Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-05-2005, 01:51 PM   #1
SinisterHorze

Default Vaporate fuel saving device: What are your thoughts???

I watched Today:Tonight the other day and saw this product. :

http://seven.com.au/todaytonight/story/?id=20834

Wondering what others think of this device and how reliable such a device can continue to make these claims?
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2005, 08:48 PM   #2
xdc351
X-Series Club Moderator

Saw it on TV. If the results are genuinely as good as they claim then its a brilliant idea and congrats to the designer.

The sceptic in me kicks in when they start talking about the idea being decades old, but yet not one car manufacturer has actually used it..... Perhaps becuase its not reliabale? Doesn't actually work? Not sure... yet. Strange too that they chose an LPG conversion company to do the testing. Something just doesn't sit right about the whole thing.
xdc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2005, 09:08 PM   #3
seano14
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdc351
Saw it on TV. If the results are genuinely as good as they claim then its a brilliant idea and congrats to the designer.

The sceptic in me kicks in when they start talking about the idea being decades old, but yet not one car manufacturer has actually used it..... Perhaps becuase its not reliabale? Doesn't actually work? Not sure... yet. Strange too that they chose an LPG conversion company to do the testing. Something just doesn't sit right about the whole thing.
wouldnt petrol mist still burn?
seano14 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2005, 09:11 PM   #4
xdc351
X-Series Club Moderator

Injectors and carby's already turn petrol to mist, thats how they work. The designer is claiming they only turn 80% of the liquid into mist and therefore 20% is wasted. His design claims to atomise 100% of the fuel thus running cleaner and more powerfully.

Like I said, great in theory. But I'm not convinced there's not a down side we haven't yet heard of.

Last edited by xdc351; 25-05-2005 at 09:14 PM.
Old 25-05-2005, 09:32 PM   #5
seano14
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdc351
Injectors and carby's already turn petrol to mist, thats how they work. The designer is claiming they only turn 80% of the liquid into mist and therefore 20% is wasted. His design claims to atomise 100% of the fuel thus running cleaner and more powerfully.

Like I said, great in theory. But I'm not convinced there's not a down side we haven't yet heard of.
ah sorry my bad. i agree that it sounds good in theory, i guess even if there is a downside at least some people are trying!

on a side note, i hear stories about one of my great grandfather's being threatened by fuel heavies because he managed to get an engine to run on fuel vapour back in the 50's. just buy sucking it out from the top of the tank probably. reckon that is possible?
seano14 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2005, 09:53 PM   #6
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

doesn't sound too viable... I'm pretty sure that a carby (or injectors) would be an improvement on that setup. The fuel pump pumps liquid fuel from the tank through the fuel lines to the motor, where the fuel is then atomised by the carby (or after getting squirted out of the injectors). That way the "ready" fuel is very close to the motor for being in a vapour state (and it's easier to shift it as a liquid than as a vapour)... I think that makes sense?

Think of a converter for LPG. Otherwise they'd just set it up so that it's gas in the lines all teh way to the tank (this way seems dangerous and inefficient though!).

-Dave-
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2005, 09:53 PM   #7
xdc351
X-Series Club Moderator

Well yes, there's a congrats in order for trying, but if your injectors are all fried after running the heaters for 20,000kms in hot weather (purely hypothetical) I doubt you'd be as keen on the fuel savings they delivered.

I'd like to see the testing they did before bringing the product to market more than anything.

As far as your great grandfather's invention, anythings possible!
Old 26-05-2005, 12:33 AM   #8
xyute
A.k.a wolf159

There's been so many fuel saving gadgets over the last 20yrs that I can remember I remain a bit of a skeptic....

I saw one a few years ago that fitted to the gas pedal, turned out to be a big spring....
xyute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2005, 02:41 PM   #9
xr8 utey
FORD DRIVERS WANTED!

Talking

anything to do with today-tonight and that namoi chick is really dodgy py:
Old 26-05-2005, 03:12 PM   #10
EA2BA
PM me if you want

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=10667

I did already run a thread on this device here, with a POLL

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2005, 03:29 PM   #11
Duffman
Oh Yeah!

How long do these injectors last? If they last like 20,000 km and cost $290 for the kit then I can't see you save anything at all.

It probably costs next to nothing to manufacture if only someone on ff could make them.
Duffman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2005, 03:49 PM   #12
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Its just a little metal collar that goes on the end of an existing injector, and best can be seen is that it transfers heat to the injector to make it hot and vapourise fuel.

No longevity tests of injector life or product seem to have been done, very good point.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2005, 06:45 PM   #13
SinisterHorze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellboy999
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=10667

I did already run a thread on this device here, with a POLL

Sorry dude. Didn't see your thread and when i did a search using that name nothing came up. Good to see we are both interested in the opinions of others that might not have seen the program. There have been some good points raised in both threads.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post