Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 18-02-2008, 11:20 AM   #1
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Default XE Falcon Oil Warning!

Big problem. The oil warning light on the XE is on all the time and there is oil coming out of the exhaust.

The engine still starts and runs fine though. Lack of oil pressure?

Old 18-02-2008, 12:09 PM   #2
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

um I dont know how to tell you this, are you siting down

its fushinked, tooled, rooooooooted NFG

you get the picture

for the oil to get in to the exhaust it has to get in to the combustion chamber some how weather it through the valve guids or past the rings, is yet to be determind but as your oil light blinks I'm assuming its a really tired bottum end so I'm going with rings

these things will trundel along in this state for ever, I had cross flow 6 in an XC once that I used to sent the PCV vile to a 1L bottle (after the 2nd Air filter in as many weeks I desided it was the more cost efective option) and use it to top the oil up every few days and I put black tape over the oil light on the dash so it wouldnt give me the Sh!ts this continued for months till I had the time to pull her off the road and slot a Clevo between the rails

It never missed it never strugeled to start it never even oild up plugs

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
Old 18-02-2008, 12:32 PM   #3
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

In that case how much do you think it will cost to put a mild Clevealand and a new drivetrain in the XE??
Old 18-02-2008, 01:55 PM   #4
fmc351
let it burn

The mounts for 6 to Clevo are simple. The bracket the mount bolts to on the chassis is a bolt on bolt off thing, so no dramas there, just get some V8 ones, I think any from XA on fit (could be earlier). Disc brake diff needs to be from XE or later due to coil rear, XD and earlier are leaf (although you can mod them). I think the 6 cyl disc rear and 302 version are the same. V8 radiator. V8 accelerator cable and some loom mods, or a V8 loom.

Youll need front springs for V8. Brakes are the same AFAIK. So then its just the cost of the motor and box and gearbox crossmember (maybe), tailshaft and unis, and that varies in price like a piece of string. Obviously V8 ancillaries too.

Would need to be a Black Clevo for pollution rubbish too.

Im guessing though. Hope its a good XE, could be easier to find a complete one and convert it. XD would do, and just get the coil diff elsewhere.
Old 18-02-2008, 03:32 PM   #5
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

to be honust I would either fit a 2nd hand engine (the EB etc 4L fits with an electric fuel pump just swap your manifolds and distributor) or slap in rings and bearings, you can do them in the car on them just drop the sway bar and juck up the engine by the sump block the mounts and lif the head and sump off a quick hone rings and bearigns and she's runnen in the afternoon

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
Old 18-02-2008, 03:46 PM   #6
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

So what sixes can fit in the XE??

Can the AU six fit with much difficulty?
Old 18-02-2008, 03:52 PM   #7
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekism
Big problem. The oil warning light on the XE is on all the time and there is oil coming out of the exhaust.

The engine still starts and runs fine though. Lack of oil pressure?

It's a XE, Ireckon you got about 20,000k left before you have to do anything about it, just keep some oil in the car.
Old 18-02-2008, 04:11 PM   #8
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlewy86
It's a XE, Ireckon you got about 20,000k left before you have to do anything about it, just keep some oil in the car.
Only problem is the dipstick reckons the oil is full!

Is the oil warning light oil level or oil pressure?
Old 18-02-2008, 04:22 PM   #9
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

I'm not sure if oil coming out of the exhaust is still a symptom.

It no longer is really spitting oil and on closer inspection it looks more like water+cr@p in the exhaust than oil and it also doesn't stain my driveway like oil it wipes straight off.

Could it possibly a electrical problem?

My alternator light kept coming on at random intervals and would turn off if I turned the lights or radio on.

I did take the XE for a swim a few times lately during the heavy rain. At one point she was in so deep that my airbox filled up with water and the car stalled so I had to scoop water out and she was spluttering and pi$$ing steam for a bit so it's fair to say she went for a good swim
Old 18-02-2008, 04:32 PM   #10
plext
Forum Director

Post it in the relevant area.
Closed Thread