to take the car away.
i wonder i fit is the same car?
anyone remember who the member was?
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2008, 03:13 PM   #19
Bucket
XR5 Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
this sounds like the same BA that someone else here bought without doing a title check and then had the repo guy on his door step to take the car away.
i wonder i fit is the same car?
anyone remember who the member was?
Agreed, I remember this one too....sounds remarkably like the one that was taken....right down to the money bought for.

Please, Please, PLEASE get the car REVS checked!!!

www.revs.com.au

Last edited by Bucket; 18-03-2008 at 03:31 PM.
Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2008, 03:34 PM   #20
Bucket
XR5 Pilot

Whoops.....

www.revs.nsw.gov.au
Old 18-03-2008, 06:57 PM   #21
Vitzmix
Starter Motor

yeah theres no way im getting it without atleast some clarification that its actually done 88000, its just so sussed, that the car has never been in any sort of accident, brand new set of Michalens that low milage, in pretty much perfect cond for 8,500, i mean i went to some dealer auctions today (need a dealership liscence to purchase the cars) and there were BA XT's going for 10.5, but not with 88000 on the clock, but 160-170000, a LPG wagon sold for 11500 and im pretty sure it was close to the 200000 mark. so unless i can confirm this guys not trying to jib me, ill guess ill haveto pass and keep looking. :(
Old 18-03-2008, 07:11 PM   #22
Kryton

the dealer auctions and dealer wholesalers are just as big a rip off as the dealers themselves.
try the normal auction where YOU can go without being a dealer.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post